1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
старая каза
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I don't think there's any better way to spend a rainy, cold, crappy Saturday morning than at the range with a couple of friends and some new guns to shoot. Today was the first time I've had a chance to shoot my new Guncrafter stainless Frag and (no surprise) it performed like I expected to perform.

20 rounds, 7 yards, Geco 230gr FMJ

I knew as soon as I loaded the first round in the chamber that this 1911 was unlike any other I had either previously owned or shot. It was smooth as silk. Geco 230gr FMJ is my favorite factory load for testing new 1911's. It's clean. I can get it for relatively 'cheap' (for .45 ACP) locally and it performs consistently good across the board with all my other guns.

Seven yards was pretty effortless but that's where I like to start before moving the target out to 10 yards:

15 rounds, 10 yards. Geco 230gr FMJ

There's always one, ONE damn flyer at 10 yards no matter what I do! LOL This time, there were two and that makes me feel slightly better than only one.

20 rounds, 15 yards, Geco 230gr FMJ

Fifteen yards is the distance where things get a little hinky for me on an indoor range with a brand new gun but, overall, I was impressed. It breezed flawlessly thru 100 rounds of Geco factory ammo.

Not many surprises, other than how effectively the Frag pattern does its job. Once you grab hold of it and start shooting, it don't move. It makes you want to shoot it faster than you should, just because you can.

·
I’m just here for the 1911’s
3,319 Posts
Wonderful pistol and shooting! Guncrafter’s stainless finish is incredible and doesn’t get discussed much because there just aren’t that many made. I agree about the frag pattern effectiveness too, it’s hard to beat.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,573 Posts
Nice Heater!
Good shooting!

Reactions: Zippy

·
старая каза
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GI includes a microfiber towel with their guns. When it's wrapped-up inside that, while down inside the range bag, it seems very well protected indeed. I wish I could say that bringing it to the range was a conscious act on my part but, it wasn't. When I field-stripped and lubed it last week, I wrapped the gun back up in the towel and stuffed it back inside the range bag when I finished and that's just how it went to the range with me this morning. I keep a couple of the inexpensive yellow microfiber towels from Costco in my range bag, too. They come in pretty handy sometimes!

I think most of us prefer a blued finish on guns but, it's hard to beat stainless for ease of maintenance. Everything wipes off with minimal effort and it holds-up to use extremely well. Guncrafter certainly does a beautiful job with stainless steel.

·
старая каза
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the kind comments and encouragement. I'm very grateful to the members of Addicts for all your guidance and feedback because had it not been for you, I wouldn't have known anything about this alternate universe of semi-custom and custom 1911's, who the players were and who their customers were and more importantly: who was actually crazy enough to plop down an awful lot of jack in pursuit of the ultimate-performing 1911 pistol. I now know the answer to all those questions thanks to this group. I used to think y'all were nuts but now, I get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.