1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Not sure a range trip is in the cards for today, but I did go back in to take a look at the trigger. I pulled out the remaining fire control parts and came to the conclusion that they were just as bad as the hammer.

Everything MIM. I didn't feel like trying to salvage any of it. What surprised me the most was the hammer pin - that sucker wasn't even stainless, it was blued carbon steel AND had some of the worst "machining" marks I have ever seen. I mean, is a MIM pin even machined?

I am guessing that the pins are NOT MIM, but have been cut from and formed from some type of roll stock. I have never seen any pin in a 1911 with this kind of circular striations. Everything you see got replaced.

View attachment 542525
I’ve never seen a hammer pin like that before, hell, or any pin...

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I thought I would continue reports of "progress" in this thread.

So I managed to get the beavertail grip safety INSTALLED, but after @Slapshot shaming I went to investigate the difference between "fitting" and "blending." Of course, my first look at this topic was via UberTube and MosinVirus's blending videos.

Oy vey . . . .

Anyway, this is what it looks like now. I guess I am needing to "blend" it next. And I thought "blending" was something you did to an adult beverage . . . .

I'll start the process with the second, and then migrate to the first . . . . .

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

Engineering Blade Office equipment Hunting knife Steel

Aerospace engineering Space Engineering Aircraft Machine

Grey Walking shoe Outdoor shoe Silver Plastic

Grey Machine Engineering Plastic Office equipment

Metal Composite material Wire Steel Carbon

Carbon Synthetic rubber Metal Composite material Engineering

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Carbon Tread Bicycle tire

Discussion starter · #28 ·
We should teach a class together like @Joe C does. We could call it 1911 Community College :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:
I just spit coffee all over my screen . . . . .

I've done a total of 2. 1 by hand that turned out OK and another one using a jig and a mill that turned out pretty nice. Wait until you have to blend it :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:
Ear Lip Cheek Mouth Hairstyle

I have an issue with MIM regardless of how good it might be. I'm about to try one of the Wilson "low" thumb safeties. Possible help these old hands
Uncle Bob, my ‘Smith just fitted a Wilson low lever to my SA. I like it a lot. Much better for my hand, vey positive off/on snap, etc. Next up is one to replace the extended safety that came on my Commander. I don’t know if the parts that are coming off are MIM or not but I needed the change.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Got some new shoes for the Springer today. Now I've gotta take them home and cut an ambi-safety recess in the right one.

Brown White Metal Everyday carry Black

Discussion starter · #33 · (Edited)
Discussion starter · #37 ·
Discussion starter · #40 ·
I have nized
Until I can Bubba it myself, it will have to be stainless - budget you know.

Chrome Stainess? Why?

When I had my series 70s done, never needed a new holster.

It's a long story. I'll see if I can dig up a link to that thread.

Z

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.