Stag grips, anyone?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by MY-1911, Oct 8, 2011.

1. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Hey all, Am going to get a new set for my DWCCO. I would like to get some Esmeralda wood grips, and also VZ operator 11. Which i'm going to get.
    But am thinking of splurging on sambar stag. Buy the most expensive ones now incase money gets tight down the road. I have stag on my single action Ruger.
    And on several nice knives. Anyone have pic's of there 1911 with stag?

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Post some pics of your stags if you get some.

I'd like to get a set for my Les Baer MONO Commanche.

DAT85

3. Coinroller

Coinroller New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Stag on a Colt rebuilt by Joe Chambers.

116439037.jpg

Take care, Steve

4. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I've never had a set of Stag grips, but I think they look good. Sarge had some Stag grips on his site a week or so ago, thought about getting them but I have too many sets of grips already.

5. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Nice Coinroller, there's so many nice grips to choose from, but i keep getting drawn back to stag, which i've alway's liked.
    Good grips are like holsters, can't have just one.

6. Coinroller

Coinroller New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    I tend to like "natural" materials (wood, stag, ivory, etc) for grips, along with blued guns. While these materials are not appropriate in all situations for durability and effectiveness, I still find they work for 90% of the situations I find myself in. Plus, I'm just an old fashioned guy that hasn't warmed up to plastic yet. Take care, Steve

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I've seen some nice elk grips. Might take a look. Also Mammoth with bark is similar. These were done by Dan Chinock.

[​IMG]

8. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I like mammoth. I would put that or ivory on a custom gun. But on mine i can get a nice set of real sambar for $200. Right now thats
    about all i'm willing to pay.(spend)

9. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I think they look amazing. I have small hands and wondered how "grippy" they would be. I like a fairly aggressive grip to help me hang on. My hands are about one size larger than the kid on the Burger King commercials whose buddy offered to hold his Whopper for him. :Cry:

Carl

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Those are very nice Mark.. You've been holding out on us.. Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted