Springfield - or other - 1911 9mm entry pistol

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by rblondon, Sep 23, 2019.

1. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I've owned one Springfield Armory Range Officer - 5 " 45. It ran well.

I'm interested in acquiring a 9mm 1911 - the RO Compact and the RO with full-size frame/4 inch barrel are of interest. Your collected thoughts on either of the above, or other good 1911s in 9mm that would be good to start with, but which might be worth improving on down the road. Thanks in advance -

2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Good choices

Fred_G and xerts1191 like this.

3. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Really liking this one. Very reasonably priced, impressively accurate, runs great, accepts upgrades well.

Attached Files:

xerts1191 and AGENT P like this.
  4. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I've had two RO Elites in a 5" and Compact model. Both were excellent shooters. I only got rid of them because I just prefer .45 in an all steel 5" (didn't like the rail either as I don't put a light on my pistols) and I'm selling the Compact only because of a DW Vigil CCO in 9 I found on a stupid good deal. The director of recreation and finance said I had to sell one to buy the other and she must be obeyed.

I like the Springfields quite a bit, fine pistols at a great price point in my eyes, if I could I would keep the Compact.

Old Sea Dragon and Badabing11 like this.
  5. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm No help... I haven't/don't own any $700-$800 1911 9mms.
    Glocks & pocket rockets for less........... Not comparable.
    I have some Kimbers & DWs for not too much more that are nice shooters.
    My guess is that they're probably comparable in that price range as they are all competing for that market spot.
    Of course my input is/was relative to NEW gun prices.

6. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Never had a 4” 9mm Springer, but the 5” RO was my first 1911 in 9mm. The pistol runs so well I cannot bring myself to sell it even though my favorite 9mm is a Les Baer Mono these days and RO has not been shot in about two years.

7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Along for the ride.

A friend has the 5” gun. He got the trigger to an incredibly clean 3 lb just by changing the sear spring to a Cylinder and Slide lightweight spring. Brownells sells them for $7. Amazing. The trigger feels like a semi custom.. I think adding the sights of your choice make it all the shooter you could want. I’m interested in the 4” reliability and ejection pattern. That’s the point where I’ve had trouble with lesser guns. I’m hoping Springfield has that figured out, but would also love to hear addict experience.

8. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Snagged a Loaded 9mm because it is on the ca roster. It sucks. Double feeds every mag. It is headed to Steve Owens when he gets time. In the meantime it will sit in the safe. Plus I hate Springfield's politics. I'd buy a used springer but they won't get anymore of my $.

simonp likes this.
  9. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Colt has a 9mm commander model as well. A true 4.25" commander length barrel with bushing.

10. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I feel the same / in the same boat. I have acquired two Springfield loaded 9mm in trades, wont support the company itself. Got them since they are one of two options in 9mm for us here in the PRK, both suck donkey balls out of the box, both went to smiths as Springfield products are decent as base guns - keep the frame and slide, replace all else in my opinion.

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thanks to all - I have a stable of 45 ACP - a Brown, 2 Colts, a Kimber Ultra (which I can't quite come to trust unless I run Wilson 6-round mags in it) and a Wilson. Never had a 9, though I do have a 9 barrel fitted into a 38 Super Colt, which runs fairly well with the Super extractor untouched. I see there's an RO Elite in 9 posted. Going to go read some reviews tonight about the Compact version specifically. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

12. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Ruger target model it might not be as accurate as range officer but i bet it will run run run! Springfeilds resale on mid level stuff is low becuase there are alot of them out there because they are a good deal either way though whats 800 $ for all that fun

13. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    A few years ago I simply couldn’t get new LW Champion 4” 9mm to run reliably. On the other hand, my 5” RO 9mm has been awesome with 3k+ rounds over the last six years. As such, I’d recommend a 9mm in 4.25” or 5” for reliability at this price point. For a little more cost than the RO, the Dan Wesson Vigil line gives you a big improvement in parts and fit that you may never find the desire to upgrade later.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  14. JoeDice

JoeDice Active Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I have a Range Officer Compact in 9 mm . It is an aluminum officer’s size frame with a 4 inch slide / barrel CCO configuration pistol . It conceals very easily in a good pancake style holster and comfortable to carry all day. It has been absolutely dependable and ran flawlessly right out of the box. It would highly recommend it. I have no experience with the 5 inch Range Officer. I guess it depends on what purpose you want the pistol for. If you want it primarily for a range gun I would go for the 5” gun which as far as I know is a steel framed gun which would be more durable in the long run and make a better range gun with the longer barrel and heavier weight.
    If you want a gun that you would also like to conceal carry then I would go for the Compact. It has a ramped barrel so you could still put many rounds through it without damaging the frame.
    Have fun choosing and enjoy which ever you choose.

15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Instead of buying a Springfield and planning on pouring money into future upgrades just buy a Dan Wesson PM9. You’ll thank me later.
    Jeff

16. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I bought a 9mm RO in the spring of 2015 to go with one in 45 I bought in the fall of 2014 in 45. Both are nice pistols for the money as far as fit, finish, and function goes.

[​IMG]

One thing I like about them is the traditional recoil spring setup. No bushingless bull barrel or FLGR to have to deal with during a field strip and clean. I have a Colt Defender in 9mm so know about that. Mine are old enough to have ILS but I understand SA did away with that. Not a big deal but it would involve a new MSH and MS etc. if you wanted to get rid of it.

Also SA did not pin the ejectors on these but did pin the front sight and that would add to complications if one wanted to replace the front sight. Not sure what they do on other models.

[​IMG]

They did scratch the last few numbers of the serial number on the bottom of the slide so it makes me think they maybe kept the slide and frame together during building the pistol. The stamped number I think relates to whoever makes the slide. There is another stamped number under the grip which is different and neither number relates to the serial number of the pistol.

[​IMG]

17. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    My thoughts exactly. Why not just have a Colt?
    I like the Commander.

277.JPG

deadguy and simonp like this.
  18. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    A22B63F6-8072-44DB-9289-558578C81E41.jpeg Get the RO. Shoot it, then get in line with Steve Owens to get it more better.

simonp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted