close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield Armory Longslide

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Kokopelli, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I'd been looking for a longslide for some time and looked first to Springfield. It was rather disappointing to learn that the "loaded" model was their only offering in the longslide format and even more so the (N#) Imbel. My experience has been that the N numbered Imbel's are a little rougher finished and the longslide would support that assumption. The one I traded for was pretty good other than a rough feed ramp and over-cut beavertail tangs. The pistol also has flash chromed controls rather than stainless as my NM models have. The LGS had it priced at $1079 I believe and I traded a SIG Blackwater (1911) for it.. I was a good shooter and was accurate enough with hardball. The trigger was pretty good and the front sight was in the right place.. LOL.. It wouldn't even feed a hollow point, although that wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. I just wanted it for a range pistol. Here's what it looked like when it arrived.

[​IMG]

The first thing I did was take it to my friend and pistolsmith Jay Crowder for a little makeover. We stripped all the flash chromed parts, except the plunger tube, extractor and FPS and ordered replacements. I like the Caspian hammer and the Ed Brown ignition parts, slide stop, wide single-side thumb safety and extended mag release so we went with those and used Smith and Alexander parts for the magwell and grip safety. That's where we hit a snag with the over-cut tangs. Jay wouldn't have any part of leaving an unsightly gap so it needed to be wielded up and recut.. an expensive endeavor that I hadn't counted on. I also wanted to try the Hi-Viz overmolded green fiber optic front sight ($31 shipped at Amazon). I also had him checker the front strap at 20lpi, flush-cut and bevel the muzzle as well as under-cut the slide stop. That was back in March or April.. With summer vacations, other business, etc.. It was finished only last weekend and I picked it up Sunday. It really turned out gorgeous and everything looked as I wanted. I took it to the range for a hundred last Tuesday and it's spot on. The trigger has only the slightest pre-travel (pet peeve) and breaks clean at around 3 1/2lbs. I didn't measure it, but that's what I ask for and it feels right. I like the Cylinder and Slide long smooth trigger, so I generally use those. The checkering is great and I'm thinking that's what I'll do on the P19134LP as well. The ramp was recut and polished, it feed anything I tried and ran like a deer. At 15 yards, it would put one hole touching the other for me (I'll take that) and the same for my two friends that were running the range that day. Nothing changed or loosened up and cleaning afterwards held no surprises. I had considered going with a Baer or other upper class 6" and I probably have as much in the Springfield as I would have had in the Baer; the time frame was about the same as well. BUT.. I like my Springfields and it sure is pretty now.. Here's what Consuela looks like now.. Cheers.. Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011

3. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    WOW. That thing is sick!!!

4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool, Ron. Those grips are most excellent.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    We should have a grip thread shouldn't we???? on

6. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    very nice springer, I really like the long slide

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    that is a sharp longslide

8. Trigger

Trigger New Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ron........Wowww.........Looks great......:jaw:

9. Midliferally

Midliferally Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I want one of those!!! Dang it...Congrats, that's a beaut....

10. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    That looks awesome Ron! Congrats!

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    It's really got me fired up again. I can't wait to have the Conchita(9mm) tricked out like Consuela (longslide). My new Wolff recoil spring arrived yesterday and needs to be fitted. They don't rate them like the 5" springs and they have to be cut to length. WTF. It doesn't look to me like it would be a problem to add an inch calibrate the load/rate, but what do I know. It's 0.045" diameter and as long as a M14 spring.. Seriously.. It's twice as long as the 5" springs.. I can design a spring gauge and have people that can machine it for me, but that seems like overkill. I suppose I'll just count the coils, cut the spring and see how it feels and runs.. Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted