1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a lightweight Ruger 9mm 1911 Commander, and it is a pleasure to shoot. It and my Pro Carry HDII 38 Super are comparable in function, recoil and accuracy -- which basically means they are both fantastic!!

I find that standard pressure 147 grain 9mm rounds are softer shooting in my carry guns than 124+p's -- you might want to try different ammo as well as different calibers.

My Commander size 45's, which are all steel, mostly shoot like my full size 1911's.
You like that Ruger 1911..? I’ve seen a Ruger fan since the Blackhawk 45LC/45acp. I could consider the Ruger 1911 9mm.. something I should think about.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
This isn't even a question.

You don't buy a heavy steel gun to shoot tiny euro-pellets.

Instead of peppering the guy one at a time with 115 grain annoyances. Hammer him with twice as much lead in every shot with 230 grain deathstrokes.

If you want to shoot the dinky stuff, go with something in plastic.
Great answer. This post should automatically pop up every time a 9mm vs .45 question is asked.👍🤘🤟🤙

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, none of you guys made this decision any easier. I was leaning towards the 9mm, but picked-up a DW Guardian & Wilson ACP commander - both in 9mm. And the ACW at my local shop is $200 cheaper in .45 than the identical 9mm they have. And the .45 seemed to have a better trigger. And I don't own a commander in .45. So now I am leaning towards .45 at this time.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
It’s a tough choice and honestly the right answer really is both!

I have a lot of commanders in .45, love them & shoot them often. All Colt or at least started as Colts except for my Wilson Professional.

I have a steel Kimber commander in 9mm that Jardine worked over and it’s a soft shooting dream. If I could get the ACW or other 9mm commanders here in Kalifornia I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Purchase made.

And the winning caliber is:

When I started this post, I was leaning towards the 9mm. But after buying the Wilson 9mm Commander, I decided .45 was the better choice for this gun. A Classic blue commander that I'll carry occasionally just seemed like it should be a .45. And it was $200 cheaper than the 9mm. $2795 OTD.

Now I have to ruin Robs work of art and fit my own Ambi-safety (I'm a lefty).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very nice choice in the ACW!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Well, none of you guys made this decision any easier. I was leaning towards the 9mm, but picked-up a DW Guardian & Wilson ACP commander - both in 9mm. And the ACW at my local shop is $200 cheaper in .45 than the identical 9mm they have. And the .45 seemed to have a better trigger. And I don't own a commander in .45. So now I am leaning towards .45 at this time.
Beat me to it... and the fact I had to lay out a large chunk of change for my Cherokee. I'll get to it.

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
825 Posts
LW 1911...9 or maybe 38s...
Steel frame...10mm and 45 ... Everytime.... But that's me...YMMV...

Reactions: WC NH
21 - 31 of 31 Posts