1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I reload .45acp and .40s&w (for USPSA competition), so I'm contemplating a Commander sized 1911 in either 10mm or .40s&w. Anyone have experience with the Springfield EMP4 in .40s&w? Any other options out there in .40 for a Commander size?

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
If there is a range that rents pistols I would shoot one of each caliber.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
What do you want to know? I have one and I love it. It is my EDC. It wasn't the best from the factory but with the help from @Steve Owens it is awesome!

View attachment 364831

dvs6
Glad to hear the pistol is still running good and strong. Also good to hear from ya again. Take care look forward to working together again sometime..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pistol is great! I depend my life on it. I look forward to working with you again!

The way the EMP4 comes from the factory is hit and miss (or any SA from what I read and experienced these days). Mine was a miss and with my non-gunsmithing skills to try and fix it got me in trouble. Steve definitely came to the rescue and with some personalization is what you see here above.

I'm still a big fan of .40 cal and why I invested what I did and I will stand by it with the road I took to get here.

Honestly though, if I had to do it all over again knowing what I do now and not taking anything away from Steve and his hard work to get my EMP4 right and budget aside, I would have done what @ripdog28 got from Guncrafter. My EMP4 was my entry back in to 1911s without a lot of knowledge or research after finally being pissed off with Glocks.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/no-name-railed-in-40s-w.83373/

There have been a lot of satisfied customers of the EMP4 so don't let me sway your decision, I'm just adding my experience.

Besides my rant, let me know if there is anything else I can help you out with.

Also, from what I understand, .40 cal can be very finicky in 1911s and that is why you do not see a lot of manufacturers making them anymore.

dvs6

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@dvs6 ....looks great! @Steve Owens does some great work!....what type of issues did you have with it when you first got it? Is it all steel or steel slide/aluminum frame? Is it a true Commander size (full size frame at 5.5" tall and Commander slide at 4 - 4.25" long)?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
@dvs6 ....looks great! @Steve Owens does some great work!....what type of issues did you have with it when you first got it? Is it all steel or steel slide/aluminum frame? Is it a true Commander size (full size frame at 5.5" tall and Commander slide at 4 - 4.25" long)?
The 40 was a steel frame. It wouldn't feed and or eject properly at least not for long rail and slide were locked up due to a slide stop rubbing the slide. After slide stop issue was fixed it ran very erratically, often running one to two mags then ftf, or eject one or the other or both.

The 40s are a bit of a challenge but, had a buddy who was helping trouble shoot and we finally found the solution. Gun ran flawlessly when it left, but had a lot of ammonia fired through it here. I've worked in a few 9s that weren't near the problem the 40 was. Was a pleasure working with the client, his patience and determination was unmatched lol.. But, we got it there. Reliability is paramount on a carry gun though no doubt..

The lower lug contact was non existent and accuracy wasn't great, but we fixed a lot of stuff and accuracy ended up being decent when done as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.