1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
WOW!!!! Only one bid so far.
What is the difference between this, and a regular Professional Model? My Pro has the script Custom Shop on the slide, but doesn’t have bureau model on it.....

·
Premium Member
26,525 Posts
What is the difference between this, and a regular Professional Model? My Pro has the script Custom Shop on the slide, but doesn’t have bureau model on it.....
You kinda answered it yourself. The FBI prefix serial number vs CRG is the diff

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Original FBI contract started out as Bureau model at the beginning and Springfield offer the same gun with exact marking for civilian sales. Only less than 300 made before FBI request to put a stop on civilian sales of the gun with FBI pre-fix serial numbers. Springfield then call the FBI contract gun "Professional Model" and offer as such for all subsequent sales to government agencies and civilians.

For the less than 300 FBI marked pistols, don't know how many are in civilian hands. So here you go, it's a rare bird and a conversation piece. Functionwise, Pro = Bureau Model.

Too bad I am in the State that seller don't want to ship to.😞

·
Feed my Addiction!
568 Posts
By history, 258 were marked FBI and of those, only 50 made it out to the civilian market. This is a rare bird for sure for the collector. FYI, the seller does not have a Springfield Certificate of Authenticity with this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By history, 258 were marked FBI and of those, only 50 made it out to the civilian market. This is a rare bird for sure for the collector. FYI, the seller does not have a Springfield Certificate of Authenticity with this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
In my opinion, certificate is not necessary. It's unique enough that it is instantly recognizable.
BTW, I got 2 Pros bought both used and none of them have certificates.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn’t have FBI cut/bevel on the slide stop.
interesting detail noted. Also early FBI marked 1911 has hammer in-the-white, Black-T barrel bushing.

I dug up a known FBI marked previously sold in auction. Has appears to be exact same slide stop without FBI cut/bevel.

·
Feed my Addiction!
568 Posts
interesting detail noted. Also early FBI marked 1911 has hammer in-the-white, Black-T barrel bushing.

I dug up a known FBI marked previously sold in auction. Has appears to be exact same slide stop without FBI cut/bevel.
It appears that these two pistols differ in that the current pistol on GB has a black-T finish on the barrel which is also shorter at the muzzle.

Reactions: GMPHK

·
Registered
115 Posts
Pros have had different barrel lengths. I’ve seen pics from owners of multiple Pros and there is a lot of variance it seems.
The earlier guns had Nowlin barrels. The one on GB doesn’t have that on the hood.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The Black-T coated vs. bare SS barrel is an intriguing one. GB one also sports a Nowlin barrel. Just hard to see in GB standard photos. I zoomed in a bit and it's there. Here you go.

I also agree that Springfield use both long or more standard proportioned Nowlin on the Pro. Mine has shorter one.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Black-T coated vs. bare SS barrel is an intriguing one. GB one also sports a Nowlin barrel. Just hard to see in GB standard photos. I zoomed in a bit and it's there. Here you go.
View attachment 684905

I also agree that Springfield use both long or more standard proportioned Nowlin on the Pro. Mine has shorter one.
Wow man! You’ve got good eyes still. I am considering bidding. I’ve always liked the Pros I’ve had. I’m down to a 45 rail and a 9mm standard. I will not get rid of either. Great guns!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck! I wish I can, but seller don't want to ship to my State or cannot. Pro PC9111 is legal to purchase in CA. Maybe Bureau Model has different model # or no model number at all.

·
NRA Life Member
3,876 Posts
I was shocked to see the Black-T Nowlin on this this one as well.

Great looking pistol. Should fetch a pretty penny

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,009 Posts
Vickers has FBI 29 in his 1911 book. Non recessed slide stop.
I put a bid in on this FBI 14. I have a limit I'm willing to go to, but if I get this, I'll be supremely happy. However, I sincerely doubt this beauty goes for the amount I'm willing to spend.
Guesses on how high it goes?
$6,500+?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Vickers has FBI 29 in his 1911 book. Non recessed slide stop.
I put a bid in on this FBI 14. I have a limit I'm willing to go to, but if I get this, I'll be supremely happy. However, I sincerely doubt this beauty goes for the amount I'm willing to spend.
Guesses on how high it goes?
$6,500+?

I’m thinking close to that. I haven’t bid yet. I really don’t need another pistol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Springfield offered Bureau Model to civilian with MSRP $1,895 in 1998/1999. But dollars worth more than the same dollars today. It's equivalent to ~$3k or a bit more today.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts