1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple Springfield Professionals, in the for sale forum, on this site lately. I currently own a TRP and am wondering if the Professional is THAT much better. I find the TRP to be a very good pistol. Anyone have experience with both? Will you share your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
In a word - Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes! The Professional is a hand built SACS custom shop pistol. The TRP is a very nice production level gun. The Pros that have been coming up in the classifieds are steals in my opinion.

I currently own 2 Pros otherwise I’d be picking up one of those off the classifieds (I still might). I have owned a couple TRP’s in the past and both were nice pieces; one was limited semi custom 10-8 model that Hilton Yam built and the other was a fine stainless TRP.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a lot of rounds through both. The professional is a better gun, hands down. It feels much better quality, has many hand touches, tighter slide to frame fit, better barrel fit, and in my hands, is easier to shoot accurately. It is, however, much more expensive. If it’s worth the extra cost is up to you and your finances. I carried a TRP for a number of years, and once I received my first Pro, the TRP was relegated to back up duty. I have more expensive guns, but none I enjoy the feel of more or shoot better.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
I have both. The fit is MUCH better on the Pro. Better magwell fully blended, hand fit barrel, better safeties and better fit, etc. I believe the new pros still have some mim parts but not as many as the TRP. If you are used to the fit of semis and customs the Pro will be an easier transition. I actually shoot both about the same, the TRP is the most accurate production gun I have. Both handle recoil very well also. I will never sell my TRP as it is the first 1911 I purchased many years ago and still shoot it regularly with my semis and customs. With that said, I much prefer the fit of the pro and gravitate to it more. I do wish they used a high cut on the front strap of the pros, if they did I would personally like it even better.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should add that if you want a pro now is probably a good time to acquire one. I have seen some in the classifieds for very good prices lately!
I have noticed that and, at least partially, this is what piqued my interest. Thanks to all who have responded so rapidly, I will have to consider a new purchase!!!!!

Gary

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Magwell fit comparison. Pro on the left.
Shoe Metal Grey Beige Steel

Checkering, the pro is supposed to be hand cut, at least it was. Not sure if it still is.
Metal Steel Composite material Iron Microphone stand

The rail on the Pro is a little longer.
Metal Grey Steel Composite material Silver

the black t finish of the pro seems to hold up better than the armory Kote of the TRP. That’s the second finish on the TRP. It has about 65k and the pro only has about 33k.
Metal Iron Steel Gun accessory Air gun

Thumb safety and grip safety fit is better on the Pro.
Metal Carbon Composite material Material property Steel
Metal Iron Leather Material property Silver
Metal Technology Iron Steel Silver

The barrel on the pro is actually fit, where the TRP seems like it dropped in. I can push down on the hood of the TRP and there is noticeable play.
Finger Thumb Nail Material property Silver

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Magwell fit comparison. Pro on the left. View attachment 382563
Checkering, the pro is supposed to be hand cut, at least it was. Not sure if it still is.
View attachment 382565
The rail on the Pro is a little longer.
View attachment 382567
the black t finish of the pro seems to hold up better than the armory Kote of the TRP. That’s the second finish on the TRP. It has about 65k and the pro only has about 33k.
View attachment 382569
Thumb safety and grip safety fit is better on the Pro.
View attachment 382571 View attachment 382573 View attachment 382575
The barrel on the pro is actually fit, where the TRP seems like it dropped in. I can push down on the hood of the TRP and there is noticeable play.
View attachment 382577
Awesome that you have ran those that much. Love the wear on them and the testament of their durability that this showcases. I also didn’t realize they were hand checkered. Dammit now I want a railed pro to match my other one...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of the TRP in favor of a professional. I just picked up a TRP to compliment my professional. While the gun isn't built to the same exacting standards as a semi custom professional, my TRP (sample of one) is a tack-driver and has a lock-up seemingly as tight as the pro. With that said, my biggest gripe about the professional is that when the price went up, the cast/mim parts didn't change to tool steel. The gun just stayed the same.

Ultimately, there is a pedigree to the pistol. It is very well vetted and tested and there is a few around the interwebs that have a higher 5 digit round count. @Ethank is a good source for the comparison between the two. For the right price, it is a worth it.

ETA: Looks like he beat me to it!

·
Administrator
8,317 Posts
Yes there is a huge difference. I have had a pro and have a TRP 10mm the pro locked up tight and was super accurate. The TRP barrel it came with was virtually useless. It had about .025 of Gap from the barrel hood to breach face and the same on the sides of the hood. The chamber was so tight it wouldn’t chamber a single round. I had the barrel replaced with a hard fit Nighthawk barrel unfired. It also had a trigger I would compare to a mil spec ar15 so all the ignition parts were replaced as well. Now I feel it is equal to or better then the pro.

·
In Kentucky
11,476 Posts
My trp is stainless steel. Slide to frame fit is tight with no play. Barrel lock up is tight.only mim parts left sre ejector snd btgs. Came with 4.5 lb trigger pull from factory. Now has 4 lb cAnd s ignition kit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
View attachment 382569

Sorry as it's off topic. What all did you have to replace after that many rounds through them? Still original barrels/still hold the accuracy? Love to see that you put that much rounds through them! I couldn't even afford that much in the ammunition alone. Lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have seen a couple Springfield Professionals, in the for sale forum, on this site lately. I currently own a TRP and am wondering if the Professional is THAT much better. I find the TRP to be a very good pistol. Anyone have experience with both? Will you share your thoughts?

Many thanks,
Gary
you could save some money if you get the TRP and send it out to Bob Cogan. I'd put his work up against any fancy paint job.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.