1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I bought a Springfield Loaded a short while ago. I'm a lefty and this was the only ambi 1911 my dealer could find in my price range. I'm too old and not ready to spend $3,000 and up for a custom pistol. I haven't been to the range yet because of overcrowding there. What are the pros and cons of this pistol and what should I do to prep it prior to firing it?
G96 lube. Smells nice, works great.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You do not specifically say, but if this your first SAO pistol, I would get a good holster and dry fire practice about a thousand draw-shoot-reholsters before putting any live rounds through the pistol. The purpose is to wire your brain to safely, quickly, and instinctively deactivate the safety when drawing, get off a good shot using standard pistol shooting mechanics, and reactivate the safety when reholstering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is my first 1911. I have an FN 57 with a owb holster and spare mag holder for it but I don't carry it as a defense weapon. I bought the 1911 because everyone told me if you own guns you have to have at least one 1911. After getting it, I'm glad I did. They are great looking pistols and have a great trigger. Hopefully I can get to the range soon and play with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm looking for a good left hand holster for my 5" 1911. I have kydex holsters for my other guns and I like them, but I'm leaning towards leather for the 1911. Has anyone had any experience ordering left hand leather holsters off the internet? All of the companies I've looked at don't carry or don't stock left hand holsters.I ordered a lefty from Safariland about two years ago, but cancelled it after four months passed with no holster and no response from them. Would having one custom made locally be the best option? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Loaded was my 1st 1911 bought over a decade ago. Just lube well and it will do the trick. Mine is always well lubed as shown in the photo.
Over time I have only try change a few grips and ambi safety for personal preference. If you don't shoot bulls eye competition, Loaded is just perfect with features included and affordability.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I buy Springfields for a base gun for my personal preferences. Only Springfield I've loved as is, is my RO Champion. If the trigger is gritty, I swap out the ignition system. As someone that swore no more 9mm over 40 years ago, I'm shooting far more 9mm these days! A wee bit less punishment for these old bones. ;)

But I won't give up the 45acp pistols, I'm still more accurate with them.

Good choice, have fun breaking it in.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I own and have owned SA 1911's for a long time. I honestly can't find a fault with them for the money.
Wish they had a couple of models with tool steel ignition sets and front strap checkering in the 1000.00 dollar range but that to can be solve with an ignition kit and grip tape.
One below is a low budget rebuild. Not a 1 ' at 25yd gun but it'll hit a clay target at 25 yds every time.
Next budget part of the rebuild is the barrel link and bushing.
LT side 12 20.jpg

Reactions: taurn7

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can not say anything negative about it. It was my second 1911 and loved it but someone offered me a bit more then what I paid for it and now I miss it. It will eat anything you feed it. Clean it, lube it, and shoot the hell out of it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts