STI 2011 magwell removal

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by pcso13, Dec 11, 2018.

1. pcso13

pcso13 Happiness is a range in your backyard

Nov 25, 2018
    I would like to remove the magwell from my new STI 2011 tactical 4.0.

I've never done this before but I think I understand the concept. I believe I need to remove the magwell pin (which also acts as the mainspring housing pin) by tapping it out with a brass punch. With the slide off and the hammer down to remove the tension from the mainspring of course.

I would then replace the magwell pin with a regular mainspring housing pin, which should be a bit shorter. Looks like I can get one at Dawson Precision (they only seem to have SS and since my gun is a blackout I really would like to have black).

With the slide off and the hammer down, as long as I'm careful the mainspring housing should stay put and allow me to insert the mainspring housing pin.

As to the grip, i'm really not sure if that has to come off or can it stay on as is?

If I'm missing something or have something wrong in my description of how I believe it should work, please let me know. I feel like several/many people here have done this and I'd appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

IMG_0442.jpg

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Seems to me you got it all figured out just fine. I am sure someone would carry a carbon steel blacked out pin for the application you are describing. i am wondering if just a standard double stack mainspring housing pin would work.. Also if you could find the right size diameter pin or just a tad larger I almost bet you could make one by filing a groove in yourself or you could just buy the SS one and just touch up the ends with a black paint to match. From what I see I do not see a carbon steel offering for this. But, someone with some more experience with 2011 might know. Or maybe just reach out to STI.. And ask if it's even an option.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    pcso13 likes this.

3. pcso13

Nov 25, 2018
    Thanks Steve!

Any idea about the grip? Does it need to come off?

4. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    There is a small lip in the front that the magwell hooks too. So after you remove the pin, just down on the back and it will slide right off. Very simple to do.

pcso13 and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    For sure don’t need to remove the grip.

pcso13 and Steve Owens like this.
  6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    My guess would be that even though your existing pin is black it is probably SS covered with Cerakote or whatever finish they used on the rest of the magwell and housing.

pcso13 likes this.
  7. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I have not measured the parts, but 1911 and 2011 mainspring housings seem to be of the same width. If that is the case, I would try a 1911 msh pin and if it works there are plenty of black ones around.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    pcso13 likes this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    This very well could be and the advertised 2011 pin could specifically be made to fit clean through the magwell.

pcso13 likes this.
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It will be a bit shorter, but might work. You can see all three sizes here - 1911, 2011, and 2011 magwell

[​IMG]

It might also put more stress on the plastic grip and crack it... install at your own risk

pcso13 likes this.
  10. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Removing the nagwell is simple. No need to remove the slide, just hammer down. Absolutely no need to remove grip.

It is just the one MSH pin that holds it in place. As stated above the front of the magwell rests on a ledge.

Remove pin, remove magwell, insert new pin, finished. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes your first time. A minute or less once you get the hang of it.

awmp, pcso13 and monadh like this.
  11. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Ditto on what Descartian said, too me just a couple of minutes, I got my extra pin from STI when I ordered the pistol, first thing I did was take off the mag-well, just not needed for me and I carry the pistol IWB.

Only thing I don't like about the pistol is it shoots up so much ammo. Heck my other pistols are getting jealous, lol.

pcso13 and wrmiller like this.
  12. pcso13

Nov 25, 2018
    Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the info! :thumbs:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted