Staked versus Milled slot.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Mike A, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I am thinking of replacing the sights on my 1951 Colt Government model, & have run into a choice. The sight that is on there now is staked, & the Tru-Glo sight I like comes made for a milled slot. If you had the choice. What would you chose & why?

2. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    Dovetail always wins IMHO, the only reason I would stake a sight on a 1911 anymore is historical preservation.

Mike A and 22ConversionUnut like this.

3. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Karl this must be why many of the better sights are designed for the dovetail & not staked. I want some good sights for the 51 that can be seen with older eyes. So far the tru glo sights look real good. I know that the milling should be done before the blueing job. How about the sights? Put them on after it is blued?

Karl Beining likes this.
  4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Take a look at some of Joe Chambers guns and you can’t tell that it’s a dovetail. Just some real fine smiffin.

Mike A likes this.
  5. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    Yes sir, unless it is a specialty sight or blended dovetail, but Fiber optic and Tritum must be mounted after bluing

Mike A likes this.
  6. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    The only 2 questions left are: Does the Tru_Glo sight afford the Fiber optic lens good protection?
    If not what brand sights would be robust & sight very well to install instead?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted