1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Had the opportunity to use a SA Pro light rail recently and found it an ABSOLUTE pleasure to shoot. Not a 1911 user up till now. Have always been a Glockmeister for both on and off duty carry.

Strongly considering the SA Pro for LE duty and off duty carry.

Few concerns that perhaps I could tap into your brains on:

1) Reliability: I’ve read and read the SA Pro is absurdly reliable; warrantied to 50K rounds. True?

2) Breakages: plunger tube, etc. Common on a custom gun? I don’t mind the extra vigilance of a 1911, but can’t be dealing with small parts falling off in the course of my duty.

Would love to again, hear your thoughts here! Thanks everyone! Very appreciated.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,829 Posts
welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. I think you'll find a 1911 as reliable, if not more, than your Glock. Additionally you'll find it's manipulation safer. I don't think you need to worry about small parts falling off, the gun has a very good reliability record in the US military.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Welcome Jprop and enjoy the stay!

Yes, SA warranties the Pro for 50k of fired rounds. That is more than 98% of the owners would fire in likely 5 lifetimes. Even still that is a hard to beat warranty and shows they are serious about the claims of the pistols which had some of the most stringent testing. I have also read on the forums that SA fixed pistols that were beyond the 50k round count at no charge to the owner. That is a stand up company. So if there should be a breakage they will have you covered. With the Pro I have not really heard of any (not to say they don't occur - it is a man made device after all) mainly because most owners don't use them nearly enough.

Without starting a what pistols is better, or what is the better buy at $XXXX amount conversation, I would think a Pro would serve you faithfully and reliable well in your line of work.

Edit 1) In full disclosure, I do own a SA Pro Railed (and love it), and I am looking to purchase another. (If anyone knows of a Railed Pro for sale on this forum, hit me up ;) )
Edit 2) Thank you for you service and protection in a dangerous and often thankless line of work. Being prior military, I know what sacrifices you have made to a large degree.

Regards,
Eric

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,797 Posts
And, how does SA know if you shot 30k, 50k or 130k rounds :confused:

Reactions: removed

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Greetings!

Had the opportunity to use a SA Pro light rail recently and found it an ABSOLUTE pleasure to shoot. Not a 1911 user up till now. Have always been a Glockmeister for both on and off duty carry.

Strongly considering the SA Pro for LE duty and off duty carry.

Few concerns that perhaps I could tap into your brains on:

1) Reliability: I’ve read and read the SA Pro is absurdly reliable; warrantied to 50K rounds. True?

2) Breakages: plunger tube, etc. Common on a custom gun? I don’t mind the extra vigilance of a 1911, but can’t be dealing with small parts falling off in the course of my duty.

Would love to again, hear your thoughts here! Thanks everyone! Very appreciated.
My .45 Pro has passed the 15k mark with no issues. I thoroughly enjoy its reliability and the overall quality of the build. I got to run around one of the SHOT shows a few years back comparing semi-custom 1911's. The Professional just 'feels' different. Random and arbitrary, i know!

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
My .45 Pro has passed the 15k mark with no issues. I thoroughly enjoy its reliability and the overall quality of the build. I got to run around one of the SHOT shows a few years back comparing semi-custom 1911's. The Professional just 'feels' different. Random and arbitrary, i know!
I'm glad someone else feels that way, it is hard to explain, its like when you grip it, it commands your hand to hold on tight!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have never had any parts loosen or fall off a 1911 besides a barrel link pin. As a armorer for a 110 officer agency which mandated Glocks for 17 years I have seen many broken slide stop levers, extractor hooks, and ejectors. In Glocks defense only the extractor hook stopped the gun from running. Many officers had no idea their ejector was broken off because the gun still worked. The SA pro, is built for hard professional use and problems are unlikely.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,928 Posts
Love my SACs Pro LR. Just won an auction for the non-railed version in 9mm as well.
Only complaint I’ve had, as have had many others, is that it is TIGHT. I had to use a double hand method to rack it each time till I got around 500 through it. Still tight, but manageable using standard methods for pulling the slide back. I’ve heard of people using the benchrest to help pull the slide back, too.
Not so much a problem per se, just a general bitch. I do have some reservations about the fact that even the PROs don’t come with a VIS cutout.
As for common breakage, kept in good working order and springs changed out regularly, maybe you’ll need to tune the extractor after 5,000 or so, but that’s about it.
Personally, I’d have 0 reservations about carrying a PRO for a duty weapon. I mean it’s not like the FBI HRT wanted their guys to die from carrying shitty guns

·
Registered
786 Posts
Should be plenty reliable for what you want to do with it. Of course there is always a chance you’ll get a lemon that needs to go back for extra reliability work, but I highly doubt it. If it does, Springfield does an excellent job of getting duty guns in and out of the shop for repair.

I did a 20k round review of a railed pro on this site not long back. It now has over 25,000 and is still running just as good as new. It’s not as tight as before, but silky smooth now.

I also appreciate the history of the Pro, especially when being purchased for law enforcement use.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

@Quack reposted the original Handgunner article in this thread. It's a good read, starts at post #16

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads...est-that-decided-on-the-springfield-pro.7995/

If you purchase a new one for duty, be sure to check it out with a variety of ammo. Not every Springfield Pro is perfect out of the box. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/new-springfield-pro-having-problems.41576/page-4

I have never had reliability issues with my Pro, and I use a variety of mags and ammo. I actually own 3 Pros, one shooter, one that feels like it's had 500k rounds through it, and one new in box. Here's the range gun that has never had a misfeed using any mag, from Metalform, old Colt, Checkmate, Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, etc. All feed reliably and lock back the slide on the last round.

Here's the one I received from a forum member here that is actually loose from shooting. But, note the build date.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
5,928 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts