1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 1911 world and purchased a DW Pointman 45 a couple of months ago and just love it. But as any new addict I want to buy a second 1911. I am a range guy and intend on maybe doing some mods to this newest 1911.

I have been looking for a used one but prices are pretty strong on used guys and i am able to spend a little more on a new one. So its come down to a SS SA RO or a Sig Target. Price wise the Sig is only $50 more. My budget is around $800. I have handled them both side by side and am leaning towards the SA RO but the Sig really has some nice feature.

Any advise or wisdom would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I own several of both Sig 1911's and SA's , RO's, Targets and TRP's
Wouldn't spend the money on a TRP again but that's me, lots of guys love the things.

Like most about the Sig's is the checkered front strap. And those silly little safeties work great for me with my XXL hands. Easy to swipe off and stay out of the way when shooting. Yeah I know they're MIM but never had any problems with those safeties so I like them.

Both Sigs and SA 1911 seem to run out of the box, a few of the SA's needed some extractor tuning. Sigs external extractor is a turn off for some but I'm only a purist with the guns for the collection and carrying. The range and Competition guns I could care less.

All the above FWIW! Good hunting for your perfect 1911!
The addiction begins!

Reactions: Mike0707

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I see one possible problem. You started with a Dan Wesson. Now a Springfield or Sig will not feel as nice, because they’re not. Do you want another .45? Your PM.45 is an excellent range gun with adjustable sights and great front strap checkering. You should get something different.
Might I recommend a Point Man 9? Very fun and economical to shoot. If you must have a .45 a Kimber KHX Optic Ready would be a great range gun. Throw a red dot sight on top and discover the pleasure of shooting with an optic. I love my 9mm Kimber.
4A54C1F1-2E5E-4066-AAB9-1EC79EF571D7.jpeg

In the end, buy what makes you happy.
Jeff

Reactions: gun_fan111

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
If you are looking for a gun to modify and maybe even send to a gunsmith for some work later - Springfield would be my choice.

I have one Sig and while it’s OK I would not spend any money perfecting it to my liking. It’s a Glock of 1911s - nice features, decent performance, blocky

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I am new to the 1911 world and purchased a DW Pointman 45 a couple of months ago and just love it. But as any new addict I want to buy a second 1911. I am a range guy and intend on maybe doing some mods to this newest 1911.

I have been looking for a used one but prices are pretty strong on used guys and i am able to spend a little more on a new one. So its come down to a SS SA RO or a Sig Target. Price wise the Sig is only $50 more. My budget is around $800. I have handled them both side by side and am leaning towards the SA RO but the Sig really has some nice feature.

Any advise or wisdom would be welcome.
Bought two ROs last year, very happy with them. 45acp will go out for some work (to old to checker) and my little 9mm Champion is really fun to shoot box stock. Only thing that will get changed on both is the firing mechanism. I also was patient and got both for no more than $650, Champion was $600 not including shipping.

I know two people that bought Sigs and neither is really happy with them including one that had a Barsto barrel installed.

If you're patient, I'd go RO. Gunbroker does turn up some gems from time to time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts