1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have input on the Ronin.Reviews seem perty sparse.Seems like they don't even exist.,Let's here about them.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
On front page of G&A magazine. Pretty basic write up. A 2 tone with decent sights. A good looking entry level or base gun IMHO. I'll stick with my MC Operator tough.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Just brought one home today. Haven’t shot it yet.

Slide to frame fit is typical of Springer which I am generally pleased with. Doesn’t rattle like a Colt (which doesn’t bother me in Colts really). Locks up good. Thumb safety snicks on/off very positively, not squishy like new Colts. Barrel to bushing fit seems very good for a production gun below a grand.

I’m not real crazy about the “Ronin” rollmark to be honest, but these things appear to be a bargain for the fit and finish and I can live with that. Blueing on the slide looks great, especially for the money. Ships with one mag, and none of the usual holster, mag pouch, and hard case that my Range Officer came with a few years ago, which is probably how they are pricing this thing as aggressively as they are.

Trigger is gritty on take up and has a smidge of creep, but just a wee bit. This will get some attention, and I expected this.

Ejector is drilled and pinned in unlike my RO I bought 4-5 years ago, which never has given me a minute’s trouble. I am thinking about changing out the ignition components for a set of EGW parts, 10-8 u-notch rear sight, S&A magwell, VZ Operator grips, Wilson Bulletproof low lever thumb safety, EGW extended mag catch, and making this my IDPA ESP match blaster.

D05D9E7B-FED2-478F-B845-251AC120CBA7_1_201_a.jpeg

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Just a few other things. Rear sight notch is square and 120, same as front sight width. I like a wider rear u-notch but the 10-8 140 wide works really well with the Springer front sights. Internals and controls are MIM of course. I’ve never had trouble with Springer internals, but I don’t carry them for defense. They are just match blasters for me.

EDIT: 10-8 does not make a u-notch rear sight that’s .350 tall which is the height Springer is putting on this blaster. Harrison does however make one for Springers that’s .350 height

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,604 Posts
What happened to the Operator series all having light rails?

·
Registered
598 Posts
No ambi-safety, which is not my preference anyway.
Gotcha; I meant fundamentally though -- meaning, the OP wants reviews of a new Springer for which there isn't much feedback yet (good write-up from you, by they way -- thank you), and I'm guessing the Ronin is fundamentally identical to the Loaded series, and so the OP already has a good idea of what the Ronin's all about.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
One of the things that I find particularly appealing, to me at least, is that I want a range blaster with no rail, Novak dovetails, beavertail, and no ambi safety. I like Springers and this is really the only one outfitted like I want.

Colt Competition being the other, which I’ve owned.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
They don’t seem to mention it in the specs but these appear to be slim grips and slim grip bushings.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,604 Posts
Just brought one home today. Haven’t shot it yet.

Slide to frame fit is typical of Springer which I am generally pleased with. Doesn’t rattle like a Colt (which doesn’t bother me in Colts really). Locks up good. Thumb safety snicks on/off very positively, not squishy like new Colts. Barrel to bushing fit seems very good for a production gun below a grand.

I’m not real crazy about the “Ronin” rollmark to be honest, but these things appear to be a bargain for the fit and finish and I can live with that. Blueing on the slide looks great, especially for the money. Ships with one mag, and none of the usual holster, mag pouch, and hard case that my Range Officer came with a few years ago, which is probably how they are pricing this thing as aggressively as they are.

Trigger is gritty on take up and has a smidge of creep, but just a wee bit. This will get some attention, and I expected this.

Ejector is drilled and pinned in unlike my RO I bought 4-5 years ago, which never has given me a minute’s trouble. I am thinking about changing out the ignition components for a set of EGW parts, 10-8 u-notch rear sight, S&A magwell, VZ Operator grips, Wilson Bulletproof low lever thumb safety, EGW extended mag catch, and making this my IDPA ESP match blaster.

View attachment 464469
Nice looking gun. Wish they'd just go ahead and checker the front strap, would make all the difference in the world.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Agreed. That's the main thing the front strap. That's what I don't like with my MC Operator. But............at MSRP $850. A good price.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Nice looking gun. Wish they'd just go ahead and checker the front strap, would make all the difference in the world.
That one thing right there would check all my boxes. But honestly, I’ll put Dawson gray skateboard tape on the front strap at this price point like my other stainless Springer and it will be every bit as functional as a match blaster.

I swiped a slide stop off another Springer that I had flush cut, as well as an EGW extended mag catch, and Bullet Proof low lever thumb safety and installed tonight.

If we ever have IDPA matches again I’ll run it on the clock.

C22A5AD7-B1D8-4DE7-800C-AF03517B30E9_1_201_a.jpeg
B4EA8D1E-00F8-4E73-9BE0-910026D239BF_1_201_a.jpeg

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Just noticed that Springfield appears to be putting fixed rear sights that are .350 height versus .325 that I expected (for whatever reason I expected that), and 10-8 Performance doesn’t make one .350. Glad I caught that before 10-8 shipped.

Fortunately Harrison does make fixed rears for Novak cuts .350 height

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
I put about 150 through it yesterday. Whatever slight creep there was in the trigger is gone. The gun ran well other than a few times not going fully into battery when my son, who is not a shooter, was running it. I blame new gun and limp wrists.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to get it like I want to run in matches, if we ever have any again.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Almost ready to rumble. Ordered standard Wilson grip bushings to replace the slim and they are lingering somewhere with the USPS. Imagine that. But here’s a glamour shot.

Wilson Bulletproof thumb safety
Harrison U-notch 140 rear sight
replaced red front fiber with green
EGW extended mag catch
trigger pull adjusted to 3.5lbs
Smith and Alexander mag well
VZ Operator grips
Dawson grip tape front strap

51E73129-B24A-4174-9757-118298F07EB2_1_201_a.jpeg

1 - 20 of 59 Posts