1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a Springfield Custom Professional in 9mm for $2000.
So guys how do they compare to Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown?
Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I would buy the Springfield, I had one and sold it, I missed it and bought another.
It is hard to explain but they seem to have a historical soul.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
That’s a smoking price, I would buy the pro if it looks to be decently maintained. The differences between other semi shops are endless depending on options. As a pro owner i would way these are the areas you need to ensure you are okay with:

1.) 20 LPI - I like it but it is rough on the hand
2.) no high cut - my biggest gripe of the Pro, second is the sights
3.) ambi safety

if you are okay with those I would say :buynow:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Springfield Pros are at minimum the equal of the other semi-custom brands, or at least traditionally have been. Since Springfield's latest restructuring and changes made to the Custom Shop, there are lingering questions about build quality and some perceive an uptick of complaints in the recent CS builds.

I'd feel perfectly comfortable getting a Springfield Pro. The rub as JM44 correctly notes is there's no customizing a factory new Pro, but if its stock configuration suits you, you're good to go.

My own personal caveat with the sale you mention is that it's a Government-sized 1911 in 9mm; I'd prefer a lighter slide to increase reliability with the lighter 9mm loads, but they can be tuned to run.

$2000 is a remarkably good price if it's well-preserved -- do your function and visual checks before closing the deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Springfield Pros are at minimum the equal of the other semi-custom brands, or at least traditionally have been. Since Springfield's latest restructuring and changes made to the Custom Shop, there are lingering questions about build quality and some perceive an uptick of complaints in the recent CS builds.
Do you know more or less when restructuring and changes began?

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
I’ve liked the Pros I’ve owned and the ones I still own, but what I don’t like is a Pro is a Pro is a Pro.
No changes can be made until AFTER you buy one.
And these come from their “Custom Shop”?
SACS,... it’s been time to wake up and smell the coffee for a long long time.

·
Turgid member
568 Posts
That's why they have other models.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
great gun especially at that price.compares ell to a WC or nhc

·
Turgid member
568 Posts
While one could feebly argue the Professional is a production gun it has hand fitted rather than drop in parts.
When people want the only model that passed the grueling FBI tests that is what they want.
Capisce?

Reactions: Tactical Rico

·
Premium Member
27,268 Posts
While one could feebly argue the Professional is a production gun it has hand fitted rather than drop in parts.
When people want the only model that passed the grueling FBI tests that is what they want.
Capisce?
Feebly?

Ok, calm down....the fact that one can not get CUSTOM features added to the pistol makes it a production piece. Yes, it is a hand fit pistol with a pedigree. Take a minute and look at the definition of custom. And yes,....I do own a Pro, great pistol

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Great price on the pro, Id go Wilson or NH personally especially in today's market.

Reactions: HooDoo Man
1 - 20 of 23 Posts