1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a fixed sight SA Garrison. I have plans to replace both sights.

I have read that the sight dovetails cuts on SA are 60*. Novak cuts are 65*.

With the factory sights still in place I measured the dovetails best I could, have: .495" rear and .338" front. These dimensions seem to coincide with a Novak cut.

If you have any knowledge of this let me know, I emailed SA received no reply.

sparx

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I picked up a fixed sight SA Garrison. I have plans to replace both sights.

I have read that the sight dovetails cuts on SA are 60*. Novak cuts are 65*.

With the factory sights still in place I measured the dovetails best I could, have: .495" rear and .338" front. These dimensions seem to coincide with a Novak cut.

If you have any knowledge of this let me know, I emailed SA received no reply.

sparx
Probably because today’s Sunday…

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went through this process after I purchased my Garrison. After receiving a response from SAI customer service I reached out to John Harrison to orders sights. He questioned the customer service answer and reached out to the SAI Custom Shop directly for an answer. What he was told by them is what gocanes posted in post #4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went through this process after I purchased my Garrison. After receiving a response from SAI customer service I reached out to John Harrison to orders sights. He questioned the customer service answer and reached out to the SAI Custom Shop directly for an answer. What he was told by them is what gocanes posted in post #4.
Thank you very much, just getting tired of buying sights that don't fit

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to file one angled surface of each sight since they were too large, but I have the tools for that and have done this many time before. I have a 65* file from Brownells, had to be extra careful with the front since it is 60*.

I use a sight pusher I got from Ebay years ago, which is a kind of universal home made type, but it works great.
sparx

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard for me to explain how to file and how much to file. First don't file the slide!
Remove existing sight, then try to push the new sight into the dovetail, with your thumb. For me, if it goes 1/3 the distance I may not file the sight at all. If it advances 1/4 the way then I file ONE surface only on the sight. Of course the key is to keep the file cuts even across the surface, 3 or 4 strokes then try to push the sight into the slot.
Having the Brownells 65* file makes this much easier.
sparx

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok thanks ,I think I may just send the slide in like someone else said. I was in a accident years ago and have some problems with my hands , been a real pain had to learn how to shoot over again ,so sounds like it might be better for me just to let them do it . But thanks dor the help . I was kinda hoping it was just a drop in ? Guess I should of checked before I bought it lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still am amazed on how good of a pistol the Garrison is. I did some work to improve trigger, didn't take much effort, and I purchased a new bushing from EGW built tighter than the factory SA bushing. Gun is a great shooter, and has never jammed.
I did replace the extractor since the factory was not properly adjusted and MIM, so I installed an Ed Brown milled extractor.
I should buy another one of these but trying to keep down volume of stuff these days.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I had to file one angled surface of each sight since they were too large, but I have the tools for that and have done this many time before. I have a 65* file from Brownells, had to be extra careful with the front since it is 60*.

I use a sight pusher I got from Ebay years ago, which is a kind of universal home made type, but it works great.
sparx
Sounds like an older Ed Jennings pusher; which is what I still use…

·
Registered
38 Posts
I still am amazed on how good of a pistol the Garrison is. I did some work to improve trigger, didn't take much effort, and I purchased a new bushing from EGW built tighter than the factory SA bushing. Gun is a great shooter, and has never jammed.
I did replace the extractor since the factory was not properly adjusted and MIM, so I installed an Ed Brown milled extractor.
I should buy another one of these but trying to keep down volume of stuff these days.
Spark did the milled extractor help? Or was it worth it I guess?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts