STI Staccato C range report

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MHarvey, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hey Guys, hope everyone is doing well. I haven’t posted much in the last few months, but never really went away. The last time I posted I was selling a couple of safe queens (a Sig Legion 229 and a Wiley Clapp Colt Govt.) to get myself out of a jam on my old tractor. Once all that was settled, fast forward to about a year later and here I am back in the gun game. I recently purchased a STI Staccato C from Jess at Wichita Gun Club, and he was great to deal with. Thought I’d post a little range review on my thoughts on the gun and how it performed. I still have a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO and it’s my favorite shooter, so I tend to compare other guns to it. The Staccato is the most expensive gun I’ve purchased so I’m a stranger to anything other than run of the mill stuff. Never owned any customs, Wilsons, etc. so take my thoughts for what you wish. I picked up the gun today from my FFL, and immediately came home, field stripped it and cleaned it. With it being an aluminum frame and steel slide, I used gun grease as opposed to oil on the rails. This was something that was recommended to me on my Colt as well, as it’s also an aluminum frame. I’m not sure it’s necessary but it’s always worked so I kept with it. Took the gun out and put 150 rounds of Winchester White box 124 grain NATO through it. First thing I noticed is the gun shoots fantastic. This is my first 9mm 1911 style pistol and I really like it. Recoil is very low, as it should be, and much easier to control than my Colt CCO which is a 45. The trigger breaks clean and crisp, and is a little lighter than my Colt. STI states a 3.5lb trigger, and I’m sure it’s close but I don’t own a trigger pull gauge so I can’t give a final say on it. I had zero malfunctions with it, and hope that continues as I shoot it more. The fiber optic sight up front is great for my 47 year old eyes and works well with the blacked out rear. I have no complaints about the fit or function of the pistol at all. The thumb safety has a very positive engage/disengage action to it, which is my biggest pet peeve on the Colt CCO. It, by comparison is very “mushy” to engage and is very stiff to operate.
    There are really only 2 complaints that I have about anything to do with the Staccato. The mags are definitely not my favorite. They are STI mags with a bottom pad, and cause some issues with the mag release on the gun. You have to really slam them into the pistol (ridiculously hard) or hold the mag release as you insert them. I run Wilson mags in my CCO, so I tried one in the Staccato thinking it might be the mag release (they are 45 though so couldn’t fire it obviously) and they slide in and drop free without a problem. They don’t visually appear to be different in the pocket for the mag catch but I also didn’t measure anything with calipers, etc. I’m going to order a couple of Wilson 9mm mags for it tonight and I’ll report back if they are as smooth as the 45 mags I tried today. The other thing I’m having to get used to is the take down with the guide rod/recoil spring setup. There’s nothing wrong with it mechanically, but having a bull barrel it uses an uncaptured guide rod and spring setup similar to a Springer Champion, so it’s a little different on take down. I actually think the Springfield take down tool would probably fit the guide rod on this gun, but don’t own one to try it with.
    All in all, I have zero regrets on this purchase. I wanted to try something that was a little off the beaten path for me, and so far I like everything about it aside from the mags. I’m hoping that the Wilson’s cure that issue and then it’ll be perfect in my book.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Great review. Thanks. I was curious about these. I obviously do not have a Staccaco, but I my two STIs have been fantastic. Seems like a great company.

3. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for the input. This is the first STI I’ve owned so it was unknown territory for me. I jumped on the pre order bandwagon and was hoping for a positive outcome. So far, I have to say it was worth it.
    Also a couple of other things came to mind after my initial post. Ejection was really consistent, and was around 4 feet to my 3:30-4:00. Frame to slide fit is considerably tighter than my Colt CCO, although accuracy on my Colt has been very good. I feel the Staccato might be slightly more accurate, but they’re both more accurate than I am. I may try to bench rest them soon and shoot them back to back to test out my feelings. It may just also be with less recoil, it feels more accurate. It’s definitely faster on follow up shots for me though due to the lower recoil.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Greenrunner likes this.
  4. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013

5. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Sounds good. Can post dome pics with it in your hand?

6. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    07BEC951-CF00-4F8B-9BFD-B28E446D2D92.jpeg 4A2B0B15-AAD3-4076-82DD-85F12832C9C0.jpeg F95DAE8F-CA3D-4D16-8667-22412EDEBEEA.jpeg
    Comparison pic with the CCO on length...

dash, RN47, Jollyroger1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Love that pistol! Wish they had the option to chamber it in .45 ACP!

8. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have well over 30 STI’s and they all have been great shooters and a great company to deal with.

MHarvey likes this.
  9. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Imperial, I know the feeling on the 45 caliber. Unfortunately for me, arthritis is starting to give me problems in my hands and the 9mm is definitely easier to enjoy in the smaller guns. I still love that Colt, but it’ll get shot a lot less now that this one has arrived.
    Descartian, that’s good to hear. You can get pretty nervous reading various things on the web about STI. I know they’ve done some re-working on their personnel in the last few months and it seems like its been a good move. I’m sure it’s like everything else on the web too though, the unhappy ones are the ones that bark the loudest.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  10. indyal

indyal Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Mharvey, thank you for the pictures. I am liking this even more.

11. Patton2018

Patton2018 Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Thanks for the report, waiting on mine.

12. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    You’re welcome, its an enjoyable gun to shoot and you won’t be disappointed if you choose one.

Sounds good Patton, hope you like yours as much as I do this one. After getting yours, please report back on how you like it. I’m also curious to see if the mag issue is common or just an issue with my particular gun. I’m going to look into it a little more this weekend when I’ll have some more time to shoot it.

13. Switchride

Switchride Active Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks for the pics of the size of it in hand. I am now even more interested in finding a shop somewhere so I can see one in person.

14. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    No problem, I’d say there may be a few out there but it seems like they’re still pretty scarce right now. I know there have been a couple for sale on Gunbroker, but not sure of the locations of those shops. I’d say in the next couple of months they will start showing up in stock though. Unfortunately for me, there’s not a STI dealer anywhere in my area so I knew even if I waited I’d probably never see one in person.

15. rm2092

rm2092 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Mine arrived yesterday, mags seem to insert with no problems so the only complaint is the mags are kinda of herd to load with ammo or is it just me ?

16. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    If you want to make the short drive from GA to MD we are getting more in today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted