1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Turgid member
714 Posts
Stainless is funny stuff with some bad habits including crevice corrosion due to oxygen deprivation which is a big deal in marine environments.
Still it is often the best choice.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
So if I’m reading this right, they say 416 is essentially garbage for barrels. But they’re still making barrels out of 416?

Their website gives zero indication of what steel they are using for barrels of not 416...🤷‍♂️

Another interesting view here:

Seems 416-R is specifically for gun barrels and quite good. But as always it depends on the application.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Once you have seen a 416R barrel burst from an overpressure event and compare how carbon steel barrels bulge from the same overpressure event, it makes not choosing 416R really easy.

At one time, stainless barrels were made from 17-4 PH, which is more suitable, but that time has passed. So now my choice is Kart.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
My simplistic interpretation of the article is " it's terrible but relatively safe, so we'll keep using it " and, all these terrible things "are not well understood". My reply is therefore "huh?" (And boy howdy, I have read more than my fair share of technical publications.)

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Lord Kelvin

·
The Tinker
4,763 Posts
My simplistic interpretation of the article is " it's terrible but relatively safe, so we'll keep using it " and, all these terrible things "are not well understood". My reply is therefore "huh?" (And boy howdy, I have read more than my fair share of technical publications.)

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Lord Kelvin
Opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wilson Combat uses 416R SS for their AR barrels, my non-engineer brain thinks this material could easily handle the heat of straight wall pistol cartridges. But I’m not shooting machine gun rate of fire either. Also, according to SZ Barrels, it’s actually beneficial for the barrel to split open inside the slide during an over pressure event. Keep in mind too, that SZ Barrels has been in business for only two years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not disagreeing with anything in the article. Relevance depends on what type of shooting you do. Virtually all barrels used in long range competitive rifles are made of 416R. Would competitors use 4150 if 4150 made better more accurate barrels? Absolutely. Then again, barrels wear past their competitive usefulness long before a barrel change out would be remotely considered on a pistol. Different criteria in barrel selection. Would it stop me from picking a KKM stainless over a Kart if the KKM was immediately available and the Kart was not? No way. YMMV...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've read quite a bit on carbon steel Vs stainless. There's more advantages to carbon steel, but stainless has some advantages over carbon like being more rust resistant.
I believe stainless rifling will become shot out sooner.
Stainless tends to become sticky with friction.
The US military has no stainless steel barrels in there arsenal either.
I could be wrong on some of this, but that's what I remember

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
3,955 Posts
I've read quite a bit on carbon steel Vs stainless. There's more advantages to carbon steel, but stainless has some advantages over carbon like being more rust resistant.
I believe stainless rifling will become shot out sooner.
Stainless tends to become sticky with friction.
The US military has no stainless steel barrels in there arsenal either.
I could be wrong on some of this, but that's what I remember
The current US service pistol made by SIG-SAUER has a stainless steel barrel.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts