STI Staccato P HOST 9mm - first impressions

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by usmc_k9_vet, May 28, 2019.

1. usmc_k9_vet

usmc_k9_vet Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    I very recently picked up an STI Staccato P HOST in 9mm from Dan at @BBP , who was wonderful to do business with. I have really been getting into shooting double stacks with dots on them and carrying them as my EDC with a Surefire X300 Ultra. It is a bigger package, for sure, but I'm not a tiny guy and I seem to be able to get away with concealing this type of configuration. Plus, I have just found that shooting dots has too many benefits to be ignored. My accuracy beyond 10 or 15 yards is drastically improved and being able to be completely target-focused is another big benefit. Anyway, time will tell if I continue to EDC this STI/Holosun 507c/Surefire package, as it is a full pound heavier than carrying a Glock 19 with RMR and Surefire. It also prints a bit more because the grip, with magwell, is larger than a Glock 19 grip. The other issue I am running into is holsters. I have found a few good options, but there aren't nearly as many companies making strong-side-carry IWB holsters for a setup like this. I can't get away with appendix carry, although I might try it again. So far it just has not worked well with my body type. I am currently carrying in a Phlster Floodlight, but I cannot get the retention where I would like it. I have an IWB holster on the way from Black Point Tactical that looks interesting. Other options are Pure Kustoms, which look awesome, but also look pretty bulky. For OWB rigs there's Long's Shadow Holsters, probably something from Safariland (although suppressor height sights are an issue). and Tier 1 Concealed is coming out with a new OWB rig very shortly.

Anyway enough about all that.. let's talk about the gun! I have been hesitant to pick up an STI because, in the past, I just didn't think the build quality was there. Recently, after handling a few of their newer models, I noticed that they feel really well put together. When I saw that Dan was selling this one and it comes fully IonBonded and with the tree bark grip for under $2500, I decided it was time to give one a try. Add a Holosun for $252 (which, so far I am very happy with), and the Surefire and we're at right about $3000, $3300 with WA State tax.

The gun itself is fit extremely well, at least to the feel. I have no experience gunsmithing, making measurements, etc. so if something is out of spec I honestly wouldn't know it, but the gun feels right, if that makes any sense. Absolutely no play between the frame and slide. The thumb safety (ambidextrous) clicks on and off VERY nicely. The ONLY flaw I am able to find is the mag release, which feels a bit different than what I am used to because it is moving within a polymer frame. This is just a feel thing and not something that has any effect on the firearm's function. The IonBond looks great as do the serrations and the IonBonded bull barrel. The HOST system is easy to use and, so far, is a super solid system.

I have put just over 500 rounds through the gun and experienced a couple of malfunctions, which I will explain. Shooting support hand only I experienced a couple of inline stovepipes. This has gotta be something to do with grip (limp wristing?) because it hasn't happened any other time shooting strong hand only or both hands. I also experienced 2 malfunctions with the same mag that I have had for about a year for another gun (NH double stack). It is one of the 20 rounders and I think it just needs to be cleaned and may need a new spring. Basically, with 3 or 4 rounds left in the mag, the rounds completely nosedive and don't come up into position to be stripped and chambered. I don't think any of these malfunctions are issues with the gun, but I will keep an eye on things and report back. Headed to the range now to shoot another couple hundred through the STI and will report back.

For now, enjoy some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Nice rig! Can you co-witness with the Holosun? The body looks kind of tall. I’m thinking about getting a Staccato HOST and would consider one of the new Trijicon SRO optics.
    How much does the gun itself weigh?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

usmc_k9_vet likes this.

3. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    The iron sights do co-witness through the Holosun. I am also considering picking up a Trijicon SRO for this and some other guns. I am not sure what the gun weighs. I will have to weigh it and get back to you.

4. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Are you getting an obsolete co-witness or lower 1/3?

5. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    What’s an obsolete co-witness?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

6. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
  7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Thanks for that link.

8. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    I would say it is more like a lower 1/5 co-witness. The picture makes it look even smaller of a sight picture with the irons; it was a bit tough for me to capture a good photo. In reality, the irons are completely use-able if necessary.

Here is the weight of the gun, completely unloaded, no magazine inserted, with the Holosun 507c on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911 crazed, Zippy and gaijin like this.
  9. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Thanks for the pic and the weight. That looks to be just about perfect for carry. Still concealable, but enough gun to shoot really well. Never understood itty bitty guns for self defense.
    Jeff

usmc_k9_vet likes this.
  10. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    I’m a big fan of bigger guns for carry. I’m 5’9” 220 lbs muscular build and never had a problem concealing a full size 1911, Glock 19 with RMR and Surefire X300, and now I’ll be giving this STI a try once I get a good holster for it. I can’t get away with appendix carry for some reason, which is really where I think a setup like this would shine, so I’m going to give it a try at my typical 3:30 position. I still need to run some of my self defense ammo through it to make sure it likes everything, but I don’t foresee having any issues. So far I am extremely impressed with the build quality of this gun. I am talking right up there with Nighthawk (don’t think it’s quuuite there though), but it is substantially less $$$. I guess I’ll have to compare it once my new NH double stack with IOS system arrives, but that won’t be for another few months.

1911 crazed, simonp, cwoods and 2 others like this.
  11. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    If you want to try it without the magwell send me your address and I'll mail you a shorter MSH pin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1911 crazed, Dub, cwoods and 3 others like this.
  12. Okieoil

Okieoil New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    usmc_k9_vet,
    Just installed my SRO. This is my first red dot for a pistol so I don't have anything to compare to, but it is easy to pick up the dot.

usmc_k9_vet likes this.
  13. Okieoil

Okieoil New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Sorry, I' not sure why the pictures aren't loading.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dub, 1911 crazed, Mr.Fletch and 5 others like this.
  14. Dump1567

Dump1567 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Nice review. I went out today to look at the DVC-C, but came home the the Staccato-P. I just didn't see the DVC worth $1,000 more than the Staccato-P. I already have 118 flawless rounds through it.

[​IMG]

Greenrunner, Dub, simonp and 3 others like this.
  15. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Thank you. And NICE! Congrats on the new STI!!

16. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Did you find a holster solution and if so can you post pics.

I have a 507c coming for my Staccato P Host and am looking for an OWB as well as a IWB.

usmc_k9_vet likes this.
  17. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Will get some pics up, hopefully later tonight for you. I need to find an IWB for the gun without a light attached, as I’d like to try carrying IWB like that. For OWB I’ve got a Tier 1 Concealed rig. Not a concealment holster at all, but one that can attach to my Safariland system for when I’m running an overt belt. More to follow as soon as possible.

18. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Today I was able to put 200+ flawless rounds through my Staccato P DUO down range.
    37A086AC-07A3-4E0B-843D-094F49F5075A.png
    Real happy with it.
    Got a Holosun 507c coming Wednesday.
    Still ain’t got no rig set up as of yet.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Greenrunner, Dub, 1911 crazed and 3 others like this.
  19. usmc_k9_vet

Jun 25, 2013
    Nice! I think you are going to like the Holosun. Here is the Tier 1 Concealed rig:

[​IMG]

Dub, Whiten and 1911 crazed like this.
  20. Dump1567

Dump1567 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2019
    I'm a little late back to this thread, and not sure if I already posted this info.

The IWB holster that comes with the Staccato-C, also fits the P. Here's my P shown in it. I modified it to a lefty OWB. I'm not sure if STI will sell these holsters separately though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted