1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone loans you a good rifle that makes me look this good at 100 yards in a prone with a sling and iron sights, you need to brag on their gun! Springfield M1A (standard) fed Lake City Match 7.62 ball and the regular sights. Now where I threw the tenth round I’m completely clueless!!!! Yellow represents the vertical.

The gun ran through about 120+ rounds today; 20 of which was the last of my hoarded stock of LLC Match, a couple boxes of standard M118 ball and a baggie of left over German ammo.

It was fun at the end when some AR shooters had finished with a target at 250 yards and offered to let me "try". The Springfield rifle dropped four of five rounds onto an 11 inch paper plate after tossing dirt with the first round before I realized those sights aren't forgiving enough for a quick 200 yard guess to handle 250. The AR guys were running red dots and peppered the backstop with a 10mph wind crossing the range. That heavier 30 caliber bullet shrugged off the wind and peppered the paper plate - not a pretty group, but a good demo of what an old fart with a good service rifle background can still do.

Photo is my last ten rounds at 100 prone with the good ammo. There's 9 on there, darned if I can account for the tenth round cleanly.
IMG_1325.jpeg

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Nice! I really want an M1A!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love to have one of my own again, just almost certain I wouldn't buy the fodder to run through it and I"m darn sure I'm done reloading for that type of gas gun. Small base dies, trim every firing, etc., etc......wouldn't reload for a match grade AR, either. but you can pick that ammo up somewhat more reasonably than the 7.62. But the rifle did make a good demonstration of why it remains in the front lines to some extent - it defies wind well and gives 'cover' new meaning.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Always enjoy my M1A
Good rifle and fun to shoot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts