Springfield Armory Springfield TRP goes back to the Mothership...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Bloodhound, May 24, 2019.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I own many Springfield products, and have been extremely satisfied with them all, especially Springfield's 1911 handguns! My TRP is having a few issues though, so this is the very first time I've ever returned ANY Springfield 1911 back, so hopefully it goes well.

I have heard fantastic things about repairs, and Customer Service experiences from several fellow forum members. Of course there are some negative reviews as well, so here's hoping it turns out well.
    Most of this is directly from the notes I sent to Springfield describing the issues I'm having with this particular pistol, I'm no pro but I did the best I could to describe everything.

After a brief conversation with Springfields Customer Service, I had an RMA label sent to me via email, and shipped it off the following day via FedEx 2nd Day Air.

This segment is from my notes.
    (-The issues...)
    1) After firing, cleaning, and reassembling the TRP I preformed a safety check, and that's when I noticed that when the hammer is cocked, it seems to depress the beaver tail, on the grip safety just enough to allow the trigger to be pulled, and the hammer drops. I am not a gunsmith by any means, but that doesn't seem like a properly functioning grip safety.
    -(Saftey & Function is my PRIMARY concern.)

2) For whatever reason, my TRP is showing signs of "peening" or damage being done around the takedown notch, and slide stop notch, and slide. I do not know what would be causing this?
    -(Poorly fit slide stop?)

3) This particular TRP has been showing excessive frame wear on the rails, and under the factory TRP G10 grip panels. I have an older model TRP and the amount of wear on this one seems to be quite heavy by comparison. I maintain, oil, and follow all proper procedures in caring for my firearms, so I am not sure why this is happening, but would like to have it addressed if at all possible.
    -(Maybe I got a bad AKote job on the frame? The slide is unblemished, and very nice.)

Anyway Addicts, I thought I'd share this with you folks, and keep everyone in the loop on current customer service, and what ends up taking place.

Fingers crossed!

Dub, limbkiller, isialk and 2 others like this.
  2. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    I would be interested in your experience as I have contemplated sending mine in. I have the same issue with the finish on my slide stop, almost all of the finish on the bottom of it has worn off. The springs also make a very loud noise when the hammer is cocked back. My TRP operator was my first 1911 and I enjoy it but after getting a Pro it doesn’t get a lot of attention

Bloodhound likes this.

3. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    A Professional is on my wish list, but it'll take some time before I'll be purchasing one. In the meantime, I really do enjoy my TRP's, but this newer one doesn't seem to be finished as well as the older model. Both are non railed AKote models, but the differences are pretty obvious in my opinion. Maybe I got one that was built on Friday? ;)

I'm gonna keep everyone posted as I receive correspondence, and everything progresses.
    In the end, I'm hoping to have a great experience.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Dub, WhoIsJohnGalt? and isialk like this.
  4. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Be interesting to see SA's response. Observation #1.) seems a little .....huh... discerning.

Bloodhound likes this.
  5. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I’m in for the info bloodhound. I have a stainless trp about three years old and haven’t had any problems whatsoever. I’ve not really seen any of those conditions but I admit I’ve not checked the condition described in #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloodhound likes this.
  6. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    I was surprised that it was capable of firing without me gripping the gun. I realize that some BTGS' are sensitive, but not that much. I didn't feel it was safe, so I basically just requested that they look the pistol over, and make sure there are no unforeseen bugs etc...
    Believe it or not, I'm not picky, and don't baby my firearms, but I do want them to be 100% safe, and reliable.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  7. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Just a quick update.
    Springfield received my TRP, and I got an email stating the standard stuff...
    "Give us 2-4 weeks for repairs etc"
    Also, they ask that you wait at least 10days prior to contacting them for an update etc.
    So, nothing really to report, just the usual stuff, but I just wanted to be sure I shared the whole story.
    Thanks fellas!

Dub, WhoIsJohnGalt? and simonp like this.
  8. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Keep us posted.

Bloodhound and simonp like this.
  9. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Well, some good news today...
    I got a call from Springfield making sure I was available to take delivery of the TRP.
    I don't know what was done at this point, but will report all the details.
    Fast turnaround, that's for sure!
    Stay tuned...
    -Joshua

10. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Well fellas,
    Got my Springfield TRP back today, and I've gotta say that Springfield is an amazing company, with amazing customer service. Plus, I just like their products, period. Being the first time really ever dealing with them I was a little apprehensive, but it turned out wonderful.

-Pistol was inspected.
    -slide stop was adjusted.
    -sear spring was adjusted.
    -replaced all springs, (and even my grip bushings.)
    -Safety checked and test fired.
    -Not to mention the TRP looks brand new... They completely refinished it in A-Kote!

You can't beat that with a stick! Not to mention all of it was handled with a very quick turnaround.
    I sent S.A. a lengthy thank you note, and let them know how much all of that meant to me, being just an average Joe consumer, I couldn't ask for any more.
    They sent me a thank you note in return, and an apology for the issues I had. (I thought it was kind of them, but an apology wasn't necessary.)

So yeah... There it is in a nutshell.
    Springfield Armory is the best in the business for Customer Service. So, if any of you fellas are on the fence, or doubting if they'll take care of you, don't be! I have no doubt they'll get you lined out, and in the end you'll be glad you gave em' a call. Now to hit the range, and "re-break" it in.

P.S.- I would also like to say that I believe a little thank you note, or a kind word or two goes a long way for the folks in Customer Service. I don't really know if it made any difference in the service I received, but I'd like to think it did... Plus, I like to let people know that I really do appreciate their efforts, I believe it's just good manners. ( Just my .02...)

Thanks for tuning in guys.
    -Joshua

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Jimhoag, Dub, wrmiller and 8 others like this.
  11. Jorge Gonzalez

Jorge Gonzalez Active Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Good to hear they got it all taken care of!!
    Mine went back last week. Going on 10 days now. My slide would not lock back on an empty mag at all. Slide release had to be pushed up. I was unable to remove the safety to disassemble it, so decided to just let them do it. Same as you. Called, they sent me prepaid label and off she went.
    Mine is a Range Officer Elite Compact in 9mm.

Bloodhound and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  12. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Thanks for the progress updates and glad all was resolved!

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    My one interaction with SA's customer service was a very good experience.

Bloodhound and simonp like this.
  14. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Great read.

Thanks for posting your experiences with them.

15. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    image.jpeg

I neglected to post a photo... Sorry for the crappy tablet/phone pic, I'll get some with natural lighting later.
    Alas, here she is looking brand spankin' new! Not that some honest wear bothers me in the least.
    For those that are wondering, the sights are TFO's (Tritium, Fiber Optic) adjusted for POA/POI instead of the seemingly industry standard of 6 O'clock hold from the factory.

Dub likes this.
  16. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

Looking brand new !!!!

I had one of those TFO front sights on a P226. Sure was nice....best of both worlds...fiber optic lit with ambient light and the tritium night sight in the dark.

Bloodhound likes this.
  17. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Did they eliminate the hammer - grip safety contact?

JD31 likes this.
  18. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Sure did, in fact it feels much better, so I'm fairly certain there was an underlying issue, either from use, or otherwise. After a little research I've found that it is actually a fairly common problem. Using my Google-Fu, I was able to locate several instances about the same issue of the hammer contacting the BTGS. Makes me kind of wonder if the cut notch is too shallow on some.

In the end I would buy another in a split second, and have zero regrets. I'm a huge Springfield 1911 fan personally, and this really solidifies my confidence in SA as a company, and their products.

The reality of it is, 1911s go down, they break, fail, etc etc... But, it's nice to know you have a great company to back you for life. That's worth far more than any repair, or issue I'll ever have in my humble opinion!
    Since this is 1911Addicts, I'm already looking for another one... LOL

Dub likes this.
  19. Dub

Mar 19, 2017

Awesome.

Well said, too.

I've had excellent customer service from Springfield Armory, SIG Sauer, Ruger, Dan Wesson and Glock. Some of it was simple stuff...some more involved. The end result was confidence in their products and companies.

Bloodhound likes this.
  20. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Very strange, I have not seen it but I only have two SAs.
    All my hammers contact the grip safety in overcock, none touch at full cock.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted