1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first outing with the 9mm RO Elite Compact. Ok, now I see why so many love the 9mm 1911 pistol-absolute kick in the pants to shoot. So little recoil, accurate, this gun ate every type of ammo I fed it, used the flush fit 8 round Wilson mags-need to buy more, glad they're on sale right now LOL.

My traditional first outing is shot at 15 yards, here's my target with a mix of 115 Winchester fmj and Federal 124 HST. Couldn't be happier with how it shot and handled, no functional issues of any kind.

However haha, there was one tiny little problem. The red fiber rod disappeared on round # 5!! No idea where it went, SA includes extras thankfully so now I need to make sure the replacement doesn't go anywhere. This will make a great edc piece once I get the fiber squared away. Here's a couple quick pics-the target and the pistol, front sight w/o fiber.

Threw a few rounds when I rushed my initial shots. Fired with the target facing me for 3 seconds then turning away for 5. Repeat.

No little red tube ahahaha, grrrr

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,254 Posts
I have had to replace the rod in the front sight of my Colt Competition too many times. I am sending the slide off to get a new sight.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have had to replace the rod in the front sight of my Colt Competition too many times. I am sending the slide off to get a new sight.
What are you replacing it with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking up some youtube vids I tried the recommended method of using a lighter to heat up the ends of the replacement rod. Nothing doing, I was getting very close to putting the flame right up to the rod and it still didn't mushroom. No biggie, during the week I'll stop in to see my friendly neighborhood gunsmith and just let him take care of it.

Can't wait to get to the range again with this little pistol, tons of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
After looking up some youtube vids I tried the recommended method of using a lighter to heat up the ends of the replacement rod. Nothing doing, I was getting very close to putting the flame right up to the rod and it still didn't mushroom. No biggie, during the week I'll stop in to see my friendly neighborhood gunsmith and just let him take care of it.

Can't wait to get to the range again with this little pistol, tons of fun to shoot.
Once it heats up, flip the lighter over and smash the fiber down onto the sight - making a bulb. Do that on both ends, this way the rod can’t work it’s way out in either direction.

Replacing a rod doesn’t take a gunsmith. Good luck and great shooting!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, it shouldn't require a smith. Just to clarify you're saying to use the lighter to smash down on the rod? I tried the end of a polymer 1911 tool but the rod didn't get hot enough to bulb. The vids warned against getting the flame actually on the rod to prevent it becoming brittle and prone to breaking.

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I agree, it shouldn't require a smith. Just to clarify you're saying to use the lighter to smash down on the rod? I tried the end of a polymer 1911 tool but the rod didn't get hot enough to bulb. The vids warned against getting the flame actually on the rod to prevent it becoming brittle and prone to breaking.

Thanks for you help!
Yeah you need more heat, get the flame a little closer. You’ll be able to see the rod melting and shrinking. Once it gets closer to the sight, smash it down with the bottom of the lighter and make the bulb. Then do the same thing on the other end.

Reactions: Doc45 and ronin11

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nice thing about these pistols is that they come with extra rods and Springfield is sending me some more gratis. Great customer service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts