1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up two Emissary’s on a whim. One full size 9mm and a commander .45. These are a departure from traditional styling, so many purists will not like them I’m sure. I think they look okay, but thought they offered some decent options for the price point I picked them up for.

On to the build quality. Slide to frame fit is acceptable on both of them. There is zero hand fitting done to either one, and I will need to work on a couple things to get them where I’d like them. The 45 thumb safety is terribly matched to the sear, but that was an easy enough fix. The blueing on the slides looks very nicely done, and the frames are stainless, so should be easy to touch up in the blast cabinet should it be needed.

I know there are a lot of MIM haters out there (I am not one of them). For these gun, virtually every part is MIM, to include:

Main spring housing
hammer
Hammer strut
Sear
Mag catch
Disconnector
Thumb safety
Slide stop
Ejector
Firing pin stop
Grip safety.

The trigger is a semi flat plastic, but I like the look and feel of it. As for trigger pull, I will rework the factory parts before replacing with tool steel components. I’
Gun accessory Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Auto part
Audio equipment Gadget Cable Microphone Electronic device
Bicycle part Wood Carbon Rim Musical instrument accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Toy Machine gun
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Finger Toy
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part

·
I'm just here for the gas.
3,235 Posts
Thanks for the write up— you’re the first person I’ve heard that purchased one (two) of these. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how you liked shooting them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm curious to hear how the 9mm full size shakes out. I'd like to grab another 9mm government so I am cautiously optimistic. I'm more of a purist but I'm intrigued by the options.

·
Denizen
408 Posts
I just ordered the Emissary Commander .45 and will share thoughts here once it arrives and I get to spend some time with it. It has many similarities, both in features and in looks, to the DW TCP I own and love.

Reactions: RN47

·
Denizen
408 Posts
...also, I've heard from several sources that the trigger shoe is G-10, not plastic. But Springfield doesn't seem to offer any details on this.

Reactions: RN47

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I just got done inspecting a commander. A plus to this gun was the grip. Even if it was a bit thin, the front strap held my hand like a anxious mother walking her 1st born through a seedy part of town a wee bit lost and scared. I grabbed a Gunnison there and the thinness is noticeable. It will favor some with less burly hands. I liked the U white outlined rear sight and the large front dot. They were quick to pick up and adjust to. The slide serrations were on the tri top sides to keep the slabs smooth. I was not able to manipulate them easily but as the OP stated there are some smithing to fix the downsides. Back to the front strap...GI similar with their frag.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not sure what happened to my original post. It cut out half of it.

I’ve now got just a touch over 1000 rounds through the 9mm. I absolutely hate the sights on the gun. The front is too thick for me and I’m not a fan of the u notch. They also have a 6 o’clock hold. I am shooting 6” high at 25 yards. While it holds decent groups, I prefer all my sights POA/POI.
On my first outing, the extractor tension was too loose and I had to adjust that. I had a few failures to extract in first 25 rounds. After adjusting, the gun has ran perfectly. It shoots very smooth, and since I put the full width grips on, the “checkering” feels very good and stays put. Overall, I’m quite happy with the gun, minus the sight issue. I will be searching for a new set of sights for it soon.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
What were your thoughts on the overall grip?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
@Ethank I would have to change quite a bit and work the crap out of those rails to smooth them out. Very thin and I can see the benefits of them.

·
Denizen
408 Posts
Hope it's ok to put this here - Hilton did a good review a few months ago on the Emissary:

and more recently, range report:

·
Denizen
408 Posts
Picked up my Emissary Commander yesterday, and put the first 100 rounds through it this afternoon - Federal and S&B 230gr FMJs, with a variety of Mec-Gar, WC and McCormick mags. Zero issues. Gun is very accurate and absorbs recoil nicely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up two Emissary’s on a whim. One full size 9mm and a commander .45. These are a departure from traditional styling, so many purists will not like them I’m sure. I think they look okay, but thought they offered some decent options for the price point I picked them up for.

On to the build quality. Slide to frame fit is acceptable on both of them. There is zero hand fitting done to either one, and I will need to work on a couple things to get them where I’d like them. The 45 thumb safety is terribly matched to the sear, but that was an easy enough fix. The blueing on the slides looks very nicely done, and the frames are stainless, so should be easy to touch up in the blast cabinet should it be needed.

I know there are a lot of MIM haters out there (I am not one of them). For these gun, virtually every part is MIM, to include:

Main spring housing
hammer
Hammer strut
Sear
Mag catch
Disconnector
Thumb safety
Slide stop
Ejector
Firing pin stop
Grip safety.

The trigger is a semi flat plastic, but I like the look and feel of it. As for trigger pull, I will rework the factory parts before replacing with tool steel components. I’ View attachment 866589 View attachment 866590 View attachment 866591 View attachment 866592 View attachment 866593 View attachment 866594 View attachment 866595 View attachment 866596

Which grips are these? Thanks

·
born in the wrong century
6,990 Posts
How would you describe the trigger feel ?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How would you describe the trigger feel ?
Shape and feel of the actual trigger is pretty nice. I’m not super passionate about curved or flat triggers, and use both fine. As for the trigger press, I’d rate it at mediocre at best. Feels decent when compared to striker guns, but doesn’t hold up to a 1911 with a good trigger.

·
I'm just here for the gas.
3,235 Posts
That 10-8 review was excellent. I went ahead and subscribed to that channel-- really like that guy's approach and breakdown.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts