1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
4,204 Posts
I believe they are! nice feature set and as always, excellent factory warranty!

I handled one @BBP the other day and was impressed with the quality of the gun given its price level. He posted them for sale in the classifieds so contact him as soon as possible because im sure they are going quick at the price he listed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nope, the quality of the Ronin and Garrison are far superior.
What would make you say that? The frame and the slide are the only things going to survive of the original gun in a full custom build. It's been stated by many "Big Time" smiths that the mil spec is the gun they prefer to use from Springfield. They have the least done to them from the factory with a forged frame and slide. If you are doing some parts upgrades and checkering get the loaded, but I agree with @TheCustom1911 on this point.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oh and FYI I really like Springfields, just picked up a TRP and MIGHT put a Harrison ignition kit in it MAYBE, if the reset on the gun doesn't smooth out after 1K or so, like my Wessons did.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,596 Posts
Hey bob, the frame and slide are the same forged pieces on the milspec as they are the ronin and garrison.

For a full build it’s far better to start with full tangs on the grip safety (the ones cut by Springer to .250 almost always are undercut and require weld up), it’s better to not have sight dovetails (this limits you in flat tops and sight choices), other details as well but the last one I’ll leave you with is the price savings. There no sense to pay for a dolled up model when most everything will be changed out or modified on a full build. Start with the cheapest, truest to milspec form 1911, modify from there.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
What would make you say that? The frame and the slide are the only things going to survive of the original gun in a full custom build. It's been stated by many "Big Time" smiths that the mil spec is the gun they prefer to use from Springfield. They have the least done to them from the factory with a forged frame and slide. If you are doing some parts upgrades and checkering get the loaded, but I agree with @TheCustom1911 on this point.
I've shot mil specs, I have 2 ROs and a 5" Ronin. I've handled Garrisons, they're just as nice as the Ronins, both with forged frames according to SAI. Parts upgrade for the Ronin was sear, disconector and Greider trigger from Thunder Mountain. 30 rounds rapid fire at 20 yards it was to cold to draw. Ronin's are wickedly accurate for a base gun.

Line Red Wood Road surface Gas

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Hey bob, the frame and slide are the same forged pieces on the milspec as they are the ronin and garrison.

For a full build it’s far better to start with full tangs on the grip safety (the ones cut by Springer to .250 almost always are undercut and require weld up), it’s better to not have sight dovetails (this limits you in flat tops and sight choices), other details as well but the last one I’ll leave you with is the price savings. There no sense to pay for a dolled up model when most everything will be changed out or modified on a full build. Start with the cheapest, truest to milspec form 1911, modify from there.
Your choice obviously and obviously I'll make mine after 40+ years of shooting 1911s.

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,596 Posts
Bob, I’m sure the models you’re referring to would be great for minor builds or just to take out and shoot in stock form. I’m sure I’d like them better in stock form than a milspec, but I don’t buy guns and leave them in stock form. They go off to top tier smiths to be fully modified.

Like I said, the ronin and garrison would be ideal for mild modification to include checkering and maybe some parts upgrades. They’re not ideal for full house effort builds. Im basing that off my direct experience with full house builds by many of the top name smiths working which I’ve accomplished in the past 10 years. Didn’t need 40 years to learn that lesson, which apparently you still haven’t learned yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not doing a full build. What parts would you upgrade on the Garrison?
How many different grip safety cuts are there? I thought Springfield uses government cut on some models. I just can’t grab onto these different cuts.

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Bob, I’m sure the models you’re referring to would be great for minor builds or just to take out and shoot in stock form. I’m sure I’d like them better in stock form than a milspec, but I don’t buy guns and leave them in stock form. They go off to top tier smiths to be fully modified.

Like I said, the ronin and garrison would be ideal for mild modification to include checkering and maybe some parts upgrades. They’re not ideal for full house effort builds. Im basing that off my direct experience with full house builds by many of the top name smiths working which I’ve accomplished in the past 10 years. Didn’t need 40 years to learn that lesson, which apparently you still haven’t learned yet.
With the words "good/fast/cheap" after your name, I'm sure those "top tier" smiths love you to death.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts