Springfield Armory MEU(SOC)-ish 1911

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Mar 24, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Took a new-to-me Springfield Armory Loaded model to the range today. This one’s a recent purchase from our own Classifieds section.

A previous owner was going for a Marine Corps MEU(SOC) look for this 1911, and I believe they largely achieved it. The Pachmayr grips and checkered mainspring housing (complete with lanyard loop!) provided a VERY positive grip. I appreciated that this Loaded had already been converted from its original two-piece full-length guide rod setup to the standard GI style - saved me the trouble of doing so!

In going for an MEU(SOC) look, the prior owner had applied Allumahyde to the barrel and barrel bushing. The black coloration looks nice, but it’s wearing itself right off with shooting. No big deal to me, just an observation.

The gun just feels “right” - better than any Springfield Loaded I’ve handled before. The trigger is particularly crisp with, to me, an excellent reset.

I fired just over 330 rounds in the gun’s initial range session, a mix of JHPs and brass- and aluminum-cased FMJs. Zero issues and LOTS of grins.

Target shown is not that impressive to anyone, of course, but ME ha-ha...ten yards, 44 rounds of 230-grain FMJ freedom-seeds fired in double-taps or other rapid-fire strings. Targets today were otherwise spaced at five, seven, or ten yards. I did a lot of “Mozambique Drills” and worked exclusively with my Milt Sparks IPD double-mag IWB pouch and Wilson Combat 47 seven-round magazines.

After the range, this one was cleaned and immediately went “on-duty” for its maiden-carry in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster as I tackled the yard with a first mowing of the season LOL.

A3AFA55D-DCDD-4536-8B65-4DB7D0380358.jpeg B51428DB-9024-49C8-9960-486ECAC9F61F.jpeg 01C449D7-4C42-4E7E-A221-EACC0E805E9D.jpeg 14E1385A-3189-407C-8932-CDF17A8CE64C.jpeg

Novak77, simonp, UBOATDOC and 4 others like this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Congrats on it, she seems like a worker! I can appreciate the theme on this one, but I think I'd strip it of the Alumahyde... I looks like it is scraping it off pretty good. (No Offense)
    I miss my Loaded model Springers, I had quite a few for a while there, and always appreciated them, because I didn't feel the need to "baby" em'.
    Anyway! Cool write up.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Many thanks and no offense taken at all. The original for-sale ad was the first I’d ever heard of Allumahyde - when I saw that it comes from a spray-can, I was skeptical of its longevity. It’s definitely taking a beating at the “high traffic” points on the barrel and bushing, that’s for sure! I was glad it didn’t appear to gum-up the works haha!

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Alumahyde is pretty good stuff honestly, I refinished a couple of older .22's and an old single shot Sears & Robuck that had been chopped for a snake gun. They've help up well, but then they don't have the high friction, or frequent contact like the Bushing area, etc on a 1911. So in a way, this is kind of a good piece of info for me. Thanks!

5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    I appreciate your insight on the stuff, too. It’ll be interesting to see over time how it holds-up overall on the lower-contact points.

6. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Nice blastin and a good write up. In my continuing spirit of learn something new every day I now know of the existence of allumahyde. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted