1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I’ve thought about getting into loading my own for a while. This stuff going on now just might be the push I need to get me going on it. The problem is I don’t know what I need and what I don’t and what it would cost to get set up and running.

I looked at prices of quite a few brands of progressive presses and I didn’t know how much the whole setup was going to cost. Now I think I’d be content with nice USED stuff that functions 100% instead of spending $1,000 or more on these “kits” that the makers put together for customers to make it easy to buy and be up and running soon.

So, can you tell what I’d need in addition to the press to get started?

Is there one brand that’s better to have or nicer than the others?

If I were to buy used, and shop around a bit, how much could I get started for?

Lastly, if the progressive press proved to be too expensive, whats the next step down to load your own and save money in ammo? Is it a single stage press? What would that set up cost?

Any other info you want to add would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Larry

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got started with an hornday lock n load AP. For 500. I then needed dies, a scale, calipers, case gauge. I recommend more primer tubes. I love my Redding competition dies. Although there are many good quality dies out there.
I was around 700-850 for all that I needed. That included a case trimmer than I will not use anymore for I just buy new 308 brass. Not worth the time imo.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Start with a single stage $150 - $300 ? Tumbler $150 + - , scale beam or electric $75 +, dies and shell holders $50+ , Brass $30+, bullets $30 +, powder $40+, primers anybody’s guess right now, I just snagged 500 for $65, unreal. Brass prep tools $50+. Caliper $50+. Case trimmer $75+. Loading handbooks $40+. But it’s all a life time investment, quality products last a long time

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
I got started with a Lee loader box kit.
100 cases, 100 158gr Semi wadcutters, 100 cci Small pistol primers, one pound of Unique powder.
Just sayin you can get a Moped today to put them together, then as time & $ allow, move up to a R90 BMW for the ride. 😀

Oh I forgot the cases I washed in the kitchen sink LOL. I shot hundreds of 38s & 357 mags for very little money.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
How much do you plan on re-loading? (how many rounds do you normally use?) Rifle or pistol?

Getting into re-loading now is going to be very expensive and very frustrating. Finding components is like finding the holy grail.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I got started with the RCBS Rockchucker kit, for around $300, and about that much in components. Today, the $300 in components won’t go very far.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How much do you plan on re-loading? (how many rounds do you normally use?) Rifle or pistol?
Answer this question first, because it will determine the advice you need to consider.

Purchace quality first, that way you only cry once, the items will last a lifetime. I still have the Dillon 550 and other Dillon products I started with. Probably spent $1500.00 to get started, but I reload 8000 a year, so it works for me.

The problem with reloading is you do not save any money, you just get to shoot more for the same money.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
This is like the absolute WORST time to get into reloading. You can find the presses depending on what you're looking for Dillon has a 12-15 week lead time you might be able to find one on the secondary market but it will cost you, good luck with dies and reloading components. Forget trying to find small or large pistol primers...The brass you can find, projectiles are hit or miss.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got started with the RCBS Rockchucker kit, for around $300, and about that much in components. Today, the $300 in components won’t go very far.
Today, a brick of 1000 primers goes for that $300. I read a post from a guy on another forum where he said once the price for primers hits $500 he’s going to pay off a big chunk of his mortgage.:oops:

Just for the hell of it I looked for single stage presses. Even those are out of stock on many sites.

·
Registered
191 Posts
OK, I repeat this every reloading thread: Go to the library and see what reloading books they have, get all of them and read them. Then look on line for all the current reloading manuals and get them (through the free interlibrary loan system at your local library) and read them too. Get all the old DBI reloading books, ABCs of Reloading, Reloaders Digest, etc., etc., etc., and read them too. NOW you will have a good idea what is good and what is junk (basically Lee presses. Lee makes great dies, good bullet lube - which is z-bart and check ebay for lube in reloading for it, and a few other things, but the presses are often/usually junk out of the box and don't work well or at all, and poor quality at all times. Some posters will claim they are great to lie to you for various reasons of their own, don't fall for it). A lot of stuff is reloading toys, and some is reloading NEED! I used to think the shell checkers were toys, after using them (yes, you can pull the revolver cylinder or auto barrel to check, but that gets old and isn't always handy) I would not be without them. Lee has a good manual primer seater (I really liked the old one, so they discontinued it), and I also really like the disk powder measure, (the Perfect powder measure is junk!!)

Basically what you spend in money often equates to joy of reloading. Low-end cheap junk is always a pain, breaks down, won't work, won't work right, loads poor ammo, takes a long time, etc., etc. The better stuff costs more, works (better or when compared to Lee, period), holds it's value (Lee does NOT). I started on an RCBS Rock Chucker (still have it. Works fine after 45 years), went to Lee junk, FINALLY bought Dillon (used w/lots of accessories), and was finally completely happy!! Bought all the other parts/accessories off ebay. There are only so many shell holders, so that #1 SH will work with any 12mm/.473" shell head (.30-06/.45 ACP and 60 some other cartridges), only five sizes of locator pins, so many powder funnels, etc, so buying "broken up/missing parts" sets got me a nearly complete set of all of this for 1/8th what it would cost from Dillon!

Just don't get in a hurry (GOTTA HAVE IT! NOW! NOW! NOW! Or get in a bidding war). More will come along soon and set the amount you will pay (1/2 of new price? More? Less? Sooner or later it will turn up at the price you are willing to pay) and Dillon has a lifetime warrenty they stand behind, while Lee has a so called "two year" warrenty they do NOT stand behind, AT ALL! Sure you MIGHT get some small part or pin replaced if it fails in 2 years, but anything else? Forget it! They will just jerk you around until you give up and buy DIllon (or RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, or any high-quality equipment you should have bought, to begin with instead of Lee junk).

Look at how much you want to load (50 rds/wk, 500 rds/week/month) look at the warranty (LIFETIME? Good to go! 2 year? RIP OFF!), go to the stores see if they have any loading classes (they won't now, no components available!) or if anyone will teach you. READ every reloading book you can!! Good luck and have fun !

·
Registered
394 Posts
Be very wary of that very deep Rabbit Hole by wanting to get into reloading... I found a really cool Excel spreadsheet once the internet that broke it all down, piece by piece, powder grains, etc. I'll try to find the link for it again.

Basically -yes- before all this COVID-19 junk, you could still buy primers, powder, bullets, etc... But not anymore. :( Back before COVID, you could actually load .45 ACP rounds for as little as $12 bucks, using your own saved brass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Even with today's prices, I bet I could load .45 rounds for as little as $8.00, so only $400 a box of 50. Still cheaper than GunBroker!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well I’m new to this world as well OP. But I jumped right in, found a deal on a whole reloading setup with the dies for my calipers and 100 rounds of 6.5CM to start losing all for $650. Now for the .223 cost me $180 for 1k of brass, 300 69gr bullets, and powder. Only thing I’m missing is primers. Can’t find those anywhere

1 - 13 of 13 Posts