close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield or Ruger

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by PSYCHOFREAK3, Sep 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Well I'm looking to buy my first 1911 (the beginning of a soon to be out of hand addiction.) Like most people price is a factor but I know you get what you pay for. I don't need a race gun, I'm looking for a nightstand/range gun/carry gun (if my state will ever allow it) and I have been looking very closely at the Springfield Range Officer and the Ruger sr1911. I know both are out of stock everywhere and allocated once they do come in, but I'm at the point where I would like to get on a waiting list for one or the other. So my question is which would you go for and why?

2. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    My vote would be the Springfield and it's warranty. There is one available at my LGS for $800

Clicky Here

claire

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Go for the SA RO.. hands down.. $799 locally here and you could probably get $49 off if you called them.. Ron

4. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Wow why do you say RO hands down?

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    JMO.. It's a totally different class of pistol. The Ruger is similar to the Remington (class wise) and both feel a notch below the RO to me. The Remington has the "retro" thing going on and the Ruger has the "modern" thing/look. It's all about price point I suppose. If the Ruger and Remington were priced low enough and that's all the collateral I had, well OK. BUT with the RO's sitting on the shelf with $799 on the tag, I could get it for that OTD (i.e. sales tax, TIC, etc..) and be shooting in 5 minutes. The RO's that I've held are a class act. I would guarantee the RO's I've looked at will easily outshoot me and run a 1000 rounds with a little oil squirted in them, right out of the box... Ron

PS: Of course I am somewhat Springfield centric

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I haven't had the opportunity to examine a Ruger SR1911, so I have no way to compare, but the RO is a very good value, IMO.

[​IMG]

7. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I've owned both and sold the RO and kept the Ruger.

8. Lama

Lama Member

Sep 5, 2011
    SA RO would have a nice match barrel and bushing, a forged NM serial number frame, and a great fit that is usually found on more expensive models. For the price it would be the better of the two, but the Ruger is a very nice looking gun all the same.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I finally got to check out a Ruger at the range the other day. There was this old 1911 coot next to me (that made two of us) shooting one. He truly loved it.. Right up until I handed him my Springfield.. LOL.. The Ruger had the mainspring from hell I mean.. even heavier than Springfield is shipping out and that's saying a lot. I thought his Ruger had a better fit than the Remington's I've handled, but I didn't shoot it. It struck me as "Kimber trying to make a GI".. Ron

Qualifier.. Disclaimer.. I may have a little SA bias... ;)

Nick, I also don't mean to offend.. Just running my mouth and trash talking.. all opinions..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Springfield has a history and track record. The Ruger 1911 (Specifically) hasn't been out that long and only time will tell. Ruger might be a great second purchase down the road.

11. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thank you for all of the opinions, I was leaning towards the springfield myself but my only problem is the ffl in the area charges between 75 and 100 for a transfer so that puts the springfield around 900 after all is said and done. They do not stock the range officers however they do stock the rugers and will be selling them for around 650 when they get them in. If you had to compare a ruger with lets say a springfield mil spec which would you choose?

12. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    GOUGING ROTTEN $%&&^%%$!!!!! There has to be another FFL that will do it for 35.00 unless you're in Antarctica.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    OUCH.. The LGS/Range I use only charges $25 and only $15 for members. I would search for another.. Ron

14. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Check out Buds or GunBrokers FFL finder there will be someone who will charge less.

I really do not like the Ruger, I am sure it is fine, I just do not like a Stainless Gun with Black Controls.

15. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I would personally go with the RO out of the two options. That being said I think either one would be a great choice.

I also would find a new FFL. If your current FFL is charging that, I would tell them to get lost!!!!

16. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I got in to this same discussion with some guys at a local range. I'd go Springfield only for the warranty and their reputation for servicing that warranty. Ruger might be a good gun company on the whole but someone that's not ever produced a 1911 before, it's only been out for maybe a year now, I think ya need to wait and see how it fairs and get some field reports, etc..,

it was like I killed the Pope and **** on his head. :rofl:

17. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah they gouge pretty good, but it's to help them stay in business. So while I understand where they're coming from I'm still not going to pay that. I will continue to look for another option but unless I drive an hour plus into Chicago there isn't much around here. I'm also slightly weary of FFL's without a business/out of their house. I have seen a couple but like the Ruger no real track record.

18. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    +1 with Trent. My FFL charges $0, nada, nothing. He likes fondling guns he's never had...........

tw

19. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Feedlot, you Texicans are allowed to own guns. :biggrin1: Psyco lives in Illinois and has to go to Chicago for help.

He'd be better going to the border in AZ and gettings his gun from the taxpayer funded drug cartels.

claire

20. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ruger. I expect their prices to be a least $100 higher a year from now, get one cheap while you can.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted