1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, how is the slide to frame fit on STIs? Loose? Tight? Somewhere in between? I know the slide to frame fit does not affect accuracy as much as barrel fit does but would like a consensus.

The reason why I am asking is there is a used Guardian at my LGS for a killer price but it is as loose as an '80s/'90s Colt. Since I don't have any to compare it to, I ask the brain trust here.

Thank you.

dvs6

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. These were the answers that I was expecting about STI, especially at their price points.

That is why I found it noticeably odd with the example that I am looking at.

The barrel hood had no noticeable movement at all. They "claim" about a 1000 rounds through it. The person that sold it to my LGS is a friend of one of the employees.

So it is a Guardian with black Cerekote finish. The original style grip. Four magazines (1 gen1 and 3 gen2). It does have some wear on the dust cover and the end of the slide. Original box and bag. Wilson hammer installed by a local gunsmith (police armorer). I think that was it. So all of that for $1050 +tax. Good deal even with the slide to frame fit?

@Descartian (you are our resident STI expert and I definitely value your opinion and if there is anything else I should look out for).

Also, once verified, this would be a carry and informal competition handgun.

Thank you again!

dvs6

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
[QUOTE="dvs6, post: 1324019, member: 15328"@Descartian (you are our resident STI expert and I definitely value your opinion and if there is anything else I should look out for).dvs6[/QUOTE]

:nerd: Thank you for the compliment but I would by no means put me as an expert. I do have a lot of STI’s and I do know a lot about the brand. Look for anything you’d look for in any 1911.

The dust cover wear is normal on a cerakote frame. The 3 extra mags are worth $40-50 each on the secondary market. The gun plus one mag is worth around $1250-$1450 depending on how good of a deal you get.

I’d ask to shoot it first if you can. If not know you are going into the deal ahead of the game.

If it was me I’d ask for $100 off if you can’t shoot it first. It never hurts to ask.

Like I said before I have a couple guardians. It’s me preferred carry sized format gun even in our hot Houston weather when I’m in shorts and a T-shirt 8 months of the year. Out of all the custom/semi-custom and cool production guns I have I still usually pick up a Guardian for daily carry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your welcome. Ok, maybe not an expert, but someone with a ton of knowledge of STIs beyond mine with even a tour of their shop. Still value your opinion, though.

Yeah, the Guardian, seems like a great size to firepower option. That and the more traditional lines are what makes me want one.

They do have a new old stock one with the stainless (?) slide for $1679 (that I keep checking out) so this one for $1050 seems great (almost too good)!

Yeah, I did the standard safety checks (for a 1911) and what else I know to look for. The FPS looks nice and even from hammer wear. The trigger seems about 4-5lbs. The only thing that I noticed, besides the wear, was the slide to frame fit.

Unfortunately, it is a stand-a-lone gun shop, so I doubt being able to get some rounds through it is out of the question. I already was going to try and haggle on the price since it is used with noticeable wear.

I'm similar here in the Phoenix metro area for the heat minus the humidity that you get.

I'm going to try and check it out again tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help.

dvs6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.