Springfield EMP 4 CCC 9mm or Hi Power.....Which Would You Carry??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, Mar 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all,

I went to a local shop the other day and one of the pistols they had in the counter I had wanted to see and handle for a long time was the Springer EMP 9mm Concealed Carry Contour. It didn't disappoint. It felt great in my hands and I wanted to shoot it right then, but I couldn't. I also really wanted to take it home, but the $1,000 price tag held me back.

When I got home I started thinking about it a bit. It's a very nice pistol for sure and I'd really like to have it. If I did own it, I would definitely carry it every day. I believe it holds 9+1, if I'm not mistaken. It has a 4 inch barrel and weighs 31 ounces.

Here's the thing I thought about. Why would I buy and carry this $1,000 beautifully made 9mm when I already have an FN Hi Power SFS in 9mm? My Hi Power has the SFS, Safety Fast Shooting System, is in 9mm, holds 13+1 and weighs 32 ounces.

Both pistols are awesome. Sure, the EMP is better made than my FN and is probably more accurate and softer shooting. BUT, there is just something about holding a Hi Power that you instantly want one. It feels like it was literally made for your hand no matter who is holding it at the time. It's sad that Browning has discontinued te i Power and FN no longer makes one. I believe your only source for a new Hi Power is the one that is available thru Brownells, which is a foreign made Hi Power, in Turkey I believe. From all the stuff I have read about it, it's a fine pistol that carries on the Hi Power name nicely.

I would still love to have the EMP 4 CCC as well as a 1911 CCO in 9mm too. But if I were pinned down as to which one I'd rather carry, the EMP 4 or the Hi Power....I believe it would be the Hi Power.

What do you say? If you were forced to pick between these 2 pistols for CARRY, which one would you pick and why?
    If you have either one, how about posting some pics so the rest of us can enjoy it too!!

Thanks for your time and help. Have a great week guys and gals.
    Larry

2. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I have been wrestling with idea of trading my EMP4 for a Hi Power for several months now.

3. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Don't know anything about EMPs, and I also instinctively love HPs for their feel, but the stock ones I owned have not been good shooters either for single shot accuracy or follow up shots. In contrast, I have 2 of those HP-DAs originally designed for the 1980s military handgun competition and those are very accurate.

4. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Love BHP. My old patrol partner called me yesterday and told me he's sending his Hi Power to me as a gift. The Hi Power was a gift to him 20 years ago from his friend and mentor that was an ATF Agent in the Bay Area. I've had two prior to this one and stupidly sold them both!

5. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    BHP, by a mile.

gaijin likes this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've got an EMP4 and a Hi Power and don't carry either one, never have. I usually carry a Commander, though right now I'm packing a .41mag revolver.

cgff likes this.
  7. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Thoughts on EMP compared to HP?

8. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    You already own the Hi-Power . The EMP is a better carry piece JMO , but Hi-Powers are classy .

9. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Apples and oranges. I think the EMP4 is a great gun, very well appointed, and the size sets it apart and makes it a terrific choice for someone with smaller hands. My son shoots it in single stack, it has been 100% reliable with 115gr ammo and is plenty accurate. The HP is a larger gun with different ergonomics and doesn't lend itself to concealed carry as well. It has the capacity advantage, 13+1 vs 10+1, if that's an issue for you. The EMP4 has a much better trigger out of the box, the HP trigger sucks until you remove the mag disconnect. I think the HP is a viable 9mm option to a regular 1911, while, to me, the EMP4 is hand size dependent. My hands are big, so I'm not as comfortable shooting it as the HP or a regular 1911. But, HPs bite unless you change or modify the hammer.

If I had to choose one over the other out of the box, I'd choose the EMP4. If I can remove the mag disconnect, swap in a C&S No Bite hammer, add thin grips, and some grip tape n the front and back straps, I'd take the HP. That's what it takes to put them on equal footing.

deadguy likes this.
  10. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    The BHP is a class weapon. The other, not so much.

11. samuse

samuse Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi Power.

I've never seen or even heard of an EMP that was reliable and I've been following those things since they came out

simonp likes this.
  12. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    Raymond Reddington carries a Hi-Power . The slimness of the EMP makes it an attractive carry piece . The only person I know that owns an EMP is happy with it . I shot it one time ( 1 mag ) seemed fine . I own a pristine 1977 Browning Hi-Power , shoot it occasionally .

1911 dawg likes this.
  13. Bilbo463

Bilbo463 Member

May 24, 2018
    I’m carrying my Hi Power Standard now. It’s totally stock with mag disconnect intact. The trigger isn’t as good as my Ed Browns, but isn’t that bad.... The trigger is right at 8lbs, but it breaks cleanly. I use 15 round Mecgar magazines......never a failure...

14. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I’ve got an FN HI POWER in 9mm that came stock with the SFS system, which I like. Most Hi Power guys will tell you they HATE IT! That’s ok. To each his own.

I had some work done to it right after I got it by a guy that was trying to get established as a gunsmith for 1911’s and Hi Power Pistols. I wis I could remember his name, but it’s been over 10 years.
    I had the front and rear straps stippled, the mag safety removed and a trigger job done.
    There’s a couple things I’d like to change on it:
    1. Get a new trigger job. This one is not good. Better than stock, but not good at all. Maybe it would improve if I put 1,000 rounds thru her. I haven’t shot but maybe a box thru it since owning it though.
    2. I know this sounds weird, and it is, but every time I pick it up and practice a bit with it with caps, when I put it away my hand will stink. A chemical type stink. I’ve tried everything to get rid of it and can’t. It’s so frustrating. I love the pistol, but hate that about it. I think the only thing I can do to have a “clean” grip is to have the frame refinished. I can’t think of anything else and I’ve asked for suggestions. None has worked. So that would be the first thing I would have done for sure.
    3. I’d have the frame to slide fit tightened. I know it’s a waste of money, but it kinda pesters me.

When I get some money saved up, I’m gonna contact Fletchers Custom Pistols and see about a package deal to fix all the things I want fixed to make it my perfect pistol.

I’d also love to have one of the EMP4 CCC in 9mm now that they have them in new finish options.

Thanks all.
    Larry

15. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Thank you.

1911 dawg and WC145 like this.
  16. Rick Dinwiddie

Rick Dinwiddie New Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Then you have been
    looking in the wrong spot...carried my EMP for the last 10yrs. Had 4 issues during break in that’s all...great carry and shooter..

17. sparkyfender

sparkyfender Active Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I have a Hi Power, do not have an EMP.

I do carry the Browning on occasion, but I'm sure the EMP may carry a bit handier. I've always admired the Springfield in shops, but never could let go at their asking price.

18. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    I'd carry EMP simply because of slim profile .

19. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Most know I'm a dedicated hi power guy. Hardest part to conceal, as we all know, is grip length. Hi power grip length is a tad shorter than my commander. Barrel length is 3/8" longer and it can be a bit thicker at the grips, but with thin g10 grips my mark3 compares nicely to the commander, which does have standard thickness stocks
    With a 9mm capacity of 13 rounds, or 15 with modified follower mags, the hi power compares nicely to modern wonder nines for capacity.
    The hi power grip angle and being sized to the 9mm most find it a joy to handle. So my 9mm launcher of choice is and always has been the hi power. And my Mar3 weights only ounces more than my lightweight commander. Not apples to apples but for me, it's the P35 every time.

gaijin and sparkyfender like this.
  20. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    High power no questions about it.

I have an EMP 3, went back to Springfield twice and still wouldn’t run reliably. My smith just have it back to me with the longest lust of repairs including corrections to the breach face as it was so far off that the pin would hit brass not primer! After all that it’s a reliable CCW gun now.

The BHP has three failings, stock sights, trigger & magazine disconnect - all of which a smith can correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted