1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent this out for Accurails. While I was on the phone, I asked if he could install a gunsmith barrel and mill the slide for an SRO. I told him I would send an adapter plate. He said no problem, I don't need a plate. I said if you do it, I owe you a beer. Well, It came back and he said I owe him a beer.

Notice how he even milled the sight rail under the front.
Light Grey Still life photography Plastic

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never draw, its a Bullseye gun. I do look at the target, then close my eyes. I point the gun at the target with one hand. When I open my eyes and the dot is there. If I have my grip right and feet right, the dot is on the target. NPA.

David

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
David, who did the work? That looks fabulous. Interesting that everyone who is an “expert” says that it’s not possible to mount a Trijicon directly onto a 1911 slide. Curious to see the slide with the optic removed.
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Great looking machine work! That said I personally prefer the finished look of the mounting plate where it transitions the red dot to the slide. Yes the plate does add perhaps an additional 1/8" thickness +/-. But as the saying goes "to each their own".

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Jeff, its not coming off. I picked up the gun from FEDEX distribution center because it was the second SNAFU. If I waited for delivery, it would have been 2 more days. The gun was a complete rebuild. Accu rails, Kart NM barrel gunsmith fit, trigger job and new ejector.

I went directly from fedup to the range. I had lots of ammo, but had to buy a magazine because I forgot them. I shot a few to dial it in, then did some accuracy testing. At about 50 rounds, I could no longer hit a target at 25 yards, so I checked the sight. It was loose. I took it to the "gunsmith" at the range and he tightened it up. I don't know how or how much. After another 30 rounds or so, it came loose again. I went home.

I removed the sight. It looked like where the holes were drilled and tapped were up a little compared to the rest of the flat. I took a large fine diamond stone and trued the flat on the slide. Out came the RED Locktite. I trued the bottom of the sight with the stone. I cleaned everytghing with an alcohol based solvent and applied the locktite to the bed and screws. I torqued the screws to 21 inch pounds and let it sit for 24 hours. I have shot about 300 rounds since. Its still there and not moving.

David

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a PM-9 with a chambers plate and SRO. He milled the backup sight off like I asked. The sight sits about the same height, except its right behind the port and has to be cleaned every 30 round match or more often. This one stays much cleaner.

I agree, to each his own.
My biggest issue was the back up sights. I don't want them. No fence post for a front sight. No sights in my view. Just the dot and target. Most plates are made to include a "suppressor" sight.

David

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have 6 or 7 pistols with optics and only one, my Kimber KHX, has co witness sights. They don’t bother me and when shooting one handed they can help me find the dot if I lose it in recoil. My favorite, though, is my frame mounted SRO on my CZ TSO. That’s like cheating!
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I have four pistols, all with red dots. Two are 1911s with EGW plates dovetail mounted. I too get the same blowback from the ejection port, usually clean the sight after 100 +/- rounds.
I have two CZs, one with an EGW plate in the dovetail and the other with a CZC plate mounted in a milled slide by CZC. I like the CZC setup as I can change plates/optics rather easily and because the plates are set in a milled slide, it keeps the RDS a little lower. Am thinking of changing this guns' optic from a Venom to a Romeo1 PRO when they become available. CZC has numerous plates for $35 ea +/-. Co-witness sights have no appeal to me. I am a recreational, range shooter, I don't carry or compete. I just go to the range, indoor and outdoor, 3+times a week and enjoy shooting my guns.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
David, I hear so many folks say red dots are for their eyes as they age. I say red dots are for everyone. What can be easier than putting the dot on the target and pulling the trigger! No more front sight focus, no more is it a combat hold or is it a 6'oclock hold, no more aligning the front and rear sight to be level and plumb. Of course in all applications the shooter has to do their part.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AND look at the target, not your front sight. Like throwing a ball, look where its going. Seems to help.

I got out of bullseye because the sights were blurry. I used a Merrit disc, but it was dark or indoors, it did not work.
Once I tried a dot I was hooked.

My wife learned with a dot and laser sights. She can't shoot Irons on a pistol. I taught her to shoot 2 years ago and she is just over 60.

When I shot bullseye in my 30s, If I guy had a battery go dead, he asked for an alibi, everybody laughed and said no.
When I was in my early 50s, I was one of the few on the line with Irons.

Yes, red dot sights are like cheating.

Stay tuned for pics of my PM-9 with the chambers plate.

David

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Look forward to seeing pics of your PM-9. I too have a PM-9 with an EGW plate and a Trijicon RMR. Love the gun and RDS. Both have been trouble free. I have about 10,500 rounds thru it.
I believe Jeff (JNW) on this forum has a PM-9 as well w/a Kimber plate milled in to the slide. I think the Wesson 1911s are phenomenal guns dollar for dollar.

Reactions: Badabing11

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
David, that looks great. Did Joe C do the milling as well? Does Joe C have plates for most other optics, Venom, Leupold DPP, Sig Romeo etc., etc?
Great photography by the way! What kind of camera?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.