STI 2011 9mm/38 Preban mags

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by Usp45ct, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    yeah, sucks to be me.

I am trying to stay on this side of the law. Anyone got any STI preban mags for a 2011 in 9mm/.38 they might part with? If you do, or know someone, I would appreciate it.

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    What year did the ban go into place?

3. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
    On or about 9/14/94

4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    How can you tell they are preban?

5. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
    I don’t know....just by the year of mfg....

6. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    i have a 10 round STI mag- is that technically legal there? It's only a couple years old, though.

Usp45ct likes this.
  7. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012

Thanks but I am looking for more than 10. I appreciate the thought

8. mlg

mlg Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Confused on this one. The ban is over unless your state has a round limit. Why not just buy direct from Dawson or STI?

9. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012

Well,take the logical thinking one step further as you are on the right path.
    The only 3 real answers are, I am an idiot and willing to pay more for a preban, I am too lazy to buy a new magazine that will not need to be tuned, but I like tuning, or , the most obvious; I live in a communist state that limits the round count unless it is a pre 1994 AWB magazine.

I’ll give you a hint, the first two are incorrect.

knedrgr likes this.
  10. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I may easily be missing a detail; but how would anyone know if it’s a ‘94 preban or a new 10 rounder?

SCS1911 likes this.
  11. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
    Well, a 10 round mag is not a problem. If I want a hicap mag....that has to be pre1994. How does one tell, no clue.

Stupid laws right.

12. Justin_Pelletier

Justin_Pelletier Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 27, 2016
    I found some back in the day on the Brian Enos forums.

I forget the specs, believe the mags are blue’d to determine preban, or they have a different appearance. I had a couple.

I have preban svi/sti mags In 45. I’ll look tomorrow morning.

Look for SVI mags, seem to have more preban mags available via gunbroker and Brian enos

I hate our state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. mlg

mlg Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Sorry to hear it’s number 3. Will check my stack and see what I have along with searchingl some sites.

14. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. Looks like it will be a few more years until I get outta this state.

15. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
  16. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    AFAIK I’ve never seen a manufacture date on a STI mag. Of course I’ve never looked for one.

Anyone here know how to tell the difference?

17. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012
    I do not know.. I am not trying to be antagonistic but if I get pulled over with a hi cap mag, how do you explain to the LEO this is a preban...and benefit of the doubt, probably not going to happen.

This is the mental gymnastics of living in Massachusetts. Not to go a rant but on July 20, 2016. The AG reinterpreted the regs concerning ARs and stated unless it was owned before 9/13/94, it is now considered illegal but at this present time we will not prosecute all those who have them. How do they know you have them....well you are required to do all private sales on a mass portal that registers both the owner and the seller....but it is not a registry. For $25 you can see what guns the state believes you have. There is no mechanism for removing a gun if you sell it out of state. If you build a gun, you have 7 days to register it once it can shoot a projectile.

18. mlg

mlg Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    The Gov has the burden of proof

19. Usp45ct

Aug 24, 2012

I theory yes, in practice - not so much. They can simply confiscate them pull my LTC and take my guns, and let me fight it out in court....sadly, I would not be the first.

Not every LEO would do this, but it only takes one.

20. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Man, sorry to hear your predicament.