Springfield Armory GSP 2000 Gunsite Service Pistol 1911

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Apr 19, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I recently purchased this Springfield Armory “GSP 2000” Gunsite Service Pistol from one of our esteemed members. It has seen some use in its estimated 19 or so years since inception, but is in excellent mechanical order.

As I typically do with any 1911 coming in, I changed-out the recoil spring and firing pin return spring with Wilson Combat components. The gun was quite clean on arrival, though I did wipe it down as if it wasn’t, Flitzed the “load-bearing surfaces” of the internals, then lubed.

The first range session was 550 rounds long - I literally shot all the .45 ACP ammo I had with me. A mix of FMJs and JHPs, brass- and aluminum-cased...the GSP (Gunsite Service Pistol) didn’t care, it ate it all with zero stoppages. Most of my shooting was at 10-yards vs. IDPA Tan paper targets, shooting 2- and 3-shot strings including some Mozambique Drills.

I cleaned the gun and all six mags (all Wilson Combat 47s, the 7-rounders) that I’d taken with me, then gave the extractor just the slightest tuning (a’la Jason Burton’s excellent video on the subject) as I’d noted just a few pieces of brass (or aluminum) flung toward my face...not a big deal, but I wanted to see if I could make things better.

The next day, it was back to the range with the intent of shooting only 100 or so rounds and just two magazines, mostly to test my extractor work. 100 rounds became 200 rounds which became 300 rounds...and my range bag was again emptied of ammo.

850 rounds total in two days. Still no stoppages. And ejection appeared to be more consistent. The only casualty of the marathon sessions was my dishpan right hand (ha!) - the contour of the grip safety seems a shade more pronounced, for some reason, and my delicate paw was a little sore. Aw. I know - “Buckle Up, Buttercup!”

The night sights on the gun are, of course, long gone (note the year “00” on the rear sight in one of the pics). I’ll likely go with a plain black rear and brass bead front combo at some point; in the meantime, a carefully-applied coat of Testors orange paint on the front slight blade (visible in a couple of the pics) was a big help during the second session.

The frontstrap of the gun has a squared-off contour. I don’t know if this was typical of Springfield 1911s of the era or something that Gunsite themselves specified. It’s not bothersome to me. I’d originally intended to apply some grip tape to the frontstrap, but I may hold-off on that for now. I’ll consider having the frontstrap checkered, but that would require refinishing. And I’m planning to keep using the Gunsite grip panels as-delivered - it only seems right!

A note on the finish - it appears to be a satin-blue. The pictures don’t do justice to the worn hue of some pieces of this gun versus the overall just plain good looks the piece has. I’m not in favor right now of any refinishing of the gun, which, as noted, affects the potential for checkering. We shall see down the line on this.

After the next cleaning, this gun will formally enter my “line-up” of carry 1911s. Though it will most often ride in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster, something like the vintage Bianchi Askins Avenger looks real good wrapped around this Gunsite 1911.

347CAA8F-C813-46BA-9DB0-C22DF72989DF.jpeg 03BEEB20-4048-41E8-88FD-46610976D16D.jpeg 5CD102AE-CAAB-4A6C-8481-6D97A913E9F5.jpeg DB1C1FE4-34A8-4163-A4CC-F11B6028A877.jpeg 86EFA15D-4B02-48B9-9B4B-E210581D55A7.jpeg 85536248-D9AE-4C3C-B41E-89B3FAEC1760.jpeg Hi AAB725D2-C895-4754-9D67-D19D5E23E761.jpeg 97E7F0A1-ED60-48F1-82D5-A2B005B72877.jpeg

BigSkyGuy, sr-1911, JohnK and 20 others like this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    You do have excellent taste! I love the ring hammer.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
  4. Les White

Les White Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Great pistol with an excellent wringing out and writing up!

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Dang missed this tread for some reason. Great looking gun!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to be a real shooter. Congrats sir.

6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
  7. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Great review, and congrats on that Gunsite Springer, awesome.

8. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
  9. RS.

RS. Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Love it!!

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
  11. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
  12. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    I have a bit of a general question here, but to all of those that have owned Gunsite 1911's- Do you feel they're better put together than their similar models. Better trigger, or build quality etc?

I've only had a S&W PD Gunsite, and while I thought it was good, I am just curios if they're something I really should have on my radar, or are they just branded, and nothing more?
    I guess I'm more interested in the Colt, and Springfield models.

13. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Not an owner of a Gunsite pistol, but have handled and shot one, they appear to be a tad better then the standard off the shelf offering, the one I handled and shot was an older commander model, Better is subjective?

Upgraded Sights, trigger (four pounds, crisp) light dehorn, I also believe they use tool steel internals? (From GS website) and remember you have to cost in the raven, I think the new Gunsite colts are out of the colt Custom shop no idea if anyone at Gunsite looks them over.

14. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Thank you for the info, I couldn't find much on the subject! I looked pretty hard at their modern Colt offering they have on sale.
    Sorry for the thread derail @WhoIsJohnGalt?

15. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    @Bloodhound no apologies needed - I like the discussion on any of the GSPs out there.

Interesting that Les Baer is now stepping into the GSP arena following the demise of their long-running Thunder Ranch Special.

16. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Could you comment on the pinned vs glued extractor problem some SAs have, and what parts do you think are MiM?

17. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    @Kevin Rohrer I can say that my GSP had quite a loose ejector. I don’t know if it’s because it had been glued or if it was loose from hard use, or perhaps both. The gun had surely been run hard (but I believe also well taken care of along the way). When my gun finally had a significant malfunction (hammer follow-through and ignition upon chambering a round), the ejector was among the parts replaced and, I believe, pinned at that time.

I’m honestly not sure what parts might have been MIM in the gun. Was MIM a “thing” in the 1999 / 2000 era?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  18. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    MIM supposedly started 20-25 years ago.

19. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Ejector maybe?

20. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    I meant ejector in my reply, too - just updated my comments haha. :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted