close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stainless Slide Bead Blasting?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jst1tym, Sep 25, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I have an emp that has a stainless steel slide. If I have the rear of slide serrated @40lpi to match a 10-8 sight I may have installed. After the slide is serrated does it really need to be bead blasted? I'm curious as it really doesn't expose any kind of different metal just the stainless. I know that the Springfield CS charged me for a bead blast last visit when I had the slide top flattened and serrated. Is this really something proactive that has to do with the metal and it's protection or, is it just to smooth out any burs or jagged metal from the serrations, like polishing brass in a tumbler?

I'm trying to cut down unecessary costs when I ship the slide in the future for some sight work and the serrating! I know that SA charges $65 for the bead blast but, is it necessary? Thanks!

Sorry, I have so many questions as of late :tongue:

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    not needed since the slide is completely stainless. The blasting on serrated surface doesn't yield much differences when finish.

3. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! I was thinking something like that. Wonder why SA charged me for it the first time around?? Oh well, I won't get sucked into it unecessarily this time :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    the cost that SA charges for their bead blasting, you might as well get HC.

5. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Hey jst1tym! If you keep it up, you're gunna have $3000 into that EMP :lol:

claire

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    hahahahaha... Machining (or machine shop handling more precisely) usually leaves marks.. That's what the refinishing is for.. Ron

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    just like Cody and his Harrison EMP :grin:

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That's what I was thinking. I really like my EMP, but a $3,000 gun it is not, no matter who tweaks it.

9. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Actually to date, I think I may have 2k in it, give or take a hundred or so! My first priority is paying off my Wilson. I still owe George a good chunk of scratch, but I'm gettin there. It's still being built so I'm still within the curve there..

You can spend some serious $$'s on these emp's though! I would suspect that when it is complete that I'll have maybe 2.5k in it, and thats stretching it. The pistols that I have currently is all that I own, and will own. I cannot see purchasing anymore that would end up just sitting without any use. Makes no sense to me. Besides, I guarantee most of you folks own several more than I do..I'm just trying to rationalize here as I could never justify my purchases, thats for certain :lol:

If I weren't an ole guy and in better health, believe me, I'd give you young whippersnappers a run for your collections! These days I just purchase to shoot, no queens here!

10. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Maybe no queens in Cutler Bay, but you cant say the same thing about South Beach :rofl2:

claire

11. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Thats affirmative there, or so I've heard anyway..:tongue:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted