1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reassembling my Staccato C today, and had an issue that I've never run into before. I lost the takedown tool a long time ago, so I have to reassemble against spring pressure (this might be what caused the issue, but I'm not sure). As I was reassembling, the guide rod slipped down from where it usually sits against the portion of the barrel that holds the barrel link. This resulted in the guide rod sitting at a weird upwards angle and protruding from the front of the slide by maybe a quarter inch. I took it down, and after some finagling of the guide rod, got it back together properly.

My question is: how do I prevent this from happening in the future? the guide rod sometimes slips down during disassembly. Do I just need to get another takedown tool?

Also, and this may just be me obsessing over every little thing now, could someone please confirm that the following is normal? Rack the slide, and then put a small amount of pressure from a finger against the exposed front of the recoil assembly. Does it pop back in by a fraction of an inch? I think this is normal, but I want to be positive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When you mate the assembled slide to the frame, wrap your fingers around the recoil spring and guide rod to support its position and keep it from moving to a non-parallel angle to the barrel. As you slide the upper and lower half’s together, continue to feed the slide and support the guide rod until the two are together.

I don’t really understand your second question to offer any help.

·
Registered
916 Posts
This resulted in the guide rod sitting at a weird upwards angle and protruding from the front of the slide by maybe a quarter inch. I took it down, and after some finagling of the guide rod, got it back together properly.
I've had this happen only once on my C, and I've fieldstripped my C and C2 countless times. Tbh, I'm not even sure exactly what happened, but I did the same thing - took it apart and put it back together without any issue.

When you mate the assembled slide to the frame, wrap your fingers around the recoil spring and guide rod to support its position and keep it from moving to a non-parallel angle to the barrel.
This. The recoilmaster on my C2 slips out of position very easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you mate the assembled slide to the frame, wrap your fingers around the recoil spring and guide rod to support its position and keep it from moving to a non-parallel angle to the barrel. As you slide the upper and lower half’s together, continue to feed the slide and support the guide rod until the two are together.

I don’t really understand your second question to offer any help.
That's what I did. Problem occurred when I was lining up the slide catch pin hole with the barrel link: I pulled the slide slightly back and heard the recoil spring click out of place.

I'll try to explain it a different way: rack the slide, then gently press on the end of the recoil spring. Does it ever so slightly move rearward?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'll try to explain it a different way: rack the slide, then gently press on the end of the recoil spring. Does it ever so slightly move rearward?
Just checked this. The very end of the recoil master (thin rod with the nub) moves all over the place with mild finger pressure - up, down, left, right, and even depresses about a 1/4 of an inch into the gun. The thicker part of the recoil master that is closest to the slidelock pin does not move at all.

Edit: forget using finger pressure, I can just shake the gun with the slide locked back and that nubbin wiggles all over the place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked this. The very end of the recoil master (thin rod with the nub) moves all over the place with mild finger pressure - up, down, left, right, and even depresses about a 1/4 of an inch into the gun. The thicker part of the recoil master that is closest to the slidelock pin does not move at all.

Edit: forget using finger pressure, I can just shake the gun with the slide locked back and that nubbin wiggles all over the place.
And that's the case with the gun fully assembled?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is the same thing that happened to me when I tried to reassemble my C2. I don’t think the take down tool will help. My takedown tool is already off by this point. Every time I tried to install the slide onto the frame, the recoil assembly would pop up out of place and I wouldn’t be able to line up the slide stop to the link. This seemed to happen when the barrel stayed in battery as I tried to push the slide back on to align it with the slide stop hole. Try putting a little pressure on the barrel at the ejection port so that the barrel comes out of battery a little as the slide is being reinstalled. It seemed to do the trick for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is the same thing that happened to me when I tried to reassemble my C2. I don’t think the take down tool will help. My takedown tool is already off by this point. Every time I tried to install the slide onto the frame, the recoil assembly would pop up out of place and I wouldn’t be able to line up the slide stop to the link. This seemed to happen when the barrel stayed in battery as I tried to push the slide back on to align it with the slide stop hole. Try putting a little pressure on the barrel at the ejection port so that the barrel comes out of battery a little as the slide is being reinstalled. It seemed to do the trick for me.
I'll give it a shot next time I have it apart, thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's what I did. Problem occurred when I was lining up the slide catch pin hole with the barrel link: I pulled the slide slightly back and heard the recoil spring click out of place.

When the slide/frame are together, I pull the slide back just far enough to line up the barrel link with the frame hole without pulling the slide back to the half-moon notch…which I find is just enough to get the slide stop pin started. With my guns that tends to be where the rear of the slide (where the hammer is) and frame are flush.

I use a thin punch to lineup the barrel link to the frame and insert the slide stop. Sometimes the slide stop pin goes all the way through (ie left side frame/barrel link/right side frame), sometimes it just gets through the L side frame and the link and then stops. The flush cut slide stop pins tend to get caught more vs rounded and/or beveled stop pins.

The important part for me is that the guide rod is now captured by the slide stop. The guide rod can’t slip off the barrel link now. I think that might be happening in your case, if I’m understanding you correctly. If you pull back too far without the slide stop partially inserted, especially to the half-moon notch, the guide rod can slip off the barrel link.

From there just be careful that the slide stop doesn’t scratch your frame (if you care) by pulling out slightly, so you can rotate the slide stop up to the half-moon notch position when you pull the slide back.

My FLGRs don’t move at all with the slide locked back or slide forward but I’m definitely not the best person to ask because I don’t have a large selection of 1911/2011s. Maybe it’s a recoil master guide rod thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts