Springfield Armory GSP2000 - Back to the Range

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Sep 27, 2020.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Following the recent re-acquisition of this Springfield Armory GSP2000 (Gunsite Service Pistol) from a fellow Addict, I recently made it to the range for a quick session to “reconfirm” function.

To say “reconfirm” is, admittedly, a bit silly. The gun was solid as a rock when I’d sold it, it having seen the skilled ministrations of Steve Owens last year and my having logged north of 1,000 rounds through it before selling it. Both the Addict I’d originally bought the gun from as well as the Addict I later sold it to / bought it back from took good care of it; however, being an Addict myself and one with a touch of OCD, I had to pull the gun apart and clean it (it was, frankly, quite clean already) and replace the recoil and firing pin return springs (again, springs that likely had lots of life left in them - it’s just “one of those things” with me) before heading back to the range.

I only had time to run 122 rounds through the gun, but they were 122 wonderful rounds that reminded me what a great 1911 this is, at least to me. My shooting was at 7-10 yards, 2- and 3-shot strings using the gunleather shown in one of the pics below: a Bruce Nelson Combat Leather Summer Special IWB (from Erik Little’s revived BNCL line) and a single Galco Concealable OWB pouch. Magazines were, as always for me, Wilson Combat 47 seven-rounders.

I’d put a set of Pachmayr wrap-around grips on this gun briefly but missed the original Gunsite grips too much. A nice swatch of stair-safety tape gives me purchase across this older Springer’s somewhat squared-off grip frontstrap (the dust cover shows a similarly squared-off profile, something akin to SAs of the era as I understand it). I’ve pondered having the frontstrap checkered, but that would necessitate a refinish, and that would take away all the great wear and character marks this gun has been dealt thus far over 20 years. For now, at least, the tape will do.

Target shown was shot at 7 yards, again in 2- or 3-shot strings from leather, the final rounds of the range session.

Now recleaned, lubed, and function-checked, the gun is back “on duty” with me.

E1E402DD-C5CD-47A9-87BD-EDFD363FBE3B.jpeg

5EFD9543-5DD6-4FF5-A4D0-039F8DC1779A.jpeg

6A7B8404-C2AC-411A-8061-E032AC800398.jpeg

CD1CFF49-B094-4DCB-8B73-410B52BA3409.jpeg

A3ADFA94-669F-4AA6-B937-633E825466B1.jpeg

1911 crazed, 5pt56, RMF308 and 13 others like this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Good job. Ever try a flat trigger?

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Thank you! And, no I’ve not. I’ve heard / read very good things about them.

4. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    When I switched to using a curved trigger on my RO Champion, I was milking the rounds left too. Takes work, but now I can do it. However my 45acp pistols except another RO waiting for parts, all have flat triggers. They helped me when I started shooting IPSC in the 70s and I still prefer them.

Might help you tighten up those groups.

5. RMF308

RMF308 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Looking great, I wouldn’t change a thing. Thanks for the update as it’s always great to hear about any GSP. Love the newly crafted Bruce Nelson SS too.

6. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I sure do miss that one...;)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted