Springfield Combat Operator to the range for the first time

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by monadh, Jun 1, 2019.

1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I have to tell you that I love going to the range, but this year has been a strange one in that I have not been able to go much. In January I had tests done due to some massive headaches and found out that I had a tumor in my head. At first they thought it was malignant and some preparations were being made to have surgery. When they determined it was not malignant, the doctors decided to give me a medicine that would shrink or kill the tumor in the hopes I could avoid surgery. Problem is, the medicine hit me hard like chemo, and there was no end in sight for when I would stop taking it. After a few months of being sick and weak, I asked the doctor if I could come off of the med and have the surgery, and she agreed to do so. Last week I came off of the medicine, and I have breathing room of 3 months before surgery. Until that time comes, I am going to the range. A LOT.

I recently bought a Springfield Combat Operator (to eventually be a graduation gift for my oldest daughter) from @jdoc7 (a fine man to do business with, I'm here to tell you), and I got to take the SA CO to the range today for the first time. As it was sold to me it had 200 reported rounds through it, and it essentially looked unfired. I added a Chen SI Magwell to it the second night I had it, because I like magwells.

The round count through it today had to be in excess of 200 with no malfunctions of any kind noted.

The trigger break at around 3 lbs 10 oz according to the electronic gauge used last night. The take up and break is OK, but my Guncrafter has spoiled me. I expect it to get better as it is fired more.

My performance with a new pistol is always an iffy proposition. At best I am not a consistent shot. Today's results included long runs of suckage interspersed with brief flashes of adequasivity (to borrow a phrase from the late great Phil Hartman).

Adequasivity at 15 yards:

[​IMG]

The next picture needs some explanation. Each group is 5 rounds fired at 15 yards. The first two rounds in each group are the ones that hit the sticker. The remaining 3 shots each are the ones that did not hit the stickers.

[​IMG]

I thought this was kind of odd that this would happen, but fact of the matter is, I believe it was me. More time will tell.

My Guncrafter Hellcat came along as well, and if I came remotely close to do my part, it made up for the rest. First round at the top is me, the rest is the Guncrafter. 7 rounds at 12 yards.

[​IMG]

And of course my SA Mil Spec had to come along. You will note that not one bullet hit the sticker. That is because I was holding 6 o'clock at 15 yards. It hit just where John Harrison set it up to hit, and a dadgum good group at 15 yards if you ask me. I love the sights he put on it. 8 rounds offhand

[​IMG]

I will say this about the current trend in 1911s. I do not like triggers that have a hole in the face of the trigger. I have John Harrison's long trigger on the Mil Spec, and I have to say that I love using it far more than what comes on everything else.

Thanks, @jdoc7! I will take good care of the pistol until I am forced to give it to my daughter!

azpoolguy, gun_fan111, WC145 and 9 others like this.
  2. jdoc7

jdoc7 Feed my Addiction! Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2017
    Thanks, @jdoc7! I will take good care of the pistol until I am forced to give it to my daughter!

You are most welcome sir! Enjoy the Operator!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Usually when a (right hand shooter) group starts out fairly well centered and then drifts low left it usually indicates a reaction to recoil resulting in "pushing". The barrel dips and "low left"!

P.S. What a coincidence I just read your post on another 1911 forum!

Smiles,

4. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Yep, I did post there, but not as much background. Too many hostile people there to consider myself on friendly territory. I still post there because habit.

As far as the shooting goes, I need to get a dry fire apparatus and practice. I just don't know which one to get.

5. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I watched several Rob Leatham videos on YT to try and diagnose what was going on yesterday. I went back to the range.

Bright, direct sun, wearing my seeing glasses, 12 yards.

[​IMG]

My eyes were watering some from the light. I decided to take off my glasses and give my eyes a rest but still shoot.

[​IMG]

5 rounds each group, 12 yards. No explanation just theories.

Dub likes this.
  6. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Best wishes on your health issues. The meds must have been rough.

Those Combat Operators are one of the nicer SACS offerings. Enjoy it!

Dub likes this.
  7. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    Good luck with your health issues. I love my Combat Operator in 9mm. I did have to adjust the extractor but after that it was fine. I just fit a Wilson Flat trigger to it. Next mod will be a SA magwell.

Dub and monadh like this.
  8. monadh

May 8, 2012
    May I recommend the Chen SI Magwell?

Dub likes this.
  9. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Great pistol.

Solid shooting.

Sweet upgrade with that magwell.

Best wishes on your health obstacles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted