1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If looking at an identical steel frame ACW Classic Commander (one in .45 acp & one in 9mm), which do you choose for carry? And why? Personally I'm leaning towards the light recoiling & extra round or two of the 9mm. But it's hard to wrap my head around the modern thinking of all major calibers are (almost) created equal due to modern bullet design.
Thanks.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,381 Posts
Tough choice. The pistol will be excellent regardless, but the cost difference in ammo might be a determining factor.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If looking at an identical steel frame ACW Classic Commander (one in .45 acp & one in 9mm), which do you choose for carry? And why? Personally I'm leaning towards the light recoiling & extra round or two of the 9mm. But it's hard to wrap my head around the modern thinking of all major calibers are (almost) created equal due to modern bullet design.
Thanks.
Maybe the ACW 9.. shoot 147gr FMJ through it. Or,, if you feel like a man.. 45acp.. 230gr FMJ ( HARDBALL). Either way your getting a fantastic pistol.🇺🇸

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
3,980 Posts
Well, I'd choose a 10mm over either of those but Rob won't do one in 10 so 45 it would be if it were me. But you are not me so get what YOU want.

Reactions: DSTallguy

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks.
This isn't even a question.

You don't buy a heavy steel gun to shoot tiny euro-pellets.

Instead of peppering the guy one at a time with 115 grain annoyances. Hammer him with twice as much lead in every shot with 230 grain deathstrokes.

If you want to shoot the dinky stuff, go with something in plastic.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Trying to avoid (yet another) 9mm vs .45 chest-thumper, I'll say that the 9mm is a perfectly viable choice and there's no major reason not to if you're so inclined.

I tilt toward the .45 option here simply because the 1911 design has a greater reliability threshold for .45 than for 9mm (though 9mm in a 1911 has certainly come a long way), and I don't feel like chancing going down the finicky rabbit hole some have had to to make one run, irrespective of the quality of the builder.

And there are light .45 loads if there's legit need for a softer shooting 1911.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
This isn't even a question.

You don't buy a heavy steel gun to shoot tiny euro-pellets.

Instead of peppering the guy one at a time with 115 grain annoyances. Hammer him with twice as much lead in every shot with 230 grain deathstrokes.

If you want to shoot the dinky stuff, go with something in plastic.
Shot placement when you need it, trumps caliber.

OP I've shot a lot of very warm 45acp and I'm one of the old guys, so switching to 9mm when my arthritis is kicking up is a pleasure and less punishing. Frankly I'm the guy that said no more 9mm 40 years ago. But times change and it really depends on you, your skill set and a number of things.

After my brother waltzed off with my 45acp LWC, I did carry a 45acp Combat Commander for awhile. It was nicer than the LWC. Now I normally carry a 9mm unless I have a reason to carry a 45.

·
Registered
597 Posts

OP I've shot a lot of very warm 45acp and I'm one of the old guys, so switching to 9mm when my arthritis is kicking up is a pleasure and less punishing. Frankly I'm the guy that said no more 9mm 40 years ago. But times change and it really depends on you, your skill set and a number of things.

After my brother waltzed off with my 45acp LWC, I did carry a 45acp Combat Commander for awhile. It was nicer than the LWC. Now I normally carry a 9mm unless I have a reason to carry a 45.
I agree with everything you said. I carry a 9mm myself. Sometimes even a .380.

But for a 1911, I stand by my comments. They were a little tongue in cheek, but I do believe that the 1911 isn’t the right gun for 9mm. For a variety of reasons.

But, of course, everyone can carry what they want. Unless the Libs get their way, anyway.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks.
I have 3 Alchemy guns. All 3 are chambered in my favorite caliber, .45acp

ACW guns are finely made. No matter which you decide, you’re going to get a beautiful pistol. Rob has said he prefers the .45 saying it’s not the caliber, it’s that .45s are just easier and take less time to build. (I got that statement from an ACW Instagram reply to a comment question asked of him).

I have found it much more satisfying to feel and hear a gun go BOOM! rather than bang! That’s going to come from a heavy steel 1911 chambered in .45acp, aka God’s Caliber.

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
I agree with everything you said. I carry a 9mm myself. Sometimes even a .380.

But for a 1911, I stand by my comments. They were a little tongue in cheek, but I do believe that the 1911 isn’t the right gun for 9mm. For a variety of reasons.

But, of course, everyone can carry what they want. Unless the Libs get their way, anyway.
9mm, reliable and eats everything I've fed it at about 20 yards from the holster. I'm comfortable with it and it's a lowly Ronin.

20210521_155504.jpg

·
Registered
568 Posts

Arthritis and your shooting hand will and does make a difference in shooting a big heavy caliber Opposed to a lighter easier to handle caliber. I to have arthritis in the right wrist, 4 fingers, elbow and shoulder. It’s so bad that I can’t setup steel poppers anymore. Shooting factory hardball starts effecting pain in less than a box of 50. For 10 or so years I’ve been looking at the 1911 9mm. Why I couldn’t convince myself to accept the 1911 in 9mm then,, was then,,,..now it’s a reality. I sure like the Ronin 9.. and the Colt 9. So Uncle Bob, your right on the money, lighter caliber and shot placement. Back then I talked to Rob Leatham about arthritis in the shooting hand,, he said .. “buy the XD 9 and shoot it.. it won’t hurt so bad” So easy right…🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
8,172 Posts
Arthritis and your shooting hand will and does make a difference in shooting a big heavy caliber Opposed to a lighter easier to handle caliber. I to have arthritis in the right wrist, 4 fingers, elbow and shoulder. It’s so bad that I can’t setup steel poppers anymore. Shooting factory hardball starts effecting pain in less than a box of 50. For 10 or so years I’ve been looking at the 1911 9mm. Why I couldn’t convince myself to accept the 1911 in 9mm then,, was then,,,..now it’s a reality. I sure like the Ronin 9.. and the Colt 9. So Uncle Bob, your right on the money, lighter caliber and shot placement. Back then I talked to Rob Leatham about arthritis in the shooting hand,, he said .. “buy the XD 9 and shoot it.. it won’t hurt so bad” So easy right…🇺🇸
Ehhh, I bought a Ronin. Showed Rob a picture of what I could do with it. But He's still better than I am and lucky enough to do it proffesionally all these years.

If you want to laugh, I'm shooting mainly Weaver, because if I triangulate, it'll set my arthritis off badly in my right hand, especially the thumb.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ehhh, I bought a Ronin. Showed Rob a picture of what I could do with it. But He's still better than I am and lucky enough to do it proffesionally all these years.

If you want to laugh, I'm shooting mainly Weaver, because if I triangulate, it'll set my arthritis off badly in my right hand, especially the thumb.
i
Got a good laugh out of him last year. Told him I ran him at his first Steel Challenge on one stage.
Robs very first steel challenge? Like 25-30 years ago.. ? .. I met him at Usery Pass AZ. in 2001,, fast, fast , fast and dead nuts hits all through the steel and paper stages. But his shooting bag rig was next to mine, I was loading mags,, and he was too. He said.. “how your shooting today,, mine sure sucks”” lololol.. “yeah I can see that” nice guy that shooter.. back then it was fun,, no pain, I could hear better, and see better.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I have a lightweight Ruger 9mm 1911 Commander, and it is a pleasure to shoot. It and my Pro Carry HDII 38 Super are comparable in function, recoil and accuracy -- which basically means they are both fantastic!!

I find that standard pressure 147 grain 9mm rounds are softer shooting in my carry guns than 124+p's -- you might want to try different ammo as well as different calibers.

My Commander size 45's, which are all steel, mostly shoot like my full size 1911's.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I’m waiting on a Classic Carry 9 as we speak. Arthritis set in some time ago and I’m trying to slow its progression. 38 Super is another great cartridge and offers more power if desired. That’s what I’ve been shooting the past few years. I have one lightweight 1911 in 45 but it hasn’t been shot in years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts