1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can chime in here. I bought some 38spr dies and have a manual incoming to start rolling my own rounds. It’s a first for me.

I’ve found a lot of info on searches here with bullets, powders, etc. but I went to Starline to order brass and they have a couple different 38 Super selection. One is +P, one is standard and a diff part number. I was always under the impression a 38 Super was always a +P.

38 Super
https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-super-brass

38 Super +P
https://www.starlinebrass.com/38-super-plusp-brass

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
I reserve the right to be totally wrong on this, but historically the round started as .38 ACP. It was upgraded to. 38 Super between WWI and WWII. .38 Super +P emerged post WWII with increased SAAMI pressure ratings.

I'm not in a place to do a proper Google-fu search. Just going from memory and knowledge of the the development of Spanish Llama pistols and the 9mm Largo round.

.38 ACP, .38 Super, .38 Super+P, 9mm Largo, and 9x23mm are all 9x23mm based rounds. Minor differences exist in case wall thickness and base / rim profiles.

Reactions: Mtek

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
If
@DukeSoprano thank you, I may take you up on your offer for info. A lot is online, but it always helps to have someone to reach out to.

I’m going to order the +P cases everyone, they are only a penny more per case. I just thought it odd to have the choice, and the reasoning behind it.
If you're planning loading for modern guns, I think that is a good plan.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
3,299 Posts
Not meaning to derail this thread, but Duke, do you run 38 Super & 38 Super Comp with the same extractor and it works well for you?

Reactions: Mtek

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Not meaning to derail this thread, but Duke, do you run 38 Super & 38 Super Comp with the same extractor and it works well for you?
No, I use 2 open guns, both extract Super brass, one will not extract Comp brass at all and the other gun will extract it about 70% of the time. So the gun seen in the video is shooting Super brass with a Minor Power factor load (125 grain HAP bullet and 5.4 grains of Win 231)
I have 2 Major loads (comp brass) worked up but as of today I am still working on tuning an extractor.
Also today I ordered a Aftec extractor
https://dawsonprecision.com/extractors-1911-by-aftec/
I have one in my CK arms limited gun and it works great.

I want to be able to run comp brass because it is hard to get regular 38 Super Brass to stack correctly in a double stack mag (I have 2 29 round mags) one works with regular Super Brass and one will only work with Comp brass.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,557 Posts
^^^^
I had the honor of being invited to shoot at @DukeSoprano’s range.
And he and his game toys are top shelf.

First off all, I ain’t no smiff.
So take what I say with a grain of salt and if you’re not sure what to do here, take it to a reputable GS and have an dedicated extractor turned for each type of brass you intend on shooting.
That being said...
Yes, it is true, it is possible to tune an extractor to run both Semi rimmed 38 super and super comp brass. I have several guns that do so.
The trick is to dress and polish the extractor hook correctly so it has enough relief in the hook for the rim of the super case and yet having just enough tension to maintain sufficient control over the
rebated rim of the SuperComp or 9mm case without affecting the stripping of a round when cycling the slide. And that is easier said then done.
But it is possible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm using the Super Comp brass in my 9mm RIA that has had a 38 Super barrel fitted. I can shoot both standard semi rim and the comp rimless brass with out any problems.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just FYI for the OP. The only difference between the standard .38 Super case and the .38 Super +P case is the head stamp. Starline does this so you can tell which loads are +P if you're reloading. The SuperComp story has been well covered here.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,557 Posts
A few bits about the 38 Super reloading that I’ve learned.

First:
Due to its price, it’s tempting to purchase Armscor 38 super ammo which seems to perform well in my guns, however if you intend to reload please do so with caution.
Armscor cases are thin at the web and will bulge making them subject to FTF and by my experience useless for reloading. Others on this board have experienced this.

Secondly:
Starline brass is very consistent and seems very strong.

Third:
To insure consistent feeding in different chambers, I and others have started using full length Lee Undersized sizing dies when reloading 38 Super brass previously loaded to major PF.

Fourth:
I use Starline SuperComp brass due to the few 9mm to 38 Superb conversions I have.
My 38 Super semi custom guns seem to shoot both SuperComp and standard super cases equally well without modifying the extractor.

Finally
The 38 Superb is a hoot to shoot and I find myself at the range more often than not with a 38 Superb in my hand. My 45s are a close second.
I’ll keep the 9mm’s for the guns more suited to take advantage of
it’s OAL and high capacity capability like my CZs, 2011s, and pocket rockets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed Dwe. I doubt if I'll ever use the 9mm barrel in my Rock Island. 38 Super is sooooo much more fun to shoot! I think the reason my RIA shoots well with standard and Starline rimless brass is the Ed Brown extractor I put in my pistol. Much better quality than the factory one I replaced

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.