Springfield EMP.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Okie, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    A friend of mine bought a Springfield EMP NIB, and he is experiencing light primer strikes, I'm not sure what ammo he is using. He squeezes the trigger and no bang, recock the hammer and it goes bang. This is happening about 35% of the time. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Weak mainspring? The Springfields use a different mainspring due to the locking mechanism in their mainspring housing. Is he using reloads that doesn't have the primers seated all the way? Firing pin damaged or to short? If all else fails, just call Springfield. They will take care of him and he can have some addition work done in their Custom Shop if he wants.

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    He needs to send it back under warranty. It's not a "common" problem, but I've seen quite a few people reporting it on TOS.

4. swoop

swoop Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My dad had some S&B ammo that he had the same problems with. Might ask if thats what he's using.

5. 5 Screw Smith

5 Screw Smith Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 11, 2011
    I don't know about Springfield but shooting reloads voids the warranty of some manufacturers.

6. dtshd

dtshd Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Mine did that with WWB and Federal ammo from Walmart. I sent it back to SA and they took care of it.

7. SOA1911

SOA1911 New Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I have an EMP, and it would not feed any brand of hollowpoints. I called Springfield's customer service department, and they immediately sent me a FedEx prepaid label, mailing instructions, and 13 days later I got my EMP back. It is now 100% reliable! Just call them in the morning, and I am sure you will be very pleased with their customer service. One of my friends had a small problem, and he too received nothing but top notch CS.

8. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Worked there for almost 20 years. They basically will do just about anything to make their customers happy. If customer service means anything to you, they are one of the best in the business.

9. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    We found out yesterday what the problem was. My friend was shooting steel cased ammo through the gun, and yesterday we used good quality ammo, went bang every time. No more steel ammo for my friend:thumb:

10. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Friends don't let friends use steel cased ammo in quality guns! :thumb:
    Steel cased ammo is for my AK's and the like !

DAT85

11. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I didn't know that, that's what he was using until yesterday, he won't be using it any more:biggrin1::thumb:

12. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Yall can send me any unwanted steel cased you come across.

Bob

13. MusProd

MusProd Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I had a light strike problem with my EMP 9mm, SA took care of it perfectly. Then I had an extraction and shooting high problem, and back it want again, and they refit a new extractor and changed sights. The extractor work was perfect, but it still shoots 1 1/2 inches high. I just made contact with them (via e-mail) again a couple of days ago about the POI issue, but have not heard back yet. I want this pistol to run as it should, as it is a terrific gun now (if the shooting high is resolved).

I don't understand how so many people have had problems with their EMP. Mine now runs absolutely perfectly, groups tight as can be, and is a pleasure to shoot. Now to fix the shooting high issue. I won't give up until all is right.

MP

14. MusProd

MusProd Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Update to the post above.

I heard back from Springfield, and after cchecking their records they found that the previous sight fix was for 1 1/2 inches at 25 yards not the 7 yards clearly stated in both e-mails and the note that accompanied the pistol on return. I don't know if I should laugh at someone not being able to read or be upset. They have offered to send me a new RMA# for its third trip back. I asked them if they needed the entire pistol or just the slide, and have not heard back yet.

MP

15. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I just shot a my new mil-spec today, had 1 ftf/double feed, but no light strikes. I'm still happy with it though.

16. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Good luck with the gun my friend, I hoep they get it fixed for you:biggrin1:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted