1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't decide on which to pull trigger new DW Valkyrie or used STI staccato c both priced similarly...would be a carry gun and a range toy I'm leaning towards DW cco I would add a magwell to get little extra lenght on the grip, but it being 45 acp not sure how manageable is recoil...have no experience with STI at all but it seems like a sweet shooter...chime in if you have experience with either thx

·
Nose to the grindstone
764 Posts
Depends on what caliber you want. I've had a Valkyrie Commander and Cco in 45 and recoil is a non issue in the commander but immediate follow up shots are a bit harder with the CCO, but even still, recoil is not bad at all in the CCO. But that was my main reason for going back to a 9mm. pistol for carry. So with that said, if i had it to do again I'd get the STI.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have a bunch of STI’s. I had a Staccato-C and it was a fine weapon. Accurate, tight and it balanced well. I like the 3.9” barrel format. Short enough to conceal East and long enough to get a good sight picture.

·
Nose to the grindstone
764 Posts
Depends on what caliber you want. I've had a Valkyrie Commander and Cco in 45 and recoil is a non issue in the commander but immediate follow up shots are a bit harder with the CCO, but even still, recoil is not bad at all in the CCO. But that was my main reason for going back to a 9mm. pistol for carry. So with that said, if i had it to do again I'd get the STI.
Checking back in on this. I wrote this post I had just turrned from the Dan Wesson Valkyrie 45 to a Sig Legion P229 9 mm for daily carry. Now I switched back to a Dan Wesson CCO in 45 and man now It seems to kick like a damn mule. Whoever said caliber don't matter is full of s***. I don't know maybe I need to do like you suggested and put a Magwell in it or replace the recoil spring.
Just wondering which one you went with there @Guns& knives 123.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checking back in on this. I wrote this post I had just turrned from the Dan Wesson Valkyrie 45 to a Sig Legion P229 9 mm for daily carry. Now I switched back to a Dan Wesson CCO in 45 and man now It seems to kick like a damn mule. Whoever said caliber don't matter is full of s***. I don't know maybe I need to do like you suggested and put a Magwell in it or replace the recoil spring.
Just wondering which one you went with there @Guns& knives 123.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Guns & knives 123

I’ve shot both and owned the DW Valkyrie cco 45,
I had a chance to shoot a nib Staccato C and was initially un impressed, now let me explain
The Staccato outing was with a nib pistol and it was for our range counter rentals. I put a couple boxes of standard 115 ball through it and felt ok it runs shoots is accurate cool. (Luke warm lust) Well fast forward a few months and this pistol has had a bunch! of rounds through it with a very mild bit of cleaning and maintenance. (Lol). Well I was thinking of let me give it a run as I may just add one,
well I did a mild clean and lube and took a couple of boxes of 124 Speer lawman out on the tactical range, ran the pistol hard. It never missed a beat shot flat (muzzle flip non existent)and shot to point of aim. Sweet shooter! Definitely a serious contender, I’ve shot both owned the cco Valkyrie 45, between both NIB I’d go Staccato C it’s got a lot to offer. Here’s a question which could you run an El presidente drill with faster & W better hits?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got one of those Valkyrie 45s that we're $1000 on GB, put a Wilson magvell and some Esmeraldas full thicknes grips, got some Wilson 7rd mags with baseplate and it's pretty nice, recoil is not an issue for me but that said I shoot 9mm little bit better.
I'm keeping on eye on the Valkyrie commander in 9mm that's on classifieds and also got an itch for staccato P, but for now I'm just kinda reluctant to buy anything because of the situation ...just wait and see I guess...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trigger pull weight on staccato c kept me from buying it...2pounds or something like that I think, just wouldn't be comfortable carrying that...
But staccato p as a range toy? I think I need one of those in my life lol

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,070 Posts
Please keep in mind this is just one mans opinion.
Others will vary.

I have Valkyrie Commanders in both 9/38 and 45, and a Staccato P Duo.
Similar comparison.

IMHO if I’m carrying a single stack 1911 it will be in 38 super or 45.
A 9mm 1911 is like a 69 mustang with a V 6. Looks great sitting there, but Its
not really what you need.
Simply put there is more firepower in a Sig P365 than what’s available in a 9mm
1911 at less footprint and weight
half the money.

I won’t carry a single stack 9 mm as a main EDC. Doublestack is a different story because it takes advantage of the 9mm’s OAL and high capacity capabilities in a smaller gun.

That being said a small single stack 9mm is great for a bug gun or pocket rocket.
As a backup.

Rather than choosing between the two listed I would consider getting a DW Guardian in 38 super and install a 9mm barrel and have the best of both worlds. Or get an STI Staccato C2.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The trigger pull weight on staccato c kept me from buying it...2pounds or something like that I think, just wouldn't be comfortable carrying that...
But staccato p as a range toy? I think I need one of those in my life lol
The C’s trigger pull weight is about 4lbs. Some of their competition guns have lighter triggers but not their carry guns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please keep in mind this is just one mans opinion.
Others will vary.

I have Valkyrie Commanders in both 9/38 and 45, and a Staccato P Duo.
Similar comparison.

IMHO if I’m carrying a single stack 1911 it will be in 38 super or 45.
A 9mm 1911 is like a 69 mustang with a V 6. Looks great sitting there, but Its
not really what you need.
Simply put there is more firepower in a Sig P365 than what’s available in a 9mm
1911 at less footprint and weight
half the money.

I won’t carry a single stack 9 mm as a main EDC. Doublestack is a different story because it takes advantage of the 9mm’s OAL and high capacity capabilities in a smaller gun.

That being said a small single stack 9mm is great for a bug gun or pocket rocket.
As a backup.

Rather than choosing between the two listed I would consider getting a DW Guardian in 38 super and install a 9mm barrel and have the best of both worlds. Or get an STI Staccato C2.
Maybe that 9mm Valkyrie could get an 38 super barrel fitted right? Wonder how much would that would cost? I have a Colt in 38 super and I like the caliber...

·
5,070 Posts
Maybe that 9mm Valkyrie could get an 38 super barrel fitted right? Wonder how much would that would cost? I have a Colt in 38 super and I like the caliber...
I did that exact conversion however due to a tighter breechface, I load and shoot 38 super comp brass and it works great. I carry Underwood ammo which also uses super comp brass.
Barrel was like $210 from DW.
Ask for a Guardian barrel. It may likely drop in with very little fitting.

Reactions: Guns& knives 123

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did that exact conversion however due to a tighter breechface, I load and shoot 38 super comp brass and it works great. I carry Underwood ammo which also uses super comp brass.
Barrel was like $210 from DW.
Ask for a Guardian barrel. It may likely drop in with very little fitting.
So you ended up using same bushing and recoil spring? I already have a guardian in 9mm and wouldn't mind trying that trick on that gun first...

·
5,070 Posts
So you ended up using same bushing and recoil spring? I already have a guardian in 9mm and wouldn't mind trying that trick on that gun first...
You will have to install a 12-13# RC spring.
I had DW send a fitted bushing with the 38 super barrel.
Finished the conversion on the Valkyrie Commander today.

Remember if you shoot Super Comp brass you won’t have to adjust or tune the extractor, however you will run into feed issues by shooting regular 38 super
Semi rimmed brass without tuning the extractor to work with both, or
fitting a dedicated extractor for the 38 super.

6DE7A4C4-8072-4E48-8F74-5F80D5B5D3A9.jpeg
D00FDA68-E435-4EEA-9EF6-8BED07653AD5.jpeg
3CC7AE84-9169-4363-BDE4-BBCF36AD2BBD.jpeg
42B2F49C-25C0-4A1D-AFAD-A099EDD300A9.jpeg
BC783392-1B56-4529-B779-66935D9F5038.png

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it I'll just shoot the super comp only out of it...I'm gonna give it a shot, I was looking for the next project, I'll let you know how it goes thx

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOVE that Valkyrie Commander Dwe! I wanted one of those in 9mm but had a difficult time finding one. Apparently folks like to hang onto them. Opted for a Valor Commander and love it. What's the reason for the .38 Super, a little more velocity? Is it a carry gun?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts