Springs Springs Springs

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jprop, Apr 5, 2020.

1. jprop

jprop New Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Hello Fellow JMB’ers!!

For the safe queen 1911’s, is there any concern with the spring ultimately weakening? If so, what’s been your experience in terms of how long this generally takes? Any rules of thumb?

Subjective, I know.

Thanks in advance!

2. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    From what I understand, springs only wear out from repeated cycling. Many leave their magazines loaded without worry. I’m not a metallurgist nor an engineer so take it for what it’s worth.

Scaramouche likes this.

3. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Repeated cycling weakens springs, If you just have it sitting there in a safe it will be fine. Springs are cheap enough so if you feel you want to change out the recoil spring after a long period of time in the safe I say go for it.

Colorado Sonny and notshawn54 like this.
  4. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Im 57 now so I would probably be dead before it happened so I will let my kids worry about those guns LOL

Seriously, I made a recoil spring tester out of some all thread a copper pipe and a digital scale . Just check the springs once in a while when you pull them out to make sure they are still in the boxes

5. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    If you're referring to recoil springs , I see recommendations of every 2000 rounds but have gone to around 4000 rounds before replacement . ( Using a conventional spring as opposed to a flat-wire )
    This seems like a reasonable estimate , however it would depend also on what ammo you're shooting . ( factory or reloads )
    Inspecting your pistol at regular intervals looking for any unusual wear is always a good idea and it will help you determine your own maintenance criteria .
    Just my .02

Colorado Sonny likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted