1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R.O. Compact and after a few hundred rounds I am getting failure to fires- light primer strikes. I called Springfield and they offered that the ammo I used was known to have heavy primers (even though my 5 other 1911’s have no issues with it) and also advised to remove the firing pin and spring and clean out the firing pin hole. I did that and also tried 4 other brands of ammo and all but one produced the same results. I also tried a shorter firing pin spring as the factory original is longer than any of the other springs from my other guns. Same result. I guess next I will try a heavier hammer spring but it seems odd since the gun got very good reviews.

Anyone have any ideas other than sending it back to Springfield ?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Agree with Steve Owens. SA FP's are the first thing I change.

Reactions: simonp

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Agree with Steve Owens. SA FP's are the first thing I change.
Agreed, I thought the TI pin was something they did for California and the drop test but if they do it all over now that’s your likely culprit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
If if were me I'd switch to a steel firing pin and an extra power firing pin return spring. If you go with the steel pin and the original spring you will have zero drop protection.
Everyone says " yeah but I don't plan on dropping my weapon ".....nobody plans to drop it but it does happen.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,435 Posts
Springfield has excellent CS and turn around times, send it back and make them make it right.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a R.O. Compact and after a few hundred rounds I am getting failure to fires- light primer strikes. I called Springfield and they offered that the ammo I used was known to have heavy primers (even though my 5 other 1911’s have no issues with it) and also advised to remove the firing pin and spring and clean out the firing pin hole. I did that and also tried 4 other brands of ammo and all but one produced the same results. I also tried a shorter firing pin spring as the factory original is longer than any of the other springs from my other guns. Same result. I guess next I will try a heavier hammer spring but it seems odd since the gun got very good reviews.

Anyone have any ideas other than sending it back to Springfield ?
NWPA:
When I approached Springfield about having the Ti FP and spring, on my EMP4, changed over to Steel here was their response:

Contacting SA Customer Service left me frustrated as it was their requirement that I send the pistol back on my dime if I wanted the steel pin/spring combo, and "if they deemed it necessary", they would replace the Ti with steel and send it back. What a crock of BS!

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/steel-fp-for-emp4.72177/page-2#post-1131725

Ended up having a great friend make me one to fit and upgraded myself! Definitely worth the effort!
:thumbs:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had a RO champion with the same issue. I just replaced it FP spring with one from Wilson and the problem was fixed. Actually now that I think on that, I replaced all the springs with a Wilson kit. Meh. You shouldn't have to change anything from a brand like Springfield but here we are......

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Or is it the 38s/ Springfield firing pin?
https://www.edbrown.com/product/1911-firing-pins/

Do we know the exact measurements of the Springfield firing pin hole in the breach face?
I don't know the exact size. But I have had to taper down EGW firing pins slightly, to have them work on the Springfield.

But, I did find this quote on the Springfield FP issue.

"Standared 1911 firing pins are 0.091 inch dia at the tip. Springfield (most) 1911 firing pins are 0.069 inch dia at the tip. The hole in the slide of an SA is correspondingly small, and wont accept the larger dia. standard pins. The Custom Shop, specifically the Pro pistol, uses a standard diameter (0.090 pin) although I believe it's also made of Ti, as are all other SA firing pins. I believe the standard (0.069) SA firing pin is the same size as is used in most 9 mm 1911 style pistols."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW ! Lots of great answers and info ! Thank you ! This is the .45 model. I did get a steel firing pin but it does not fit the firing pin hole. I will try a 9mm version - that makes sense as to why the original firing pin is so much smaller than the standard steel one. It is frustrating to have to modify a brand new fire arm to this extent. Steve in Allentown that is exactly what I am going to do. Thank you all for the great info ! I will post my results once I make the changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I replaced the firing pin and spring .... not much difference, still common light strikes on varied ammo types. I changed the mainspring to a 23lb .... had to change the housing as well because the standard officers mainspring was larger diameter than the hole in the Springfield housing (of course). I then put the stock firing pin and spring back in (I don’t want to change more than I have to)

IT WORKED ! Now I’ve put several hundred rounds of varied ammo thru it without a hitch !!! Thanks for all the good advice !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts