1911 Firearm Addicts banner

STI gen 2 mags question

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  J_o_r_d_o_n 
#1 ·
I was watching a Hilton Yam video recently and in it he mentioned swapping out your springs and followers 2-3 times a year on 2011 mags.

I am about to be new to the platform and as STI has shifted from gaming guns to the HD/PD arena I'm curious if you guys with staccatos are keeping your gen 2 mags loaded outside the range...

I just picked up 10 120mm's and want to load them up but what Hilton said is giving me pause.

Has anyone had any issues with the spings from keeping them loaded?

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Most of that is going to depend on- how many times a year do you shoot and how much. If you’re a casual shooter who maybe goes through 5,000 or less a year— you’re probably good for a couple of years as long as you’re cycling through your mags.
I have 4 doublestack mags that get shot only once a year and that’s because they are my carry mags. The rest... I shoot em until I notice low performance then change out the springs. I look at the follower for gouges and cracks and replace those as needed, too.
Just my non-routine. If I was a gamer or took 5 or so classes a year with it- then I’d follow Hilton’s advice

#3 ·
I watched that video too and was kind of disappointed. I feel that it is misleading. I keep mags loaded all year long without issues. There’s no difference (other than size) from a standard mag. Now I have a lot of mags so they get rotated but some of them have a good 5000+ rounds through them and I see no difference in performance.

#4 ·
Springs can be funny things. I have a 30-year old Colt mag w/ a noticeably weak spring, and yet it functions w/o a problem.​

#5 ·
I have not had any issues with the springs in any of my 17 rounds Mags. I have noticed the 20s are weak and appear to be the same size as the 17 round spring. I jeep most of mine loaded at all times and shoot them often. But even with the “weaker” springs in my 20s, haven’t had any issues from them.

#6 ·
I love the 2011 platform and they are fantastic shooting firearms. With that said, I use my 2011 guns for games and the range only.

The magazines are the weak point and I believe there are better options for a CCW. That is just my opinion, others may have different results.

#8 ·
I understand this rationale considering where the 2011 has been for a large portion of its existence. That said I fully expect it to become a historical footnote, and soon. Just like the whole “god’s caliber” bullshit lingering only in the minds of dinosaurs and those that think like one.

#7 ·
I have trouble with the one 20 rounder I have. It gets to the last 3 bullets in the mag and the follower let's the round go straight up vertical in the mag. I haven't used the 26 round mags yet but the 17 seems good to go.

#9 ·
I understand this rationale considering where the 2011 has been for a large portion of its existence. That said I fully expect it to become a historical footnote, and soon. Just like the whole “god’s caliber” bullshit lingering only in the minds of dinosaurs and those that think like one.
An historical footnote like the 1911? If so, it will be a while.

#10 ·
Just like computers and the internet. Just a fad that is going away.

Reactions: gun_fan111
#11 ·
I certainly agree that each generation of "men" becomes less manly, and too few nowadays can handle even the mild recoil of a .45ACP. It's good that these people know their limitations. I hate it when the Safe Spaces and Crying Rooms are filled to overflowing because they shot something other than a submunition.

#12 ·
Excuses only satisfy those who make them. Via a dinosaur!

#14 ·
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread, especially the handbag swingers.

I think I'm going to follow Descartian's lead as the plan for mine barring any reliability issues, is to be a nightstand gun. I plan on shooting the C2 a lot, (including USPSA matches) carrying it often and using it for nightstand duty.

I HATE waiting for new guns!

#15 ·
I run an STI Eagle .40s&w in USPSA Limited Division. We shoot Monday nights, and I probably make about 80% of the matches...and practice (when I'm off) on Sunday's.....

To keep my mags running....I change the springs probably 2x's a year and I re-form the feed lips every so often...usually when I start having hiccups with the gun....Dawson Precision has an STI magazine tuning kit with instructions that works great in keeping the feed lips in spec....apparently dropping them on hard surfaces over time causes the feed lips to spread....

Enjoy! STI's are fantastic pistols.

#17 ·
I certainly agree that each generation of "men" becomes less manly, and too few nowadays can handle even the mild recoil of a .45ACP. It's good that these people know their limitations. I hate it when the Safe Spaces and Crying Rooms are filled to overflowing because they shot something other than a submunition.
There are a whole lot of “less manly” men out there that could kick your ass [quickly] then go back to their higher capacity and arguably just as effective 9mms. That’s not to say it’s better, wasn’t what my dinosaur comment was about. It was directed at those that feel all other calibers are absolutely lesser, Which you sir have time and again put yourself into that camp.

If being open minded about changing technology is a limitation then consider me limited.

#18 · (Edited)
And another Internet Warrior has been heard from. It’s amazing how some like to threaten others because they don’t agree with that person’s views.

Sorry if I don't agree that new is better, especially for a small cartridge designed around 1908.

#19 ·
Oh I’m no warrior nor am I threatening you, just stating a fact- There’s always someone more “manly”, regardless of what caliber they chose.

You’re free to disagree all you want, and should. That’s how respectful discourse takes place. The self righteousness judgement on what you deem “lesser” is where I take issue. That said my last post was lacking in some of that respect I speak of and I regret that contribution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.