Staccato C vs similar size 1911s

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by indyal, May 14, 2019.

1. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Like the title says, does anyone have hands on experience for shooting comparisons? I currently have a Stealth(all steel) and dan Wesson CCO(aluminum frame) in .45 and the difference in how they feel when shooting is significant as expected. I want a 1911 style in 9mm and the Staccato C really has my attention. There was a used one at a good price in the classifieds recently but I hesitated too long while trying to find more info.
    Any objective and subjective opinions would be appreciated.

Raydog1911 likes this.
  2. Raydog1911

Raydog1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Thanks for posting this, I’ve been wondering about this myself.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    You can’t go wrong with the Staccato-C. The 2011 design really does reduce felt recoil compared to an all steel gun in the same compact configuration.

For the price, considering the options you get standard (Ambi, Rail, Round Butt, DLC, holster), the Staccato is a great choice in the compact 9mm market.

You may find some things you don’t like: for me it was the sharp edges of the frame at the beavertail, the grip treatment wasn’t textured enough for my taste, the mag release needed to be reworked for proper function (STI has since fixed this issue). One member here did have to get a complete replacement but STI quickly took care of it.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Raylan Givens and Raydog1911 like this.
  4. BBP

BBP Enabler

Feb 1, 2014
    We have the Staccato C in stock and ready to ship.

5. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    +2011

Raylan Givens and BBP like this.
  6. IANative

IANative Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2013
    This was my biggest complaint, and the primary reason I re-homed mine. Well... that and the fact I was raising funds for a Costa Carry Comp, but I digress...

I may get another one down the road, but it will need to have a more aggressive grip... and perhaps a single-side safety.

Raydog1911 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  7. Kadonny

Kadonny Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Well the difference in a smaller CCO size 1911 with recoil in regards to .45acp and 9mm is pretty big, so take that into consideration.

I have a bunch of 1911s in non steel formats. I have a DW Valkyrie and Guardian both in .45 acp, I have a WC ULC commander in 9mm and I have the Staccato C. Out of all of those, I'd say the Staccato C is the easiest to point and shoot and get back on target. It really does shoot very well and is very controllable for it's smaller size. Do I wish the grip was a bit more grippier? Yeah, but I have not found that lack of grip has been a problem.

Bottom line, it's a great little carry gun that is easy to point and target. I'm not sure why, but you bring it up to ready and it seems the front sight just slides into view in the rear notch. Ask me why and I can't tell you, I guess you eye picks up that fiber optic front and your brain just lines it up that quickly. Anyway, I'm a fan of the gun overall if that helps.

8. Raydog1911

Raydog1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Are the internals standard 1911 parts (third party compatible) or proprietory to STI?

9. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    For smaller concealed carry that is accurate and comes back on target fast, I have to say the Staccato C and the Colt CCU CCO run neck and neck. The movement of the trigger and the safety are much better on the STI, but the accuracy is pretty much equal. I like the grips and the front strap checkering on the Colt much better.

One of these two will end up belonging to my youngest daughter, but she has not decided yet. Girls need to shoot too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    1911 dawg, azpoolguy, Chris O and 5 others like this.
  10. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys.

11. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    For those of you who don’t know me I’m a big fan of STI guns. I’m a collector and have a significant collection.

Although STI puts out some great guns and very innovative products, once in a while they have a dud. The Staccato-C grip is a perfect example of this. I assumed it was the bean counters at work making a grip with a texture formed in a mold. On a private tour I had of STI’s facilities earlier this year I found out from one of the production smiths I was talking to that they actually send those grips off to be “stippled” or textured. I saw one of the smooth unworked over grips. I can only assume that it is a laser stipple job given the detailed pattern and consistency.

Well however they do it it is total crap. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a pretty grip and does give average purchase on the gun but I’m used to the great texture that STI has on their Costa and DVC line.

For those of you who don’t know, Jason Kleefisch and his crew at Extreme Shooters does all the grips for STI for their Costa, DVC, and some of their special release guns. The stock double stack 2011 grip fits well in your hand but after Jason is finished with a grip it’s on a whole new level. They recontour the grip (part of this is getting rid of the sharp/awkward/uncomfortable transition from front strap to side panels), reduce the overall circumference, double undercut the trigger guard (gets you a much higher and more controllable grip on the gun), then hand stipple the grip. It’s surprising what a difference it makes to the grip.

Well the solution to the Staccato-C grip problem has been solved!!! I present you with the prototype Staccato grip from Extreme Shooters.

37EF2034-A068-4515-A26A-35C7D902C209.jpeg

I opted for the Costa/TreeBark texture on mine. Jason said that they can easily do the DVC texture as well. The two textures have similar “grippy’ness” to them, I feel there’s a slight edge to the Costa.

I don’t have the grip back yet, this was just a teaser pic Jason sent me. I’ll get a full review up on the grip as soon as it comes in.

Jason and the guys at Extreme Shooters have always been great to deal with. Great customer service and fast turn around times. I’ve sent him at least 20 grips to be worked over over the last couple years.

If you have a Staccato or any stock STI grip, do yourself a favor and send it off to Jason for an upgrade. I’ll post a more thorough review and pics as soon as I get the grip back.

Extreme Shooters
    Jason Kleefisch
    www.ExtremeShooters.com
    (844) 404-7477
    [email protected]

12. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Standard 1911 parts except the frame/grip.

Raylan Givens and Raydog1911 like this.
  13. Kadonny

Kadonny Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Oh boy, this is the post I have been waiting for! Thank you a hundred times over @Descartian, I'll be reaching out to Jason to do mine.

So did you send him the entire frame I presume? Any FFL issues on shipping it?

Again, thank you for being the frontrunner on this. I am a tree bark fan too, so that's my choice over the DVC grip.

AF_Gunner likes this.
  14. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Oooh nice, what is the cost for the tree bark stipple?

15. Jollyroger1

Sep 19, 2015
    Berry Nice!
    That should be standard.

16. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    It should be. I’ve approached one of our forum STI dealers about ordering a custom run of them with the ES grips. We shall see........

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  17. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    That I am not sure of.... Mine was the prototype.

I believe he charges $110 for a double stack grip but there is a lot more work that needs to be done to that one. Reach out to him and let us know what he says.

18. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I emailed Jason at extreme shooters. He said it would be $125+ shipping and to send the frame so the warranty will not be voided.

19. ptd

ptd New Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Anyone get an answer on why removing the grip from the frame void's warranty? Kinda defeats the general 2011 modular frame design, marketing and advantages if removing the grip in this model void's warranty...

AF_Gunner likes this.
  20. Joel Swisher

Joel Swisher New Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I have had the staccato C in my hand the other day and it was a little too small. But the DVC C is a tad bit bigger and it felt nice in my hand.

dstallguy, Nemain and claybuster like this.