SR1911 production - Ruger's CEO replied to my email!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by *NOVA*, Nov 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Within two days of sending Ruger a message from their website, I got the following reply from Mike Fifer, the Chief Executive Officer of Sturm, Ruger:

Dear Mr. (name deleted),

A 1911 of our high quality is a difficult firearm to build, and in spite of considerable capital spending on equipment, we have not been able to hit our daily production goal of 90 guns per day on two extended shifts. Instead, we are averaging somewhere between 50 and 60 guns per day. So far we have shipped more than 8,000 SR1911s.

In response to everyone's frustration (including our own employees, who want more SR1911s), I have committed an additional $3.3 million to acquire more equipment to try to double production. Many of those pieces of equipment are showing up now (I saw quite a few new pieces of equipment when I was in the Prescott factory last week), and I am hopeful they will be tooled up and running with additional, fully-trained employees by the first of the year.

Best regards,
    Mike Fifer

There you have it fans, the official word from a reliable source!
    :biggrin1:

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks for sharing Nova. Good to know some jobs are being added.

3. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The one I passed on last Friday was #8814, so they have at least got that many out there. :lol:

4. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I still think they're holding back on releasing them. I got mine the first week they shipped and my serial number is over 3000. At least one forum member recently picked up a new one in the 1000 range.

5. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    I have one coming in tomorrow for myself.Be nice to really check it out in person.

6. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I really don't know why they release the gun knowing production won't meet demand, but my cynical side says that at present the public is beta testing the product for them. I'd surmise that production will go up, quality will go down and in a year from now we'll all be saying the first runs of the gun aren't the same as the subsequent production in terms of quality. It's all market manipulation in my book.

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I think it's reasonable to say that 1911 buyers are, generally speaking and as a whole, finicky and untrusting. Launching a new product like they did was a gamble. It seems to be getting good reviews, but it seems it was a conservative move rather than an overly aggressive one. I can't speak for big companies like Ruger, but I think there's always some trepidation when a manufacturer releases a new product, and some cynical expectation that it won't do as well as some hope.

There are plenty of gun companies that release new products, push a lot of advertising, and watch them sink to the bottom in sales. I don't know if I'd call it "market manipulation" so much as the gun sold better than they expected.

Andy

8. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Anyone hear anything about problems with bushing to barrel fit? LGS is claiming more than a few people have sent theirs back to Ruger, and claim that Ruger isn't releasing any more guns until they address this issue.

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    While I didn't dis-assemble the one I examined, I didn't notice any play at the muzzle when in battery, and the bushing was flush with the slide and well finished.

What type of fitment issues is your LGS claiming?

10. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Honestly I heard the story second hand. I've had no issues with mine, but the LGS claimed more than a few people came back to him to return the gun to Ruger for some sort of repair. Wish I knew more.

11. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    Mine came in today. Great slide to frame and barrel fit. All MIM parts,sights and the loose fitted trigger will be getting replaced.Possible grip safety as well.

12. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    So your basically going to gut the entire gun and replace everything except the slide, barrel/bushing and frame? Not trying to start an argument but I think at that point it would of been cheaper to buy something like a Valor that starts off with the parts you want to replace.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  13. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    Just checked mine now, no wiggle at all. When I take the mag out and shake it , there is no sound at all of anything rattling around as well.

14. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    But he'd probably replace most the parts on a Valor too. It's kind of what gunsmiths do.

15. Nakanokalronin

Aug 17, 2011
    Well the Valor has no MIM or cast parts except maybe the Ed Brown grip safety. His earlier reply said it was for himself and he can do whatever he wants to it. Its just after adding up the costs of top of the line parts and sights, a 1911 with quality parts already installed could of been purchased. In the end, there isn't much of a SR1911 left. I would of just started with a frame/slide/barrel kit from one of the top manufactures and went from there.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  16. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Lou is a gunsmith. Gunsmiths are gunsmiths because they like to tinker with guns. I don't think many gunsmiths would buy a production gun, with or without MIM, and keep it stock. Nothing wrong with that. Also tinkering with the Ruger will give him experience with how they are built and how they are to work on, which is something that's good for a gunsmith to know since he may have a customer wanting to send one in at some point.

17. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    Same reason people buy other 1911's as base guns. Cheaper to buy it than slide , frame and barrel plus time fitting it for a build.

If I wanted to spend $1400 I could build a prabaly built a custom gun and by the time I am done I will have 1/2 that invested in the Ruger.

It will also be getting ball cuts & checkering.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    Clean up the trigger pull a bit before I shot it . Put 175 rds through it and ran great but shot a bit low for me (2" at 30')
    This is the MA compliant model with the "MASS hole" and extra verbage on the dust cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The warning on the dust cover is a Ruger staple regardless where it's shipped.

They have been doing that for a loooonnnnnngggggg time.

20. lsbbigdog

Aug 21, 2011
    oh ok. I never noticed it on others. That will be getting removed when I coat it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted