1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an STI Staccato C last night and put the first 100 rounds through it today. STI says it’s “The World’s Best Shooting Carry Gun”, and they may just be on to something. Recoil and muzzle rise were surprisingly mild and the gun fed everything I gave it from a wide variety of 1911 Compact magazines. However, it’s not fond of 115gr range ammo, as I had several fail to eject and a few fails to lock open on an empty mag. It was dribbling brass around my feet. But, it ran flawlessly with my somewhat hotter 124gr hand loads.

STI says the trigger is 3.5 pounds, but mine breaks clean with no creep at 2.5 consistent. It ties my Nighthawk T4 for best 1911 trigger. The sights were right on at 50’ and the red fiber optic front with plain black rear sight worked great outside in the overcast.

I’m not a fan of ambi-safeties on a carry gun, and I can’t “dress it up” with aftermarket grips, but the way this gun handles can help me overcome those minor gripes. And the factory grip fits my medium sized hand perfectly.

The gun comes in a soft case with 2 mags and an IWB holster. Unfortunately, once the gun seats all the way into the holster, it takes an act of Congress to get it out again. And I don’t have a carry holster for a railed 4” gun, so it’s not going to replace my Dan Wesson ECO as a carry gun, at least not yet.

Headed to the range for a more extensive workout tomorrow. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Thanks for this. I was wondering how well this gun worked. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up in the long run.

Unfortunately, once the gun seats all the way into the holster, it takes an act of Congress to get it out again.
I can't say that I'm surprised. I noticed in the pics that they Kydex was molded around every feature of the gun very tightly. A well made kydex rig uses the trigger guard as its retention point, and provides channels for other features (e.g. safety levers) to slide directly out.

Reactions: Harley B Rider

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Range day 2:
Fired 200 rounds of mixed 124gr through the STI Staccato C today - ball and hollow point, reload and factory - all without so much as a hiccup. Accuracy was great all the way out to 20 yards. Shot several intermediate drills at various distances using a wide variety of magazines. Recoil control for follow up shots was as good or better than any other quality officer-size or Commander size 1911 that I own. Even shot multiple rounds with just my secondary hand without any problems.

The only issue I had today was with a Kimber magazine. Using reloads with Montana Gold hollowpoints loaded to 1.125 COAL, the first round would always nose dive into the feed ramp. No proplems with that ammo in any other magazine and no problem with that magazine loaded with any other ammo. (Note: that bullet at that length is just touching the rifling and doesn’t pass the spin test in this gun.)

Also fired 50 rounds of 115gr Winchester white box, again without any issues. The Staccato C does seem to favor 124gr, however. Great 20 yard accuracy with Federal 124gr HST, my go-to Carry round.

I had no problems with the red fiber optic front sight and black rear sight with the shooting booth light on or off. During the drills the red really caught my eye and always came up centered in the rear sight notch without conscious effort. I’ll attribute that to the great ergonomics of the STI grip.

I was a little concerned about running the drills with a 2.5 pound trigger, but I never had any issues with it. While the trigger is lighter than I prefer for a carry gun, I’d be comfortable with the Staccato C for EDC. (After 250 rounds out of the STI I put 50 rounds through a Springfield EMP Contour Carry and the 3.5 pound trigger in that gun seemed really heavy.)

If this gun performs as well over the next 200 round range trip - and I have absolutely no reason to believe it won’t - it may just replace my Dan Wesson ECO as my everyday carry gun, once I find a quality, affordable leather holster for it. (But so far, no luck on finding an AFFORDABLE leather holster.)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
A Warbird holster is not super expensive, provided that you don't request exotic leather.

I recently ordered an avenger style holster from Paul for about 125.

Reactions: Harley B Rider

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Warbird holster is not super expensive, provided that you don't request exotic leather.

I recently ordered an avenger style holster from Paul for about 125.
I’ll have to reach out to him. Thanks.

Reactions: BennyAdeline
1 - 7 of 7 Posts