close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stainless 1892 45 Long Colt Levergun Project...

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by awpk03s, Aug 25, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Hopefully guys on a 1911 board can appreciate an old 45 caliber lever action :biggrin1: I have had this rifle for almost 2 years, and have a blast (literally when using hot 255gr and 300gr loads!) shooting it. It is a Rossi 1892 lever action rifle in stainless steel with a 24" octagon barrel, chambered in 45 Long Colt.

Over the last couple of months, I have made several updates to it. First, the stock was not very well finished at all, next I really wanted a sling mount that wasn't a barrel band, next the sights were awful.

I will start with the wood. I started by taking the factory finish off with a cotton applicator and Zinsser finish stripping product. I soaked the wood and left it sit for 20 minutes, then scrubbed it with 00 steel wool. I repeated this exercise 3 times to get all of the stain off.
    Next, I rubbed on a coat of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, allowed it to dry (about a day), then rubbed it in lightly with 00 steel wool, and repeated this exercise for a total of 3 times.
    The wood now has a nice color and grain character to it. I still feel that the RH side of the buttstock looks a little flat in places, and I may add more oil to try and help this, but overall I am very pleased.

Next, for a sling mount. I had tried a magazine tube mount sling swivel, and was pretty unhappy with it. For one, it looked awful with a black finished mount on a stainless gun. For two, it wasn't very secure. As tight as I could make the screws, it would still rotate around the mag tube if gripped on the upper part of the sling.
    I wanted something that would be robust, and not glaringly hideous in appearance. After taking some advice on another forum, I embarked on a mission to mount a stud in my forearm endcap. Disassembling the rifle again, I mounted the endcap in a drill press. I proceeded to drill a hole through the stainless material. I did not have the end cap chucked up as tight as I should have, and the hole "walked" a little bit from where I originally intended it to be as a result, but it's still fine. I drilled through the thickest part of the metal, and after deburring the hole with emery cloth and a small file, I hand cut the threads. I loaded up the machine screw sling stud with blue loctite and then threaded it in to the hole. I used the supplied composite washer with it, and was still able to get a full 4-5 threads of engagement in the hole with full clearance for the magazine tube.
    Next, reassembled the rifle and mounted my favorite leather sling.

I then installed a Marble's semi buckhorn rear sight and a 1/16" brass bead front sight. I am impressed with the quality of these sights, but think I should have gone with a different front sight. The 1/16" bead is hard for my eyes to pick up... I may go with a 3/16" bead, or heaven forbid a fiber optic.

Newer model Rossis have a bolt mounted safety (kind of silly) and it's also kind of flimsy. I got a stainless plug to solve that inconvenience.

Last, I got a leather butt cuff from Simply Rugged holding 10 rounds of 45.

If we ever live in a world that did not include semi-auto rifles - this would be my defensive rifle of choice... 12 rounds in the magazine, 10 on the buttstock for a reload. All either 255gr or 300gr packing 1200-1600 ft lbs :biggrin1:
    In the meantime, it's a hella fun plinker and target gun, and I hope to take it hunting soon as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Beautiful !
    I got the blued 16" carbine in 45 Colt. Super accurate, 3" groups at 50 yds. with Lee 255 SWC at 900 f/s. Had to slick the action up on mine. Now it's simply the perfect shooting machine. Perfect for self defense in my home area here in Arkansas.
    Jess Christensen

3. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That. Is. Serious. Cool.

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks man!

5. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Also... before anybody says anything, the cartridges are not on the wrong side.... I'm left handed!

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Did you do anything to the action ? I bought Steve Young's DVD on how to customize the action. It completely changed it's performance.

7. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I haven't done anything to the action yet. I am interested in Steve's DVD some of the quick fix things to slick up the action... how difficult was it?

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Not that difficult, since it's all nuts and bolts on the inside. Also, it's nice to have this DVD, because it is very difficult to take it apart for cleaning. Especially for the first time.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I like it! How's the recoil with the 300 grain loads? I noticed there's no pad on the rear of the stock, which I thought was interesting. It's hard to argue with twelve rounds of .45 Colt, though.

My .45-70 Marlin lever-action holds 4+1. :smilie:

Andy

10. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I took it out and shot it again this weekend... with standard 45 Colt loads 600-900 fps it's a *****cat. With the 300gr +P loads pushing 1200-1400 fps - it is a bruiser. Not too bad, but if you shot it all day, your shoulder would let you know it.

11. Bender

Bender Meh...... Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice,........:hail:

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Elmer Keith was a super fan of this round. Used it to take all sorts of game. Any plans to hunt with it?

13. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    If Ohio ever allows the use of rifles chambered in pistol rounds for deer, I definitely will hunt with it! Until then, it will get the nod for a woods rifle on excursions that may encounter groundhogs, coons, or coyotes.

14. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Ky. WVa alow it. Road trip!!!

15. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool!

I really like to shoot my Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only updates I did on mine were the sights. I replaced the rear sight with a Marble's folding leaf sight and installed a Marble's adjustable peep sight on the tang. That way, if I want to shoot up close, I just use the leaf site. If I'm shooting longer distance, I use the peep sight.

I'm thinking of replacing the front sight with a brass bead on a post.

deadite

16. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Very cool guys. :thumb:

17. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    That Winchester is drop dead sexy man... the grain and color on the stock is amazing! I really thought about a Marbles tang sight on mine, but I think it will mess up how I grip the gun when it's folded down - I know I could have changed, but I'm not good at that, haha.

18. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks! I lucked out on the grain of the stock. I ordered it from Winchester and that's the one that arrived at the shop. The shop owner said that it looked like a presentation stock. The Marbles [peep does change your grip in the rifle, but it's worth it when it comes to accuracy. :)

deadite

19. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I did end up switching out the front sight on this rifle from a Marbles 1/16" brass bead to a Marbles 3/32" ivory white bead. Made a HUGE improvement in me being able to see targets and sights in woods type lighting.
    I was able to tag Ohio mushroom puffballs (size of basketball) at about 75 yards with it this past weekend offhand, so I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of this rifle.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted