Springfield Champion

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Mongo40, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I've got an older Champion that I'd like to install one of the Wilson Combat, Flat-Wire Recoil Spring Kit, 4" Compact / Professional. Can someone tell me if I'll need a different barrel bushing also? Thanks

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Probably, it depends which model champion you have. I would call wilson directly and ask, or get on EGW and see if yours is on the list or give them a call, they've always been extremely helpful when I have called.

3. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Is your barrel a bull barrel, or the standard barrel with the bushing ?

Mine has the bull barrel, and EGW makes a specific flat-wire FL Guide Rod, for that model.

DanMcinPA likes this.
  4. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Mine doesn't have a bull barrel, its standard thickness, I've had this pistol around 25yrs now, I'm pretty sure that when I purchased this Springfield only had one model of the Champion at that time.

Longbow likes this.
  5. Mongo40

Mongo40 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Now I'm really confused, Wilson Combat replied to my question about the bushing telling me that this part was not compatible for any Colt or Springfield 1911, yet at the bottom of their web page for the kit is customer reviews and there are two reviews claiming they had put this kit in their Springfield's and it was the best upgrade they had done. I initially got the link to the kit off a recommendation from 1911forums.

Thanks for the EGW recommendation, they have the kit specifically for Springfield 4" slides and the price isn't bad so I'll just go with them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I was probably one if the reviews installin it in a Springfield. It requires that you turn down the spring plug so it fits into the Springfield slide. This is for a bull barrel your gun is and oddity having a bushing. I doubt you will find any flat wire spring fit for it. Almost if not all 4” 1911 now are bull barrels.

Mongo40 and Longbow like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted