1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a blem Stan Chen SI magwell a couple weeks ago. Out of curiosity I tried to put it into my Les Baer Custom Carry. It came close to being a success.

Finger Gun Firearm Trigger Watch

Gun Firearm Trigger Wrist Watch

The Blending of the magwell and magwell extension are okay (but not perfect).
Finger Metal Thumb Nail Key

Finger Carbon Thumb Household hardware Aluminium

Finger Thumb Nail Metal Aluminium

But the deal killer is that the MSH pin holes don't line up.

Bicycle part Metal Composite material Tool Household hardware

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Anyway, I figured I would post this for my fellow Les Baer fans. Don't waste your time with the Stan Chen SI magwell.

In fairness to Stan Chen, he doesn't claim that these will fit Les Baers. He just says late model Colts, Springfields, and Dan Wesson. For everything else, its buyer beware.

I guess I'll have to buy a Colt or Springfield now so that I'll have something to fit my magwell ;)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Good to know, I’m thinking of adding a magwell to my Baer in the new year, guess I’ll stick with Wilson BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
In my experience I had to take several thousandths off the back of the magwell to get it to properly fit the Commanche pistol. I am sure there could be some variation between frames, possibly whether or not their hillsdale or newer models etc... But, I am gonna take a wild guess and say you got about a 50/50 shot of whether or not it will work without any modification to the magwell. I found the one for the Commanche entirely to tight to fit up over the sear spring. Also had a bit of the same problem as above but was able to remove a little from the inside rail. Not entirely easy to get in or out.. Nothing about a LB frame is normal 1911 dimensions., as a matter of fact looking at the original mainspring housing you could tell that stock had been removed off of it with a file as well to make it fit. I was warned about these guns very early on to be prepared to do more work than necessary in any other gun to make most standard parts fit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just an FYI the Chen SI was darn near drop in on my Hillsdale Baer, I’m sure most of us already know this but thought I’d add it for reference.
This was going to be my question. Am I to understand that there is a chance to fit a standard-spec MSH (or magwell) to a Hillsdale TRS without a bunch of problems?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
Good to know, I’m thinking of adding a magwell to my Baer in the new year, guess I’ll stick with Wilson BP

Have you used one of these on another Baer with any success? I was told by a previous co-worker of Les that 95% of the time be prepared to remove stock from the rear of the mainspring housing or magwell that even if they do fit they could be tight enough to really affect the trigger action. I think the older S&A is probably a better fit for drop in. I had a newer one here I tried on the commanche with the same results as the SI magwell. So, I installed the SI magwell instead.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Have you used one of these on another Baer with any success? I was told by a previous co-worker of Les that 95% of the time be prepared to remove stock from the rear of the mainspring housing or magwell that even if they do fit they could be tight enough to really affect the trigger action. I think the older S&A is probably a better fit for drop in. I had a newer one here I tried on the commanche with the same results as the SI magwell. So, I installed the SI magwell instead.
No I haven’t, used Wilson on many other guns but I’ve not tried anything on the Baer yet. Since it’s not a DIY install I’ll hold off and talk to a smith first.

Reactions: Integrity Arms

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
No I haven’t, used Wilson on many other guns but I’ve not tried anything on the Baer yet. Since it’s not a DIY install I’ll hold off and talk to a smith first.

If you can get a hold of an older Smith and Alexander cast magwell, the dimensions on those were small loose enough to fit. The newer machined billet parts they are making are cut much tighter and will not fit without modification. The problem is the width of the baer grip frame and the wall thickness between the magchute and mainspring housing track rails. Also as seen above modifications may have to be made to get the pin hole to line up. Depending on how badly off maybe even weld the hole and re-drill. I can ask my source to see if he knows of a particular one that may fit closer. The other issue is the length of the actual magwell tangs. A NH, EB, and probably a wilson will be far to short to reach the front of the grip frame.. A SI or S&A probably the best shot. Or possibly and 2 piece might be a better shot.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
It has been my experience that the newer machined billet S&A magwells are a tighter fit that the older cast ones.
They are but that is why they won't fit in the Baer frame. The older sloppier version give more room for err. more chance to line up. Might not fit the greatest, but would probably fit. @Dwe had one already on his pistol I believe it looked to have fit as a drop in part as it did not look to have been modified in anyway, but it was the older cast version.....

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
Looking on Baer's site it appears he does offer a 2 piece magwell that is designed to fit his models, so I would say there would be some possibility that a 2 piece EGW may work. One last thing and I'm out guys if in the near future I verify one or another fits better one either or models I'll report back for ya, but I did read in the toos post that the EB 2 piece is usually the best fit, but with the out of spec frame it's still a dangerously close call lol. :p

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,555 Posts
Even LB eggs the MS housing pin hole to fit in their factoy guns.
I have two of them as proof.
IMHO if the Chen SI magwell is going to be a permanent install then why not
do the same?. In fact, I’m going to give it a shot on my TRS.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,462 Posts
Even LB eggs the MS housing pin hole to fit in their factoy guns.
I have two of them as proof.
IMHO if the Chen SI magwell is going to be a permanent install then why not
do the same?. In fact, I’m going to give it a shot on my TRS.
They are definitely hand fit hand tooled pistols. They are definite shooters though.. No doubt about it.

·
Premium Member
31,237 Posts
Hogging out a hole isn’t a viable fix fellas.
For a Baer, the proper install is to insert a bushing into the MSH hole then relocate to fit the frame.
Baer uses a different set of dimensions, most mainspring housings will not properly fit out of the package

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.