Hopefully guys on a 1911 board can appreciate an old 45 caliber lever action :biggrin1: I have had this rifle for almost 2 years, and have a blast (literally when using hot 255gr and 300gr loads!) shooting it. It is a Rossi 1892 lever action rifle in stainless steel with a 24" octagon barrel, chambered in 45 Long Colt. Over the last couple of months, I have made several updates to it. First, the stock was not very well finished at all, next I really wanted a sling mount that wasn't a barrel band, next the sights were awful. I will start with the wood. I started by taking the factory finish off with a cotton applicator and Zinsser finish stripping product. I soaked the wood and left it sit for 20 minutes, then scrubbed it with 00 steel wool. I repeated this exercise 3 times to get all of the stain off. Next, I rubbed on a coat of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, allowed it to dry (about a day), then rubbed it in lightly with 00 steel wool, and repeated this exercise for a total of 3 times. The wood now has a nice color and grain character to it. I still feel that the RH side of the buttstock looks a little flat in places, and I may add more oil to try and help this, but overall I am very pleased. Next, for a sling mount. I had tried a magazine tube mount sling swivel, and was pretty unhappy with it. For one, it looked awful with a black finished mount on a stainless gun. For two, it wasn't very secure. As tight as I could make the screws, it would still rotate around the mag tube if gripped on the upper part of the sling. I wanted something that would be robust, and not glaringly hideous in appearance. After taking some advice on another forum, I embarked on a mission to mount a stud in my forearm endcap. Disassembling the rifle again, I mounted the endcap in a drill press. I proceeded to drill a hole through the stainless material. I did not have the end cap chucked up as tight as I should have, and the hole "walked" a little bit from where I originally intended it to be as a result, but it's still fine. I drilled through the thickest part of the metal, and after deburring the hole with emery cloth and a small file, I hand cut the threads. I loaded up the machine screw sling stud with blue loctite and then threaded it in to the hole. I used the supplied composite washer with it, and was still able to get a full 4-5 threads of engagement in the hole with full clearance for the magazine tube. Next, reassembled the rifle and mounted my favorite leather sling. I then installed a Marble's semi buckhorn rear sight and a 1/16" brass bead front sight. I am impressed with the quality of these sights, but think I should have gone with a different front sight. The 1/16" bead is hard for my eyes to pick up... I may go with a 3/16" bead, or heaven forbid a fiber optic. Newer model Rossis have a bolt mounted safety (kind of silly) and it's also kind of flimsy. I got a stainless plug to solve that inconvenience. Last, I got a leather butt cuff from Simply Rugged holding 10 rounds of 45. If we ever live in a world that did not include semi-auto rifles - this would be my defensive rifle of choice... 12 rounds in the magazine, 10 on the buttstock for a reload. All either 255gr or 300gr packing 1200-1600 ft lbs :biggrin1: In the meantime, it's a hella fun plinker and target gun, and I hope to take it hunting soon as well.